• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Green "Grandeur"- My Chevrolet Beat TCDI

"The cars we drive say a
      lot about us"

Awesome

Cool The Green "Grandeur"- My Chevrolet Beat TCDI

My Green “Grandeur” (u must have guessed by now what I mean to convey) is 18 months old exactly as on today. And there is nothing like delay in writing a review on this cute little car which definitely commands second looks, even third even multiple looks. So here it goes
      What pushed me:

A little background first, I owned pre-owned Hyundai Getz(GVS) 2004 model as my first car which I bought in January 2011. A nice car with loads of space, good 1.3 ltr motor and butter smooth gear shifts. But the heartbreaker was that it was a petrol car and was gulping petrol like anything. I purchased Getz from Mahindra First Choice with a tempered odometer And situations took a roller coaster (which shall be revealed on request guys) ride during the owner ship and finally I sold it off during September 2011.

It dates back to December 2011 when I finally started running around to own my first new car and it has to be the beautiful and soothing word “Diesel”. The budget I had kept in my mind was not over 6 Lakhs. I ran from dealer to dealer, taking test drives of probable finalists, which were

1. Maruti Ritz- Pros- (a) Very practical hatch (b) Good road presence (c) Nice interiors (d) Power full 1.3 ltr DDIS Motor (e) Well performer

Cons- (a) IMO I m really not attracted to Maruti Cars (b) Huge waiting list of 4 to 5 months for Diesel variant (c) The day I went to SEVA, the Maruti Dealer in Nasik, the sales person graciously greeted me and when I specifically asked him to give me TD for Ritz VDI, he quickly went inside to find out whether there is any Ritz available for TD, he came out and uttered “Sir, we don’t have Ritz Diesel for TD as of now, can u TD the Ritz petrol variant”. I was shocked to hear that, when I have come to buy a diesel variant, how can you offer me a petrol variant for TD. Its like I wanted to have a Chapati in my meal and you are offering me Dosa instead. That was a deal broker for Ritz and the story was ended there.

1. Ford Figo- A good car from Ford. But was a bit pricey and overshooting the benchmark of 6L.
      2. Volkswagen Polo- My my a fantastic car from the German Car maker but was pricey again. Loads of space inside.
      3. Chevrolet Beat-Tired after a week’s effort of hunting for my dream first car, I finally discussed this issue with my wife and Brother In Law. My wife said why don’t we try the Chevy Beat, I said “that’s a good option”. My BIL is a mechanical engineer who calls himself as “Mechanimal” and a car frenzy guy. He spelt out ins and outs of this cute little performer and my mind started Beating for it.

So,
      Place: Nasik
      Chevy Dealer: Jitendra Wheels Pvt Ltd. Nasik
      Date: 6th January 2012
      I needed a diesel pot as I was posted to Pune and a weekend meet to my family was on the anvil with a 1500 kms run per month. My BIL and me went to the Chevrolet Showroom and looked at BEAT which was at the display. Do I look good, u certainly command loads of attention my dear. We sat in and took a look at the car and here comes the Sales Executive Mr. Bujhad. “How may I help you ,Sir” he said. “We are interested in this cute little green beauty” I said. “Certainly, Sir lets sit and talk about numbers.”. But first I would love to TD, off we went and we gel with each other in the first meeting itself.

What I like after TD
      1. When I took the test drive, I felt the engine was great and would suffice my needs.
      2. The interiors are really funky especially the odometer cluster with a little LCD display showing everything whats the car is feeling.
      3. Since I was used to a petrol engine, the Diesel engine seems saying me u have to get used to me now Mr. Dhiren. The diesel clatter and the music is my favorite.
      4. I loved the car in and out and that was a deal maker.

Goods:
      1. The quality of plastics is good, not like TATAs IMO (no offences to anyone. )
      2. No rattling at all
      3. The interior black theme is appealing, just what I needed. The dashboard design is better to its competitors. The instrument cluster with a cyan colour is quite appealing at night and soothing to eyes.
      4. The gear shifts were nice to handle.
      5. Engine sounds great till 2500 RPM, but when taken up to 3000 RPM, it growls like a bull.
      6. The noise inside the cabin is silent which evidences that the NVH levels have been superbly controlled.
      7. The low sitting position is very ideal for a 5.6” height person like me which gives a good look of the road ahead but after getting used to it.

The Odds
      1. Motor lacks the punch and not a highway performer.
      2. Engine loses its breath while overtaking and maneuvering, though intelligent drive assist on heights is a nice option and works well. Can hear gruff engine sound at higher rpms.
      3. The OEM horn is just weak.
      4. OEM speakers are not the ones to be boasted about. Just write off
      5. The regular services interval are 5000 kms, so frequent visits to service stations.
      6. The small rear window doesn’t retract downwards fully and creates a claustrophobic ambience at the rear.

