• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternator conks off in Linea TJet - Wrong Diagnosis by Wasan

Ek aur jagah status update
      karna padega?

Awesome

So finally on Friday, the alternator arrived at Wasan and it was fitted in my car. Got a call at around 4 pm that after trial etc the car is ready to be collected by me. I reached an hour later and inspected. Upon connecting the multi-meter, battery was showing 13.1v at rest (yes it is high, but that's because we tested immediately after switching off engine. Also, I suspect they might have charged my battery in the fear that a failing alternator may have drained it). Upon cranking, it was showing full 14.4v.

I have been told that this is the first case of alternator failure in a TJet that Wasan has seen. Probably it is a first for a TJet across India as per them too. I have no way to confirm (other than this forum). In either case, this is one statistic that I neither wish to remember nor be proud to be a part of.

I had a long argument with Mr. Shetty (Workshop Manager, Wasan Motors) about reimbursing me / making good my expense of being forced to buy a new battery when (most probably) my OE Exide still had life left. After all, it was a case of pure wrong diagnosis by their technician and despite multiple requests by me to check alternator and wiring, he declared that it was ONLY the battery that was faulty.

As expected, it yielded no positive result. He gave me all kinds of weird (read useless & impractical) solutions i.e. I should return my new Amaron battery to the dealer and take back my old battery, or that their OBD scanner was not working *that day* when I came, or simply because there were too many cars to attend to and hence the technician was overloaded with work. (So he took the quickest way out by blaming my battery. WOW!). He even went to the extent of saying that all this could have been avoided if I would have just bought a new (overpriced) Exide battery from Wasan itself. Then they would have taken out the new battery and returned my old battery/or any other battery from their stockyard etc.

I didn't see any point in continuing the debate, but left only after I made him admit his fault. In the end he was repeatedly apologizing for the incompetency of his staff in being able to diagnose the fault, despite me telling him ALL the symptoms. But despite everything, he was adamant that the ONLY reason they zeroed down on the battery being faulty was because WASAN has never seen an alternator conk off in a Fiat car. Yes, it might be an unheard event, but does it still make a case for not inspecting the electrical to begin with?
      JVC KD-R 926BT | Focal Polyglass 165VB & 165CVX | Blaupunkt GTA 4 Special | Ground Zero GZ TW MK2 | Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 | Scosche e2 E400 | Gladen RCA & Bandridge speaker cable

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by dj.nish View Post
      he was adamant that the ONLY reason they zeroed down on the battery being faulty was because WASAN has never seen an alternator conk off in a Fiat car. Yes, it might be an unheard event, but does it still make a case for not inspecting the electrical to begin with?
      Thanks for the update, hope all goes well from this point.

Service centers guys are one lazy bunch of guys who don't want to spend time in analyzing a problem, which in turn creates new problems. At times, it is really frustrating to argue with them because they tend to believe that customer's point of view is not correct. In this case too, you were forced to buy a new battery even when alternator itself was faulty.
      2012 Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium, 2006 Bajaj Pulsar 150

I was lonely driving here tonight so I hugged the road.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information