• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Muc-off Übershine Luxury Car Shampoo - Review

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Muc-off Übershine Luxury Car Shampoo - Review

I have spent a ton of money on detailing products over the last year or so, but for some reason I never bought a proper car shampoo. I used to wash my car with plain water earlier, and in recent months with ONR or Dodo Juice LoE. However, the car is getting severely dirty in the monsoon, especially on the lower part of side panels and no amount of rinseless washes is effective against this onslaught. So I decided it was time I got her a shampoo.

Now the choices were many - Meguiar's, Muc-off, Eagle One, Abro & Sonax being the most commonly available ones. I had heard good words about Muc-off from baranjil, and it was enough for me to zero-in on that. So bought one litre bottle of this from okloot.com. Here's the link -

http://okloot.com/Car-Care/Car-Wash/...poo-308---1LTR

It cost me Rs. 700/- including shipping. Ordered it last Thursday late night & received this Wednesday. An okay experience overall.

It didn't rain much yesterday & today morning, and the car was begging for a good wash, so decided to give this a try. Here's a review. Take it asgain with as pinch (or a load) of salt, since I don't have anything else to compare with.

Description from the website -

• pH Balanced formula for easy cleaning and a spot-free finish
      • Rich foaming action
      • Won't strip away wax protection
      • Gentle on all paint finishes as well as rubber, vinyl and plastics
      • Clear coat safe
      • Fresh Apple Burst scent
      • Availble in 500ml and 1 litre bottles

Muc-Off Übershine is an incredibly advanced car shampoo that breaks down even the toughest dirt, oil and road grime without compromising valuable wax protection. Übershine has a pH balanced formula that provides a rich, cleansing foam that's gentle on all painted finishes as well as rubber, vinyl and plastic components. The specially engineered water softeners reduce deposits in hard water, and leave behind a spot-free, luxurious shine.

Available in 500ml and 1 litre bottles

Directions for Use -

Now here's where the confusion starts. Official website says - mix 40 ml of shampoo to one bucket of water. One bucket of what size? I searched online & found that it's 40 ml shampoo to 4 litres of water. Now that seemed too concentrated. Also, I had read baranjil say that even 5 ml er bucket is sufficient. It took some frantic posting to get his feedback, and he confirmed about 5 ml. Thanks for taking time from your busy schedule and answering my posts. I decided to start with 5 ml and add if required.

Eventually I somehow ended up mixing 10 ml in about 6-7 litres of water. However, the single most important property of any shampo is lubricity, and the solution didn't feel soapy enough to my hand. So I added another 10 ml, and a litre of water. This water was from a tap, and produced a nice lather.

Procedure followed -

I don't have a pressure washer. Also, I live in an apartment where there is a hose ban. Funny part is that you can use as many buckets as you want, but use a hosepipe and there's a hefty fine. So the only alternative left was two bucket wash.

Took shampoo solution in one bucket & clean water in another. I used an MF noodle mitt for washing purpose. However, before starting with the wash, filled some of the shampoo solution in a spray bottle and sprayed the bottom part of side panels with it to moisten them & possibly loosen the dirt. Then I soaked the mitt in shampoo slolution & started washing from the roof.

It was quite windy today and that was drying off the shampoo faster than usual, so after doing one side, I rinsed it off with clean water before proceeding with the other side, then the front & then the rear.

Since I had only consumed about half of the shampoo solution, decided to use the balance & finish off the wheels too, though this was not the plan when I started. All of this took me about 1.5 hours which is reasonable, considering the state of the car.

Observations -

Pros -

1. The mitt glided on the paint surface effortlessly. It was a very good feeling.
      2. One mittful of shampoo covered a lot of area. As a result I needed only about 4 litres of the solution for entire car. even after cleaning the wheels about 2-2.5 litres was still left.
      3. The cleaning prowess of the shampoo is very good too. It removed all the stubborn muck from the paint surface. What took a little time & effort was the few bird droppings. I was further surprised to see how effectively it cleaned the wheels & tyres.
      4. Even if we consider 10 ml of the shampoo per wash, it comes to only Rs. 7/- per wash, which is quite economical. One litre bottle will last me 2 years even if I wash my car every week.
      5. The smell is great. Not as divine as Carpro Eraser or Dodo Juice LoE (these re kind of benchmarks for me), but still very nice. Helps make the wash a little more pleasurable.