It was finished in flat half an hour after some negotiations on the price. It was the time when petrol prices were soaring like anything and diesel cars were in demand than ever before. So no discounts, but I managed to get good handful of discounts on pricing, Rs. 6000 and Rs. 5000 discount as corporate discount and on Insurance resp. Rs. 1500 off on sunfilm installation. And And And, managed to get an octroi exemption of Rs. 17000 odd (Jugad u know). I got the quote and happy to see the numbers. I was feeling like as if BEAT was saying me please take me with you. Then off to bank for finance and within a week’s time the formalities were completed and the car was ready to be delivered on a scheduled date.
      I fixed 15 January 2012 which was Makar Sankranti as the delivery date for the delivery, unfortunately it was Sunday and the Dealership guys took hardship for me to deliver the car on a non working day. They must be cursing me for my choice of date and day. They were ready with the car and had decorated the car in a very neatly manner.

Goodies I got with the car

1. The Chevy Teddy, my driving companion when my wife isn’t travelling with me.
      2. A document holder to keep all my documents at one place
      3. A box of sweets.
      4. A key chain holder (a faux leather) wrapper ike which I managed to get after lots of persuasion from the Sales Manager as he was constantly quaking “Sir, its not in stock and we shall give you as soon as it comes”. But I still bounced on his head and to on the next very day.

Here comes the pics.. hope u like them

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2979.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	485.3 KB 
ID:	155614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2982.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	519.9 KB 
ID:	155616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2983.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	479.4 KB 
ID:	155617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2981.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	477.0 KB 
ID:	155615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2984.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	495.9 KB 
ID:	155618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2985.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	444.9 KB 
ID:	155619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2987.JPG 
Size:	508.3 KB 
ID:	155620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2989.JPG 
Size:	490.8 KB 
ID:	155621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2992.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	462.6 KB 
ID:	155622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2993.JPG 
Size:	422.7 KB 
ID:	155623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2994.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	431.7 KB 
ID:	155624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2995.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	396.7 KB 
ID:	155625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2996.JPG 
Size:	523.5 KB 
ID:	155626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3002.JPG 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	155627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3007.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	467.2 KB 
ID:	155628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3025.JPG 
Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	155632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3009.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	497.2 KB 
ID:	155630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3022.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	510.2 KB 
ID:	155631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3008.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	155629

Name:	DSCN3051.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	155634

Name:	DSCN3044.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	336.2 KB 
ID:	155633
      Last edited by crazybeat; 16th Sep 2013 at 21:01.

"The cars we drive say a
      lot about us"

Awesome

This is just a preliminary report, more stuff to come fellas.

the flying fish

Awesome

Congrats on the beat diesel mate.
      Nicely written, but do continue the thread with after purchase experience of the car .
      Been in it just a couple of times but was quite surprised with the amount of space inside considering the outer dimensions.

hanging tight :/

Hungry

Congrats crazybeat for the Beat, it is one of the best looking car in India
      Ghost Rider is Riding with the Potholes in Bangalore ..... :-[

"The cars we drive say a
      lot about us"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
      Congrats on the beat diesel mate.
      Thanks mate. Its been a wonderful ownership so far and expect many more happy crunching miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by S.Gautam07 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
      Been in it just a couple of times but was quite surprised with the amount of space inside considering the outer dimensions.
      This looks little tiny cute car from the exterior but the interiors tells us a different story altogether. The lumber support for the rear passengers could have been more but that would have compromised on the leg space at the rear, but the front two passengers have an entire space to free their legs even for a 6ft person.

"The cars we drive say a
      lot about us"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by S.Gautam07 View Post
      Indeed S. Gautam, its been adjudged as the best looking car in India by many auto reviews. The overall styling and curves stands this beauty apart.

Getting back to being myself
      .. slowly

Awesome

Congrats crazybeat, a very good VFM car. What variant did you buy ?

Also, post the current pics of the car.
      2008 Hyundai i10 1.2 Sportz - 45,000 kms
      2012 Bajaj Avenger 220 - 4,900 kms
      2013 Tata Indica Vista - 3,300 kms

2004 Maruti 800 BS II - 59,000 kms - SOLD
      2007 Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3 - 22,800 kms - SOLD

"The cars we drive say a
      lot about us"

Awesome

Name:	DSC_7200.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	155968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3701.jpg 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	155969
      Quote Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
      Congrats crazybeat, a very good VFM car. What variant did you buy ?

Also, post the current pics of the car.
      Thanks para_7k, I bought the top variant i.e. BEAT LT. Sure Current Pics are below as per your requirement.

"The cars we drive say a
      lot about us"

Awesome

Green "Grandeur" ownership report.

