• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose an ICE friendly smartphone

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Help me choose an ICE friendly smartphone

Hi people,

Iv been searching the internet for this but cannot seem to find a solution to this problem. My situation below:
      1. I used to buy music from flipkart. They have now shut down their digital music store, so Ill be switching to the iTunes store. Did not use iTunes earlier as I dont have a credit card. Will be getting one now as its the only way to buy stuff from iTunes. (although weirdly enough, my sister can purchase stuff from the iTunes store through her ICICI debit card through her iPhone 4S; I had itunes installed in my PC to try it and have had no such luck with my HDFC debit card; )
      2. I currently use USB sticks to play my music in my car. My HU is the Kenwood 6046.
      3. I am planning to buy a smartphone (yes, it will be my first one! . Did not have the money to buy one as I blew up all my money on ICE !) My natural choice IS the iphone 4s (34k in delhi). The internet tells me its the best phone for a music lover (iTunes, best SQ through headphones). My HU alllows me to search music better when i connect an iPhone.
      4. Off late Ive been tempted my the nexus 4 (26 k in delhi). Its cheaper and a lotta people have been saying android is now at par with iOS.

So my questions are:

1. What does it mean when they say that a HU is "made for iphone" .. is it just the search feature ?
      2. I can always get a credit card and buy music from itunes to my PC.. is the music DRM free and can I copy it to a nexus and play it in my car?
      3. will the nexus connect as well as the iphone to my HU... Im guessing the HU will not search music as well as it does on an iphone? are there made for android SQ HUs available? is that a deal breaker...

AutoBots India

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by misterkapoor View Post
      My natural choice IS the iphone 4s
      go for it. though check prices for iPhone 5 as well before deciding. i play music from my iPhone using aux cable to OEM HU and the output is better than most of the other smartphones including galaxy s3/s4, BB 9900, HTC one (i have compared all these).
      also if in any case, you want good quality output without spending much, get yourself an iPod nano (iTouch is overpriced IMO). i also use my iPod occasionally and the output is far better than any smartphone present out there.

What does it mean when they say that a HU is "made for iphone" .. is it just the search feature ?
      yes. it means you connect your iPhone/iPod via usb cable and browse your library directly from HU.

buy music from itunes
      can I copy it to a nexus
      i don't think thats possible. iTunes won't recognize a non-apple product.
      2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Avantgarde (w204)
      2017 Honda City iVtec
      2011 i20
      Winner- 301w-600w category Bass Battle (2016, Buddh International Circuit)
      Winner- 501-1000w category Bass Battle (2017, Shakedown DTU)
      Rainbow // Celestra // Rockford Fosgate // Sundown Audio // Digital Designs // Monster XLN // SHOK // Knukonceptz // Dynamat // Dampmat

TEAMRMS.IN
      FACEBOOK.COM/AUTOBOTSINDIA

Saving for a T-Jet

Awesome

Not an ICE expert but let me share my views here. There are three ways to play music from a phone. 1 USB direct connection 2 AUX cable 3 with Bluetooth A2DP.

Option 1 you need to check your HU which mobile phones it supports or any phone which works as a mass storage device should work

Option 2 works well, but you won't be able to skip / change tracks from steering mounted controls or HU . only option is to change it from the mobile it self.
      Option 3 works well but avoid android jelly bean phones as the sound quality will be poor because of a bug in A2DP. Winmobile or iphone should work fine though.

By the way you can use the songs purchased in itunes in nexus. They will be in aac format you can always convert them to mp3 and use anywhere.
      Last edited by linuxmanju; 30th Jun 2013 at 14:43.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by karan22 View Post
      play music from my iPhone using aux cable to OEM HU and the output is better than most of the other smartphones including galaxy s3/s4, BB 9900, HTC one (i have compared all these).
      I dont use Aux as it does not deliver the kind of quality that USB can. Ive been doing some more research and Iv found out with an HU thats made for iphone, the HU will also usually by pass the iphone DAC and use its own (better) DAC.
      Quote Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
      By the way you can use the songs purchased in itunes in nexus.
      Yeah saw that in about.com today. It said that after 2009 itunes music is DRM free which means I should be able to transfer it to another non apple device.

For sure itunes is the only way to buy digital music in India... is 256 AAC better than 320 mp3 ? yet to find out...but should that limit me to an iphone ?

Spammer™

Secret

Help me choose an ICE friendly smartphone

misterkapoor iPhone 4/ 4S sound musch better than the iPhone5 when it comes to music quality.

Awesome

Android fans ... no convincing arguments for the Nexus 4 ?

Saving for a T-Jet

Awesome

Android fans ... no convincing arguments for the Nexus 4 ?
      If your intention is to use it through USB it does not matter which phone beause phone's DAC does not come into the picture at all. It does not matter if its I phone or a 6 k micromax both sound as good as your HU can deliver.

As the usb connectivity will work either in mass storage mode or MTP.
      Last edited by linuxmanju; 30th Jun 2013 at 20:29.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

My natural choice IS the iphone 4s (34k in delhi). The internet tells me its the best phone for a music lover (iTunes, best SQ through headphones).
      You may have to change your opinion after hearing from Mi10, he has done lot of successful experiments with phone-ICE.

In between you can go through few of his threads which are related to your topic:
      The Future is this - Step by Step Video for Extracting Digital out from Android Phones*

Project InCEption® - 24 Bit / 96 Khz Audio | FLAC / WAV support | TouchScreen | Navigation | Communication | Apps | Games | NFC | OBD

I hope it helps

Ritzzzzzz

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
      Not an ICE expert but let me share my views here. There are three ways to play music from a phone. 1 USB direct connection 2 AUX cable 3 with Bluetooth A2DP.

Option 2 works well, but you won't be able to skip / change tracks from steering mounted controls or HU . only option is to change it from the mobile it self.
      This can be achievable if you head unit support iPhone
      E.g jvc kwr900bt + iPhone

Saving for a T-Jet

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by prash2k01 View Post
      This can be achievable if you head unit support iPhone
      E.g jvc kwr900bt + iPhone
      You mean, You can change tracks and skip through songs only with AUX cable ?. That's interesting. Thanks for letting me know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information