Cons -

1. It starts spotting if it dries on the paint. However, this probably is true for all shampoos.
      2. Needs a lot of water to rinse off. I needed at least 70 litres of water just for rinsing - that's a little too much. Should be better with a pressure washer.
      3. Even after using this much water, I was not sure tht I was able to remove all the residue from paint.

Conclusion -

It's a very good product, especially if you have asccess to a pressure washer or running water. I would recommend mixing 5 ml in 5 litres of water for a car which is normal dirty, and 10 ml in 5 litres if the car is more thn normal dirty.

Photographs -

No review is complete without pics, so here they are -

Before -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130727_080145.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	149874

Name:	20130727_080204.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	149875

Name:	20130727_080243.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	149876

After -

Name:	20130727_093332.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	149877

Name:	20130727_093347.jpg 
Views:	20 
ID:	149878

Name:	20130727_093412.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	149879

Name:	20130727_093423.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	149880

The cleaned wheel (sorry, no before pics for wheels since this was unplanned)

Name:	20130727_093435.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	149881

Beading from a drizzle after the wash. Note that it's not quite tight, leading me to believe that there was still some shampoo residue left on the paint -

Name:	20130727_093958.jpg 
Views:	27 
ID:	149882

Name:	20130727_094011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	149883

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

An update on this. After the wash yesterday, the car ran about 100 km and became quite mucky again, so again washed her with shampoo today evening.

This time I used 5 ml of shampoo in about 4.5 litres of water. This worked quite well, since the muck was reasonably fresh and had not baked on the paint.

Consumed about 4 litres of the solution without wheels. Since this was less concentrated than yesterday, it was a little bit easier to rinse off too.

I also forgot to mention yesterday - as claimed, the shampoo is gentle on the LSP and does not strip it.

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Blog Entries
      My car had gathered tons of caked and baked muck around the lower half of the front panels from the three or so weeks of on and off rain. I did soak the area with the Megs NXT soap solution and the mud didn't quite loosen easily. It needed some agitation by hand which I dread for the fear of inflicting scratches.

I'm actually looking to buy a stronger soap that allows me simply rinse off such tough grime with garden hose. I don't mind loosing my LSP from such rare washes where I know the dirt wouldn't have spared much of the LSP. Will the Muc-off shampoo be of any help here?

driveclean.in

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      Will the Muc-off shampoo be of any help here?
      I'll bring sample for you tomorrow. Try it on your own

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by baranjil View Post
      I'll bring sample for you tomorrow. Try it on your own
      After a 4-hour of detailing last week-end, I just wish it doesn't rain again for atleast a month But please do post your past experiences, especially Guru the bucket washer.

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Guru ji What do you think? Will Muc off shampoo loosen tough caked-in grime enough so it can be simply rinsed off without having to rub with wash mitt?

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      Will Muc off shampoo loosen tough caked-in grime enough so it can be simply rinsed off without having to rub with wash mitt?
      nope not gonna work that way...shampoos by nature are not meant for touchless cleaning

For touchless cleaning you need a prewash / snow foam / TFR (though chances are TFR will take off your LSP also)

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
      One bucket of what size?
      standard 2 / 3 gallons bucket generally around 8-10 litres or half of a 16-20 litres bucket

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
      2. Needs a lot of water to rinse off. I needed at least 70 litres of water just for rinsing - that's a little too much. Should be better with a pressure washer.
      3. Even after using this much water, I was not sure tht I was able to remove all the residue from paint.
      i dont like these kind of shampoos impossible to get residues off with a buckets...give me a low foaming easily rinsed off shampoo any time

Thread Information