• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Do Not turn on the A/C immediately after entering the Car - Does it matter?

hanging tight :/

Hungry

Question Do Not turn on the A/C immediately after entering the Car - Does it matter?

I found the picture below on facebook:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1238962_521686977917314_1069157904_n.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	155724

I did some research on it and found and article so sharing it here, interesting to read:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/benzene.asp
      Last edited by Ghost Rider; 18th Sep 2013 at 00:13.
      Ghost Rider is Riding with the Potholes in Bangalore ..... :-[

AutoBots India

Awesome

i think this is a well-known fact, of course not too deep as said in the picture. no matter how hot it is outside, i always turn ON the A/C after a couple of minutes of entering the car. though i have observed that most of the people tend to ignore this.
      2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Avantgarde (w204)
      2017 Honda City iVtec
      2011 i20
      Winner- 301w-600w category Bass Battle (2016, Buddh International Circuit)
      Winner- 501-1000w category Bass Battle (2017, Shakedown DTU)
      Rainbow // Celestra // Rockford Fosgate // Sundown Audio // Digital Designs // Monster XLN // SHOK // Knukonceptz // Dynamat // Dampmat

TEAMRMS.IN
      FACEBOOK.COM/AUTOBOTSINDIA

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

meh... Some car drivers would say the other way, like turn on your a/c as soon as you turn on your car for atleast 10mins for the health of the compressor or the gas will be stuck in the pipes..

hahahaha.. funniest car Joke I've ever heard..

Benzene : Benzene is a component of your regular blend of PETROL, yes your petrol contains benzene *upto 5% increases octane rating reduces pinging..

Byproduct of burning tobacco *cigarette smoke

Some Soft drinks contain it..

but then, Benzene has been greatly replaced with other chemicals, We used to use Benzene in watch industry to wash mechanical movements to strip them off their previous lubrication (heavy grease) and it used to come of with relative ease.. Now you don't get benzene for public use, you get only for laboratory use and there are many cheaper alternatives to it..

on topic : It doesn't matter that you turn on your a/c moment you enter the car or whatever, you daily inhale much worse things than benzene in much higher volumes just by walking down the street..
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

hanging tight :/

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by karan22 View Post
      i think this is a well-known fact, of course not too deep as said in the picture. no matter how hot it is outside, i always turn ON the A/C after a couple of minutes of entering the car. though i have observed that most of the people tend to ignore this.
      I also open the windows for 2-3 mins before driving if the car have been parked for a long time in my apartment parking. The reason behind this is I like the smell of fresh air instead if the smell which comes from inside the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh Sachdev View Post
      meh... Some car drivers would say the other way, like turn on your a/c as soon as you turn on your car for atleast 10mins for the health of the compressor or the gas will be stuck in the pipes..

hahahaha.. funniest car Joke I've ever heard..

Benzene : Benzene is a component of your regular blend of PETROL, yes your petrol contains benzene *upto 5% increases octane rating reduces pinging..

Byproduct of burning tobacco *cigarette smoke

Some Soft drinks contain it..

but then, Benzene has been greatly replaced with other chemicals, We used to use Benzene in watch industry to wash mechanical movements to strip them off their previous lubrication (heavy grease) and it used to come of with relative ease.. Now you don't get benzene for public use, you get only for laboratory use and there are many cheaper alternatives to it..

on topic : It doesn't matter that you turn on your a/c moment you enter the car or whatever, you daily inhale much worse things than benzene in much higher volumes just by walking down the street..
      Thanks sir for the inputs, If my car is parked outside somewhere for more than hour, I always put the fan at full speed for a min or so.
      Completely agree the air pollution inhale for the walking person on the road is much higher as compared to a person sitting in a car with AC on. My reasoning behind this is atleast the car guy wont be inhaling so much of dust flying the air.
      Ghost Rider is Riding with the Potholes in Bangalore ..... :-[

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Blog Entries
      I don't believe in the turn-ac-on-asap BS but do remember to lower your windows as soon as you get in if your car was parked under the sun for a long time.

Live life full throttle

Awesome

I never turn on the ac as soon as I get in the car but for a different. I somehow feel it is better for me to let the car warm up till its optimum running temperature before switching on the ac. So I drive for sometime with the windows rolled down before switching it on.
      Last edited by esteemhead; 18th Sep 2013 at 11:45.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      your car was parked under the sun for a long time.
      What could be the problem if we don't do so ? I generally switch on the A/C the moment I start the vehicle

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Lvramanan Hot plastic emit toxic fumes which may contain hazardous chemicals. Of course, the ambient air we inhale is not any better either but why inhale something concentrated? Most of us keep the recirculation mode on all the time, which would simply cause the fumes lurk around multiplying the risks many times. As soon as you get in your car, lower down your windows and switch on the A/C after you begin driving.

You Think!

Awesome

Smile

There is absolutely no problem with what you are doing.

Windows are rolled down to allow the captive hot air to escape thereby reducing the load on the air con compressor and this also allows for the cabin to cool down faster.

Some people switch on the ac after the engine has warmed up as that makes it easier for the engine to take up the additional strain.

As for plastics emitting Benzene, well while I am not a Chemist who would know that but what I do know is the the dashboard, steering and the seats are basically polyurethane foam finished to different levels of hardness. The same foam that is found in our office chairs, sofas and mattresses at home besides innumerable stuff that we use in our daily lives. Assuming that Benzene is indeed emitted from PU foam then by now incidences of related problems would have spread like wild fire on a global scale.

Anyhow more Benzene is emitted by our public transport buses and cars, taxis, three wheelers etc running on CNG, now this is a proven fact and on an unrelated note this was listed as a reason by the appropriate authorities in the UK for not switching the public bus fleet in London to run on CNG. If anything this in itself is a reason that we should not drive with our car windows rolled down and switch on the ac asap we get in to our vehicles :d

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      What could be the problem if we don't do so ? I generally switch on the A/C the moment I start the vehicle :(
      Last edited by khoj; 18th Sep 2013 at 13:09.
      Beer is proof that God likes us & wants us to be happy

Toll Free Suresh

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by S.Gautam07 View Post
      Do Not turn on the A/C immediately after entering the Car
      If a car is fitted with door visors, it is advisable to open one of the windows slightly thereby leaving a small gap. This holds good if the car is parked in hot sun.

Thread Information