• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Indian Car Sales Report - August 2013

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Indian Car Sales Report - August 2013

August was an uneventful month for Indian Car sales market. It stopped the decline that automotive market has been seeing for months, but it wasn't much of a respite for any manufacturer. Honda, which is still riding on success of Amaze, found other vehicles from its stable showing a steady decline. This typically meant that Amaze is eating into other models' share of Honda rather than that of competitors.

Nissan had a good month thanks to strong numbers from Micra and Sunny. Hyundai too, posted a positive growth of 9%, thanks to its i10 Grand. Renault's Duster seemed steady at 3k mark, whereas EcoSport broke 5000 unit sales barrier in its third month. Concern for Ford will be its Figo, which is reeling at 2200 units and ever so disappointing New Fiesta which sold only 19 units for the last month.

Would you believe that Chevrolet Enjoy, Maruti Omni and Maruti Eeco, cars we hardly talk about, are producing strong sales numbers. Omni continues to touch 4500+ mark in terms of cars sold - and there doesn't seem to be any competition for the manufacturer there.

In the report below, I have clubbed the sales figures of i10 and i10 Grand. For purists, the i10 Grand stood at 1800 units, if you were interested in knowing the number.

Lets get back to our analysis and numbers for this month:

Name:  Market share table (Custom).jpg
Views: 345
Size:  131.2 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Market Trend.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	154438

Name:  Change in Market.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:	Market share chart.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	154440

Lets look at top 25 car sales numbers below. I have added a color code to indicate if the car sales showed a negative trend compared the previous month.

Name:	Top 25 Chart.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	154441

Name:	Top 25 table.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	154442

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Model wise share in Portfolio - August 2013

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  47.6 KB

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Segment wise Indian Car Sales Distribution Report - August 2013

Name:  Car Segment table.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  165.6 KB

Name:  Segment table.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  Segment Distro.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  Segment Sales Graph.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:	Segment Sales table.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	154474

Name:  hatch.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  Muv.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  Sedan.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  SUV.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  Trend Graph.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  208.6 KB

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Price Wise Indian Car Sales Report - July 2013

Name:  Sales trend graph.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  Car distribution pie.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:	Overall table.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	154483

Name:  5 to 8L.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  5L.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  8 to 12L.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  12 to 18L.jpg
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  18L+.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  Sales distro pie.jpg
Size:  34.9 KB

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Trend - Indian Car Sales Report - August 2013

Name:  1.jpg
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Size:  139.3 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  226.6 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Size:  95.7 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  133.5 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  101.7 KB

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      August was an uneventful month for Indian Car sales market. It stopped the decline that automotive market has been seeing for months,
      arresting the decline is a mega event on it's own.

Honda, which is still riding on success of Amaze, found other vehicles from its stable showing a steady decline. This typically meant that Amaze is eating into other models' share of Honda rather than that of competitors.
      Proves one more marketing hypothesis lower priced products of the same brand eat into higher priced products.

Would you believe that Chevrolet Enjoy, Maruti Omni and Maruti Eeco, cars we hardly talk about, are producing strong sales numbers. Omni continues to touch 4500+ mark in terms of cars sold - and there doesn't seem to be any competition for the manufacturer there.
      it is called un-contested market place. Lesser the competition, better the margins. companies can make money here so that they can provide discounts in the hyper competitive segment.
      rksingh1, I can imagine you are pretty busy with your rozi-roti work. is it possible for you to spice up the analysis with

* segment analysis and trends.
      * Future outlook
      * technology view
      * exports view
      * Country of origin trends : Japanese, Korean, German, Italian, American, India, Chinese..
      * correlating GDP, Savings, Fuel Prices, Car Sales and using it for predictions
      * co-relating advertisement spends, trade discounts, bundling, face-lifts etc. to car sales

status quo

Awesome

The steady increase in FIAT numbers shows that their strategy (late realization) of having their own service network is giving them results. Also bringing back TJet with lower price is helping. More models next year should show some better market share for FIAT. Hope they stop doing different incarnations of Punto (like 90Hp, Sport).
      Linea classic with <7L pricing should bring them more customers, hope they solve the initial lag in FIRE engines. MJD's atleast there is a hope of tuning.

