• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-Star Automatic

the flying fish

Awesome

A-Star Automatic

Hi,
      Anybody with experience on an A-Star Automatic??

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

An automatic needs more maintainance like fluid and filter change and they dont last as long as a manual box. With such high temperatures as in India you have to make sure you have an aircooled cooler in addition to the original cooler which keeps the gearbox as hot as the engine. Heat will kill an automatic transmission.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      An automatic needs more maintainance like fluid and filter change and they dont last as long as a manual box. With such high temperatures as in India you have to make sure you have an aircooled cooler in addition to the original cooler which keeps the gearbox as hot as the engine. Heat will kill an automatic transmission.
      hmmm dint know Auto boxes had such issues . can you give examples for "automatic needs more maintainance" & "hey dont last as long as a manual box."

and also what is this " aircooled cooler in addition to the original cooler "

sorry for the questions , i have an AT box on my cruze , hence wanted to know more about the issues with AT boxes .

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

The auto transmission does have friction plates that wear. The ATF fluid and filter needs to be changed at given kilometres. Many makers say these boxes are filled for life but thats not the case. I killed my auto transmission twice in cold Norway. First time at 180,000 and the other time at 290,000.
      The heat exchangers used for cooing the transmissions will cool it to the temperature of your radiator plus a bit of hear from the engine. Try to touch an auto transmission after a long drive. Then touch a manual and see.
      Google auto transmission, overheating

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

I always thought auto boxes less maintenance, except for the reduced fuel efficiency they bring..

Other than that the old type boxes with torque converter seems to be the most inefficient thing, mechanical losses converted to heat, maybe requiring more maintenance..

But then modern day autoboxes ??? I am confused...

where to modern DCT's and CVT's stand in terms of maintenance ??

Sorry if thread jacking..
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

the flying fish

Awesome

Norway has an extreme cold winter with wind chill below -15 to -20 . The fluids will behave differently.
      Anyway, brought an auto A-Star for dad 2 years back. No mechanical probs so far of any kind.
      His only prob was low FE. Was getting 9.5-10 in Mumbai with AC. Being retired, he was feeling bothered by it. So I got a cng kit fitted with 14 kg tank, which is good for a week for him. Now he fills gas of about rs300 and is good for 125-130 km.
      This car was replacement for indica. He is 70+ and loves this car's user friendliness.
      Spent 5 years trying to teach wife to drive. She started driving once we got the AStar.

- - - Updated - - -

With cng on an auto, you barely feel the diff. Merely press the pedal 2 mm more and the torque converter takes care of the rest.

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh Sachdev View Post
      where to modern DCT's and CVT's stand in terms of maintenance ??
      I had a DAF with the first generation CVT transmission. It did have a centrifugal clutch with a drum. The DCT is a semi automatic gearbox with single or dual clutch plates.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
      Norway has an extreme cold winter with wind chill below -15 to -20 . The fluids will behave differently.
      Temperatures in the winter where I live can drop to about -30 to -35. Even in the winter, my motor oil temperatures went up to 125 degrees celsius on long trips. I connected an oil cooler in series and it went down to 110. I then added another oil cooler in series to the transmission and the motor oil temperature dropped to 98 degrees. The problem was worse in the summer months.
      Once while driving back from Romania, I threw away the skid plate from the car due to an overheating auto transmission.
      An automatic transmission is fine if you drive a taxi or do city driving but I prefer a manual whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

With cng on an auto, you barely feel the diff. Merely press the pedal 2 mm more and the torque converter takes care of the rest.
      My car ran on LPG....

Awesome

I am using A star AT since last two years.
      fuel efficiency is 9-11 km/lit in city

the flying fish

Awesome

I think the AStar auto is an excellent 2nd car for city/errand driving. Just think of it as a compact comfortable 2 seater (which it is used as 95% of the time by us). With CNG the cost goes down to 3 rs/km. Won't feel the difference if you drive below 90-100. Been till 120 on highways but am not happy with it above 90.

- - - Updated - - -

The i10 auto is also good but I hear it gives about 7-8 in city. Too low for me.
      It was 2 L expensive then AStar. Too high for me.

Awesome

I think the AStar auto is an excellent 2nd car for city/errand driving. Just think of it as a compact comfortable 2 seater (which it is used as 95% of the time by us). With CNG the cost goes down to 3 rs/km. Won't feel the difference if you drive below 90-100. Been till 120 on highways but am not happy with it above 90.
      If you have installed a sequential cng kit, the car should feel better on speeds above 100 on cng. Please get it retuned. If your mechanic is unable to correct the flaw, show it to a better professional.
      At Mumbai cng price of rs 39 p kg, your A Star would run at not more than Rs 2.25 p km on highways

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information