Hi all, time to throng the GH territory again, I shall now be detailing about the ownership about my Green “Grandeur”. Owning it was a great feat for me, had to be because it was choice by my wife. And how do I dare to overlook her choice, as well said by somebody that “never criticize your wife’s choices, you are one of them”

So, the first thing which I did was reading the manual, slowly may be. It has educated me about using the diesel engine during my Drive in period. It says (and I religiously follow what has been given in the manual, god promise)

1. The turbo charger element rotates very fast. If the oil supply to running parts stops, the turbocharger system may be seriously damaged.
      2. After starting the engine, let it run for about 1 to 2 minutes with idle speed (avoid acceleration or driving off the vehicle)
      3. Do not stop immediately after coming back from the high load driving (such as high speed driving or driving down long slope). Let the engine run for about 1 to 2 minutes at idle speed to cool it down.
      4. After changing the engine oil and oil filter, start the engine and let it run for about 1 to 2 min with idle speed.
      5. Operate the engine above idle only after normal engine oil pressure has been established. Forcing the turbocharger to operate before the bearings are adequately lubricated creates unnecessary frictioin.
      6. Use only the specified engine oil and observe inspection and replacement intervals.
      For a new vehicle use the following precautions for the first few hundred kilometers to improve the performance and economy of the vehicle and add to its long life;
      1. Avoid full throttle-starts
      2. Do not race the engine
      3. Avoid hard stops except in emergencies. This will allow your brakes to bed in properly.
      4. Avoid quick starts, sudden accelerations, and prolonged high speed driving in order to avoid damage to the engine and to conserve the fuel.
      5. Avoid full throttle acceleration in low gear
      6. Do not tow any other vehicle.

What is a turbo-Charger engine-
      A turbocharged engine can be more powerful and efficient than a naturally aspirated engine because the turbine forces more air, and proportionately more fuel, into the combustion chamber than atmospheric pressure alone.

It looks something like this

Name:	chevy_beattcdi_01.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	156992

The size of the turbocharger depends on the engine size and performance.
      Name:  Turbocharger.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  turbo_porsche_cutaway.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  66.0 KB

A video how a turbocharger works- Courtesy Yoooootube.

I was quite sure to follow every word in the manual after all one has to stick to doctor’s advice after all.

So, My Green beauty completed 1000 kms and was due for follow up. The appointment was taken and it was admitted for service. It was given for a routine check-up. The conclusion
      1 . Vehicle was ok in all respect
      2. 1st Free Check up- Cost- Rs. 0. As it was just a check up
      My first few findings during the initial 1000 kms-
      - The Car was behaving as just I wanted. No rattles absolutely. The Turbo kicks in the range of 1700 RPM to 2000 RPM. For a petrol driver, it like an untamed horse and it takes a while to learn to tame it. And I was doing the same thing-taming it.
      - This is a perfect city hatch which behaves in a very sober manner at turns and twists of the traffic and idle car for bumper to bumper traffic.
      - The interior has a good plastic quality and the center console is quite appealing.
      - The seats are quite ergonomically placed and give a decent view of the road.
      - The sizes of the ORVMs are perfect to give a wide view of the traffic on both the sides.
      - The stock music system is a complete rip off. Need to change for audiophiles like me.
      - The tyres 165/65 R14 has maintains a low profile and gives me a feeling of underinflated sometimes. (any suggestions for the upgrades guys without hampering my FE)
      Coming up more- The ICE upgrade.

Nevertheless, some treat for your eyes- (the interiors captured by me for you)

The golden Chevrolet badge adds to the premium look of the car

Name:	DSCN3266.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	325.3 KB 
ID:	156977

Name:	DSCN3267.JPG 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	156978

Name:	DSCN3268.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	156979

Name:	DSCN3269.JPG 
Size:	282.8 KB 
ID:	156980

Name:	DSCN3270.JPG 
Size:	280.3 KB 
ID:	156981

Name:	DSCN3272.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	156982

Name:	DSCN3273.JPG 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	156983

Name:	DSCN3274.JPG 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	156984

Name:	DSCN3275.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	156985

Name:	DSCN3282.JPG 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	156986

Name:	DSCN3283.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	156987

Name:	DSCN3284.JPG 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	156988
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chevy_beattcdi_01.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	156975  

Last edited by crazybeat; 26th Sep 2013 at 20:30.

Global Poster
      _/\_ in bhai universe trusts

Awesome

Congrats @crazybeta on owning beat. its a good vehicle and ease to drive in cities.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybeat View Post
      Goodies I got with the car
      The Chevy Teddy, my driving companion when my wife isn’t travelling with me.
      A document holder to keep all my documents at one place
      A box of sweets.
      Looks good hospitality by your dealer
      how do I dare to overlook her choice, as well said by somebody that “never criticize your wife’s choices, you are one of them”
      That was a good one. Liked this line.
      So, the first thing which I did was reading the manual, slowly may be. It has educated me about using the diesel engine during my Drive in period. It says (and I religiously follow what has been given in the manual, god promise)
      Good thing to do. Its a small thing many people skip. i also did skip. Later read some time later
      1. The quality of plastics is good, not like TATAs IMO (no offences to anyone. )
      No offence taken. But the plastics are bad not only in TATA but also other manufacturers cars. for eg Duster , Etios etc... to name a few..
      In BHAI the universe trusts _/\_

Wear HelMet to avoid Hell Meet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information