• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Suggestion

In the emerald isle!!

Awesome

Bicycle Suggestion

Hey friends.. i am new to "the bicycle" business.. and in my childhood..."the cycle" was not so complicated..

So need some suggestions from the pro's here

My purpose of buying a cycle is not for the sheer enjoyment of cycling.. but rather aid photography... i am into a bit of nature photography and i love travelling off road. So here are my requirments

1. Off road
      2. I am 5'11" and 72Kg.. so i guess a large frame would fit.. some cycle store told me this.
      3. My weekly contribution to greener earth would be <5Kms.
      4. My equipments in the backpack is costlier than me.. and more importantly home ministry won't allow a refill!! So i need a sturdy n reliable bike and with really good handling.. i guess..
      5. Budget is 15-20K ... if i can get cheaper.. the extra money goes to the next lens fund
      6. Maintenance and service.
      Sri

Canon 5D Mark iii (Getting soon :D )
      Canon 16-35 F4L IS USM
      Canon 24-70 F4L IS USM
      Canon 70-200 F4L USM
      Canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM
      Nisi V5-Pro Filter system
      + Some more madness!!

Lone Ranger

Awesome

Hi Sri,

My 2 cents,

Based on your above post i guess you have already shortlisted MTB, Not to under estimate your preference nor decision i would want you to go through the below links and then shortlist the type of bike.

1. An article from bikeszone ( BikesZone - Cycling View topic - Want to buy a bike? READ THIS FIRST )

Once you finalize the bike type then you can check the below stores for the awesome bikes and deals

1. BOTS ( The best multi-brand bicycle store in Bangalore/India | BumsOnTheSaddle )

2. Wheelsports ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheel...07099686007884 )

3. Pedals and Wheels ( https://www.facebook.com/pedalsnwheels )

4. Fitness Through Travel ( Fitness Through Travel - Home )

5. RR Cycles ( Marathalli, Madivala, Majestic, Ulsoor )

Hope this helps you. Kindly let me know if you need any other details.
      "We Ride therefore we are"- RTMC(Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Club) Website:http://rtmc.info/site/
      |2006- Honda Unicorn - 50K - SOLD||2007- Maruti 800 AC 43K - Happy Motoring||2008- Suzuki Zeus -25K - SOLD||2010- Schwinn Sporterra - 7K-Go Green|
      |2009- Royal Enfield Thunderbird -85K- Happily Thumping|"Rabid dog club: Bite first bark later "

In the emerald isle!!

Awesome

Thank you so much .. that thread is really an awesome amount info put in simple language..
      Sri

Canon 16-35 F4L IS USM
      Canon 24-70 F4L IS USM
      Canon 70-200 F4L USM
      Canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM
      + Some more madness!!

Lone Ranger

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Srinathm7 View Post
      thread is really an awesome amount info put in simple language..
      Yes, It is a beginner's guide. An Eye Opener for sure. Please note that all the points mentioned over there are contributed from various cyclists and from their experiences.
      "We Ride therefore we are"- RTMC(Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Club) Website:http://rtmc.info/site/
      |2006- Honda Unicorn - 50K - SOLD||2007- Maruti 800 AC 43K - Happy Motoring||2008- Suzuki Zeus -25K - SOLD||2010- Schwinn Sporterra - 7K-Go Green|
      |2009- Royal Enfield Thunderbird -85K- Happily Thumping|"Rabid dog club: Bite first bark later "

In the emerald isle!!

Awesome

Finally got my bike... after quite a bit of a research n studies.

Brand : Kross
      Model : Hexagon X7
      Type : Mountain

Well i have blown my budget +5K.. all together a package for 26k
      Sri

Canon 16-35 F4L IS USM
      Canon 24-70 F4L IS USM
      Canon 70-200 F4L USM
      Canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM
      + Some more madness!!

Lone Ranger

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Srinathm7 View Post
      Brand : Kross
      Model : Hexagon X7
      Type : Mountain

Well i have blown my budget +5K.. all together a package for 26k
      Congrats on getting enabled. Please post a review and pics of the bike. It will help other interested buyers. Also very keen to understand how did you narrow down on this particular brand and model.

In the emerald isle!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by raama View Post
      Congrats on getting enabled. Please post a review and pics of the bike. It will help other interested buyers. Also very keen to understand how did you narrow down on this particular brand and model.
      Thank you.. i will put in a review on it after couple of weeks of usage. Ok now coming to how i zeroed in on Kross

Per my requirements and this is all learnt from reading the blogs n review websites

1. Off road

This is a mountain bike and with a fork travel of 100mm and has lockout option. So riding on well paved roads as well as Trails wouldn't be a problem.
      2. I am 5'11" and 72Kg

Yep, this is a large frame bike.
      3. My weekly contribution to greener earth would be <5Kms.