1.6 MJD and New Linea with automatic will be a welcome addition. Not sure how much Jeep will help in INDIA, future charts will show their performance.
      Think Blaze - Drive Safe

2013 Yamaha Ray
      2009 FIAT LINEA EMOTION+
      2009 ALTO
      2006 TVS Centra
      2005 BALENO LXI (59k)
      2003 Bajaj Pulsar 150
      1986 M800

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

As usual rksingh, you have done a great job. We ordinary mortals are finding it tough to put in our views while you are soldiering on with fantastic & detailed graphs month on month. May be we owe you, your weight in gold and considering the speed with which its rate is skyrocketing, I have no other alternative other than saying thx.

Coming to the August sales, the only good fortune teller this side of the planet seems to be in the Maruti camp. Come rain or shine MSIL is marching on in its well trenched path as the humble Omni/800 combo is bringing in amasing 6000+ which is more than what few manufacturers manage to sell with their entire lineup. Other than this, the trio of Wagon-R/Swift/Dzire are clocking close to 40,000 units which is more than half of MSIL's total sales and in the process beating every pundit's doomsday predictions. Boxy design, cheap interior quality, opportunistic pricing strategies, hoodwinking limited editions....., we can go on & on about MSIL and its strategies, but there is something that brings MSIL dear to the Aam admi of this nation. May be the all powerful Hanumanji is helping the company named after him, that is why I feel a master astrologer/fortune teller is able to bring all the luck Maruti needs badly. All in all an impressive month amidst the rising fuel costs/interest rates/economic slowdown et all, Way to go Maruti. The average indian car buyer is still solidly behind you.

Hyundai with its Grand I10 is trying to make grand reentry in the hatchback diesel segment. I think they have taken a great gamble with a 3 cylinder diesel mill for the mass market hatchback and I think, it is going to be their Achilles's heel. The I20 diesel which is a fantastic product is loosing its sheen due to some fantastic products storming the price segment like Amaze & Ecosport. Hyundai has set a benchmark for personal luxury in each segment and this is the one factor which is bringing in some repeated customers to its fold. But high service costs combined with initial vehicle costs could force customers to look for alternatives beyond the personal luxury firewall. So hyundai, as usual try to improve your service portfolio and some aggressive pricing could take you places.

Mahindra has done well to arrest its slide, but it needs some refreshed/new models to pep up its sales. The bad publicity generated by the XUV/Xylo niggles is still floating around in the market and the stagnant Bolero sales is not increasing the cheers either. The only silver lining is that the XUV 500 has successfully sold more than 2000+ units for the past 2 months, but considering the initial response, this needs to go up much higher.

Toyota is having a decent month with the innova crossing the 5000 barrier after 4 months and the refreshed Liva brings in some decent numbers. Other than this, Toyota needs to understand that the Indian customer is much more mature than paying through his nose for a T brand. For the sake of ordinary indians, hope the Big T finds this out soon.

Atlast Tata has the divine help in arresting its downward spiral and coming back to the 5th spot. May be the ever dependable SUMO has done the trick this month, but it needs more than luck to move up the charts. It is really heartening to note that the service levels have gone up and customer satisfaction stories are coming out of the TATA workshops after a long time. I still believe TATA could make a turn around much faster than the pundits would allow it.

Honda as usual slips below the 10,000 mark once again and the lopsided sales hinges much on the Amaze with the Brio & City taking a backseat. But with many new products to hit the shore in the next 2 years, Honda needs to improve its manufacturing & service network. For my sake I hope they are better prepared than they look(I have decided my next car will be a Honda!!)

Ford had comeback with a bang with Ecosport which has shipped more than 5000 units in August. But the recent price hikes and cancellation charges seems to be returning to its belligerent best of digging its own grave. I love the solidly built Fords for their flair & stability, but such bossy attitude may not bring them more friends.

Fiat has successfully crossed the four figure mark after more than a year. Hope it has fully learnt its lessons and comes back with a bang rather than the eyewash sports editions.

The slide of duster should have warned Ford about competition & pricing, but it seems to have not taken notice. The car companies are keeping the older & newer versions side by side teasing the customers from price point of view. The car buying Aam indian in the next decade is going to be a well researched young generation which will take note of the security features or the lack of it and the car companies can ignore that at their own peril. Until then let them have their honey moon in cheating the hapless

Regards
      Subbaraman

Thread Information