• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: overdrive chief editor rant on cyclist

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Angry overdrive chief editor rant on cyclist

Read a article couple of days back

http://overdrive.in/opinions/cycle-t...here-but-here/

don't know what editor was smoking

#mods if already discussed delete it
      manjunath.in

XUV W10
      Swift Dzire VDI
      ZEN VXI

Not on GH anymore!

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by manju100 View Post
      Read a article couple of days back

http://overdrive.in/opinions/cycle-t...here-but-here/

#mods if already discussed delete it

What an idiot. Who made him executive editor?
      My Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/103602929@N08

!

Awesome

Looks like Mr.Editor had a bad time in Mumbai traffic and mommy wasnt ready to hear him cry about it.
      I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

One of the many reasons I don't read overdrive now. However, I do feel that nobody should have commented. That would have sent the message clearly to him. Just ignore, and see how he will be forced to toe the line.

Thanks,
      Simple_car

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Overdrive is a mag that I stopped reading a looooong time back. I found most of their articles to be clearly poorly researched (if ever!) and factually incorrect. Hell, they could have found more accurate information if they had as much as bothered to peruse a product brochure!
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

I didn't comment on that article, even though I was sorely tempted. If I meet him in person, things might get interesting. I'm a little upset that the article is getting so many views. Being the jerk off that he is, he's probably boasting about the page view count and the number of people he's managed to **** off right now.
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

has left gearheads

Secret

Sounds like the man was on his chums..a foolish article by a foolish brute..

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Probably some good quality hashish...

Enjoying Bangalore rain and
      weather

Awesome

Looks like the editor is Honda fanboy deriding a particular cyclist and A-star

4 days ago
      By editor
      So, my opinion piece here has come in for tremendous criticism. The cycling community, it seems, has taken the column personally. And, not surprisingly, my position in the magazine, my ability to judge and my maturity levels have all been questioned. I have been called some interesting names by the cycling community as well.

It's nice to see a particular community come out so strongly in support for its cause. It almost makes me wish that motorcyclists in India too were such a tightly knit bunch. As for my column, or rant if you will, it possibly came out a tad too strong. But, isnt that what happens to us in a fit of anger. It unbalances us. So, to those who were offened by my opinions, my apologies.

Also, my rant wasn't against the cycling community as a whole. It was against one particular bicyclist on the road. But this, clearly, did not go down too well with the peddler crowd in general.

So as a recap, this is what happened...

A cyclist dressed in black cycling gear on a black bicycle with no lights or reflectors was cutting through evening peak hour traffic quite dangerously. He literally knocked off a few car mirrors in the process. He was cutting across three lanes of traffic with no concern for any other road user at all. Now we all know cars look for gaps in traffic too, and they cut lanes just to save a minute or so of their commute time as well. But, this move is based on what they see in their rear view mirror. As a result, a cyclist, who is not visible to these cars, has a high likelihood of being run over by the four-wheeled types.

Now here's the point I was trying to make. If a cyclist chooses to ride on main roads, among cars, the least he or she can do is to make oneself visible. Motorcyclist do it all the time because they realise it's important for their own preservation. I wish the cyclist I was sharing the road with had realised that, and had worn a high-visibility jacket or reflective riding gear. Rim reflectors, lights or even high visibility taping at places would have helped hugely.

Then there was the question of speed. When the traffic is moving slowly, everyone around assumes sudden moves to pick a gap won't result in a massive crash. Plainly because the speeds are low, a car can come to a stop immediately. Now imagine, a car decides to change lanes because a gap has opened up in the next lane. The car would like to do it as swiftly as possible. But no matter how swift, it can't be done at over 20kmph. So the car swerves left at the same time our cyclist friend is making a pass (because the car obviously hasn't spotted the cycle). The cycle is doing around 50kmph. A nudge is all it would take at this speed to send the cyclist flying over and into cars, resulting in broken bones. Worst case scenario, he might land under the tyre of a crawling truck. And we all know how that ends.

If our cyclist friend hadn't been going this fast and cutting through traffic so dangerously, all the while trying to be invisible, maybe my opinion piece would have never come about because he won't have been a hindrance. But he being a hindrance is my side of the story as a motorist. What about a cyclist in general?

I feel as more and more Indians take to cycling, it's important they be educated on the subject properly. Cyclists are vulnerable on the road, more than motorcyclists even. And, therefore, they need a mature head. Things like being visible, staying away from vehicles and avoiding riding at night are just a few things they need to keep in mind. And these are for the cyclist's benefit more than the motorist. I mean just look at the odds — in a car versus cycle crash who do you think will be worse off.

The cyclists riding up to Leh from Manali are perfect examples of mature riders. I respect their spirit and strength, even though I don't understand how something so exhausting can be interwoven with a holiday. But like they say — to each his own.

What's worth learning from these guys though (for the city centric cycling community), is their strong sense of self-preservation. They don't ride at night. They ride with lights, reflectors and bright clothing, so they are visible from a kilometre away. They are constantly aware of their surroundings and pull to a stop by the side of the road if they spot a vehicle coming (which they almost always do) because they know sharing the road with tonnes of metal is not the most sensible thing to do; it's downright dangerous.

Even abroad where cycling is a lot more prevalent than in India, motorists and cyclists might share the same route, but more often than not, there are dedicated cycle tracks all along, away from the road. It's deemed safer for cyclists to mix it up with pedestrians than with cars. And obviously, they didn't just do it because a motorist didn't like sharing the same piece of road with a cycle. It's a safety concern.