I took test drives of Raleigh, KHS, Axis, Merida, Trek, Tern, Kross, Fuji, Canondale. I found the noiseless shifting on Trek 3900 ( But way off the budget). Kross was equivalently good as well. Axis was the most irritating one. Raleigh was a very very light bike. Tern - its a folding one so was a bit finicky about the joint.

4. My equipment in the backpack is costlier than me.. and more importantly home ministry won't allow a refill!! So i need a sturdy n reliable bike and with really good handling.. i guess..
      I wanted disc brakes as i heard mud n water on wheels could get me into trouble with v-brakes. So to be on the safer side i chose disc brakes. Most of my trips will be near places with lots of water n mud ( Dwelling places of insects n dragonflies). so chose x7 with discs.
      Also the weight of the bike, its very very light. Only weight would be the big fat tyres .. Maxxis L****n TT. ( Am starting to like the thread pattern as well )

5. Budget is 15-20K

I was looking at 20K range and found good models in that range. Especially merida , raleigh and axis. Then came kross, the brand is making an entry into indian market and is giving aggressive pricing. 20% discounts flat!! Coming to the price , Kross Hexagon x7 is retailing around 35K. So taking 20% off ..Rs 28K. But i got it even cheaper.. You could PM for the price n dealer details.

Now kross has few other things which i found interesting
      1. Rear derailleur - Alivio ( Mid range component in shimano lineup and its noiseless n smoother when you shift)
      Rest all components when you compare with similar priced bike is same or even better.
      2. I love the design and overall color scheme
      So i thought of extending the budget a little n getting a better cycle.

6. Maintenance and service.
      90% of the parts of the bike are common across bikes. Shimano / SRAM so getting them fixed would not be an issue. Only things which kross would make is the frame, seat posts, handle bars n all... There is around 5+ years of warranty on the kross made components..
      Sri

Canon 16-35 F4L IS USM
      Canon 24-70 F4L IS USM
      Canon 70-200 F4L USM
      Canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM
      + Some more madness!!

In the emerald isle!!

Awesome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cycle1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	155289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cycle2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	155290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cycle3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1,006.0 KB 
ID:	155291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cycle4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	738.8 KB 
ID:	155292 Focal length is a bit odd .. as i dint have any other lens other than the macro ..
      Sri

Canon 16-35 F4L IS USM
      Canon 24-70 F4L IS USM
      Canon 70-200 F4L USM
      Canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM
      + Some more madness!!

In search of POWER

Hungry

Srinathm7 - A usage review of the bike would be nice.
      Ripper and raama - Two other people who are into cycles; please start a few threads of your experiences also please, for a budding cyclist.
      2012 Cruze Eco 1.4Turbo ... Commuter Car

In the emerald isle!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by krish View Post
      Srinathm7 - A usage review of the bike would be nice.
      Sure. But i am not a true cyclist.. so my review might be a bit different from what you are looking for.

Kross i found to be very easy to use interms of weight and the overall frame rigidity. It can tackle most of the rugged terrain i throw at it. The gear shifts are very smooth and noiseless. I didn't like the pedals which came with it as it had notches for better grip but does pinch your calf when you are carrying the cycle up a stairs.. i keep my cycle inside my apartment. So i changed those to the folding ones to help there.. but does comprise the grip on the pedal.

The maxxis tyres are pretty rugged as well... gives plenty of grip and has strong sidewalls.. disc brakes do work well as well...

Design wise.. it surely is a head turner!! I would say.. people interested in cycling would literally stop you to ask about the bike.. it certainly looks very very good... especially the black bike with orange accents..

I had some initial glitches of not knowing how to maintain the bike... basically i oiled it too much n chain started to give an odd feeling in certain gears... went through a few youtube videos and now i do the cleaning stuff by myself n re-lube if required. Since i go into alot of dusty zones .. lots of dirt gets stuck due to the wet lube which came along with the bike.. now i have changed to a dry lube and it is perfect for me..

Overall i am very happy with the bike... but getting kross accessories is a bit of challenge .. their accessory range is very appealing as well..

P.S : This is my first bike... so have not tried anything to compare with..
      Sri

Canon 16-35 F4L IS USM
      Canon 24-70 F4L IS USM
      Canon 70-200 F4L USM
      Canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM
      + Some more madness!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information