• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive black smoke from Exhaust

OCD

Awesome

Excessive black smoke from Exhaust

I have noticed that if I rev hard in 2nd and 3rd gear, I can see a lot of smoke in my rear view mirror. The car is running fine otherwise, mileage is as good as ever. Should I replace the air filter?
      It's a Fiat Punto Diesel.

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Does the smoke appear when you suddenly increase the revs and thin down later or does it remain black for a longer time?

It's normal for a diesel car to emit black smoke when the revs go up suddenly. e.g. if you rev up the engine suddenly from 2k to 4k rpm, there will be black smoke for a few seconds. Then it will almost disappear unless you drop the revs & rev the engine again.

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Supernaut Did you fill up Shell 'super' Diesel by any chance?

OCD

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      Supernaut Did you fill up Shell 'super' Diesel by any chance?
      nope. Just good old common rail kerosene injection

Adventurer

Awesome

When you get the turbo kick from the VGT, there would be a cloud of black smoke emitted. (Your description fits this scenario) Perfectly normal. Black smoke with other symptoms mean a problem.

Bend down and check the exhaust when car is idling. You shouldn't see any smoke.

In a loop

Secret

From what I have read, one of the possibilities could be excess oil on MJD which may make its ways to the intercooler. I have faced this issue and intercooler cleaning during service has helped reduce the smoke

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Check and replace air filter and clean MAF
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

OCD

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      MAF
      what is that?

Adventurer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
      what is that?
      Mass AirFlow Sensor.

My take, if your FE is fine, pick-up is fine, don't care two hoots about the smoke. I drive the same car BTW.

"The cars we drive say a
      lot about us"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
      I have noticed that if I rev hard in 2nd and 3rd gear, I can see a lot of smoke in my rear view mirror. The car is running fine otherwise, mileage is as good as ever. Should I replace the air filter?
      It's a Fiat Punto Diesel.
      Hi Supernaut, a little information about the problem you are facing

Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story
      Basically, smoke from a diesel engine indicates that something is not right. It should be taken as an indication that there is a problem existing (or developing), that will potentially shorten the engine life, or result in unnecessary costs. It should be regarded as an opportunity to take measures that will save you money in both the long term and also the short term. At the least, that smoke may be due to a simple problem, that is causing poor combustion efficiency, and costing you in excessive fuel bills (eg carboned up engine from excessive idling, stop start operation or short run times). At the other end of the scale, it may be your last chance to act, before a catastrophic engine failure occurs (eg piston seizure, valve or turbocharger failure).
      A diesel engine in good condition should produce no visible smoke from the exhaust, under most operating conditions. A short puff of smoke when an engine is accelerated under load may be acceptable, due to the lag before the turbocharger speed and air flow is able to match the volume of diesel injected into the cylinders. That would only apply to older technology diesel engines, but with modern type diesels, no smoke at all should be evident.
      There are three basic types of smoke, as identifiable by their colour.
      Black smoke is the most common smoke emitted from diesel engines. It indicates poor and incomplete combustion of the diesel fuel. There are many causes, including
      • Incorrect timing
      • Dirty or worn injectors
      • Over-fuelling
      • Faulty turbocharger (ie not enough air to match the fuel)
      • Incorrect valve clearance
      • Incorrect air/fuel ratio
      • Low cylinder compression (eg sticking piston rings or worn components)
      • Dirty air cleaner
      • Restricted induction system (eg system too small or kinked inlet piping)
      • Other engine tune factors
      • Poor quality fuel
      • Excessive carbon build up in combustion and exhaust spaces
      • Cool operating temperatures
      Obviously, worn or damaged components must be replaced, and the earlier you identify and fix the problem, the less damage will be done. Keep on top of engine tune issues, including valve adjustments, and regular servicing of air, fuel and oil filters. Do not buy fuel from suspect outlets. Dirty components, such as injectors can be easily restored to full cleanliness by using an effective and reliable fuel system cleaner.
      Black smoke is high in carbon or soot, which is an undesirable product of diesel combustion. Now, the combustion of diesel is a complicated process of breaking down the various hydrocarbon fuel molecules into progressively smaller and smaller molecules, by burning in the presence of oxygen. The main and ideal end products of combustion are CO2and H2O (carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas and water). It is believed that the last step in the process is carbon monoxide (the poisonous gas) to carbon dioxide. This is also the slowest step by far, and when combustion conditions deteriorate some upstream bottle necking occurs in the chain of combustion reactions. This results (according to some authorities) in polymerization of smaller partly burnt molecules into much larger ones, which become visible as soot, or black smoke.
      Blue smoke is an indication of oil being burnt. The oil can enter the combustion chamber for several reasons.
      • Worn valve guides or seals
      • Wear in power assemblies (ie cylinders, piston rings, ring grooves)
      • Cylinder glaze
      • Piston ring sticking
      • Incorrect grade of oil (eg oil too thin, and migrating past the rings)
      • Fuel dilution in the oil (oil thinned out with diesel)
      At cold start, blue smoke is often evident, and can reflect reduced oil control, due to fouling deposits around piston rings or cylinder glaze (which is actually carbon deposited in the machined cylinder crosshatching. These tiny grooves actually hold a film of oil, which in turn completes the seal between the combustion chamber and the oil wetted crankcase). Blue smoke should not be evident at any time, but it is worth noting, that engines with good sound compression can actually burn quite a lot of oil without evidence of blue smoke. Good compression allows oil to burn cleanly, as part of the fuel. It is not good though!
      Once again, restore physical cleanliness to all components. Replace worn parts where necessary.
      White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include
      • Faulty or damaged injectors
      • Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
      • Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)
      When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.
      Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information