So Mr Cyclist (not the whole community), if you are reading this, do yourself a favour — get visible and sensible, while I will hope you reached home safe.

RESPONSES
      Mr Cyclist • 7 days ago
      I am shocked that a popular magazine like overdrive is running this rant you have vented out. This piece of crap you have managed to jot down and call an article has absolutely no relevance as it is not backed up by facts at all. All this "article" of yours manages to do is to show us how much of a childish arrogant and selfish snob you are to call every cyclist a "miser". Citizens deciding to commute on cycles is something Mumbai or any major city in India needs desperately as of now. It reduces demand for petroleum and thus its prices (your welcome), it reduces pollution in the environment (you might notice if you ever removed your big head from that air conditioned blue jazz of yours) and it replaces a car on the road with a tiny cycle reducing traffic. Yes the advantages of me cycling are shared by both of us and unfortunately so are the disadvantages of you driving. Your idea of "not being a miser" by driving to the gym so that you can run and cycle while totally not moving at all is hilarious. And HOW DARE YOU imply that cyclists are not careful while riding? its our life on the line. Cyclists are certainly more responsible than most drivers out there because no matter whose fault an accident might be the cyclist will almost always get hurt (It is noteworthy that there have been no cases of drunk cycling). You should take your tiny little "tired mind" and go to hell as you definitely shouldn't be "piloting the car" if your too tired to react to a cycle on the road. Let me tell you that a cycle is probably the slowest thing on the road. If your too tired to react to that maybe you should hire a chauffeur. Your not a miser now, are you ?
      148 •Share ›
      Keviv Mr Cyclist • 6 days ago
      See the ads running on this page ? That's what this article is all about .
      16 •Share ›
      Shubhankar • 7 days ago
      What utter nonsense (about the cyclist). You sir, look like you've had a bad road experience with a cyclist and just venting out your biased and prejudiced displeasure. Cycling is an activity which needs to be heavily encouraged and is probably the best solution to unclogging the roads and promoting a healthy lifestyle. While i do not want to promote recklessness among road cyclists, i am very curious as to where exactly your apparently abundant cycling tracks are (in India atleast). I presume you must be driving a s****y saloon (apart from your jazz) which needs all the road space it can get. But the truth is, commuting on a bicycle needs all the support it can get. One way is having cycling lanes built so that you saloon types can let the cyclists ride in peace (not the other way round). Unfortunately for the cyclists, the only thing abundant is guys like you who cant think beyond patronising cycling as a money saving technique and discouraging people to even give it a shot. Bah, philistines !
      71 •Share ›
      Karan • 7 days ago
      What an awful article(more of a childish rant than an article) and that too coming from the editor. You'll find a higher number of morons behind the steering wheel than you will find on a cycle. Cyclists are probably the most well mannered and careful people on the road since their lives are on the line. If you crash, you have airbags and hundreds of other safety mechanisms to save you while a cyclist does not. I've seen several drivers texting or talking on the phone while driving-yeah, they are super safe and deserve to be on the road more than a careful cyclist just because they are in a car, right?
      Most first world countries are now going full steam ahead to promote cycling (UK,USA and most of Western Europe is already geared towards cycling) but it is regressive people like you who will keep the roads so crowded and polluted here in India.
      Oh, and to back up your poorly researched opinion(sorry, can't call this an article) would you care to show me a single "specially prepared cycling track" that is still functional?
      Your comment about being a miser is hilarious, most people who use Lycra and other cycling specific clothing may well have cycles that cost more than a motor cycle, so money isn't the issue.
      I hope the rest of your magazine consists of properly researched articles and not juvenile, uninformed rants like this...
      64 •Share ›
      Proud to be a cyclist • 7 days ago −
      What a utter rubbish article? and you call yourself the executive editor at overdrive? For sure one thing is i am immedietly cancelling my subscription of overdrive. This piece of shit you have written shows gallons of your resentful attitude you are trying to hide up inside you. Shame on the post you are holding for writing this crap on cyclists. What the heck do you think you are one big bozo who can write whatever you fancy about? And cyclists are not miser.....get that straight fact in your face....we spend thousands and even lakhs to get a proper cycle and even more thousands to maintain it...but you wouldnt understand as you already made your opinion. This poor article shows the helm of affairs that runs on your magazine, and no wonder the last few issues went right in to the bin as you were the executive editor....I am pretty much convinced what kind of a loser you are to post such a self ranting article. and hey same road and same rules....if you have a problem ride in your playground....dont come out and be a disgrace to the road users
      52 •Share ›
      Ishaan Bharadwaj Proud to be a cyclist • 5 days ago
      I just cancelled my subscription!
      20 •Share ›
      Last edited by WOODSNAKE; 25th Aug 2013 at 08:15.
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

"Success is like your own shadow, if u try to catch then u will never succeed, ignore it and walk in your own way....it will follow u.."

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Politicians and journalists must appear for a qualification test consisting of common sense assessment, aptitude test, attitude test, value system assessment, physical fitness test, written test, Viva voice, elocution, debating skills, inclusiveness assessment, ethics assessment.... We can also add the now discontinued Google's assessment methodology and still active team bhp entrance test in English and all Indian languages.
      Last edited by Nomad; 25th Aug 2013 at 09:39.

Thread Information