• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Electric Cars News Thread

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      You can choose. Supercharger, CCS/SAE, CHAdeMO, J-1772, Tesla, Tesla Roadster, Type 2 or Type 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      And we haven't been able to finalize even one standard
      Why India Is Struggling To Find The Right EV Charging Standard
      https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/16...nfrastructure/

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      1000 Km Range, 30% Cheaper: Firm Overhauls Charging Tech for E-Cars

Recyclable aluminium cells?
      Environment friendly?
      Long range?

Sounds interesting but not gonna take off because the existing automobile giants have huge investments piled up in the conventional electric tech which they want to recover before shifting onto anything 'new'. Same like how they didn't allow the electric tech to grow when it was already available a century ago because they had huge investments in the fossil fuel and tech which they were expecting to recover in the next 100 years. Now that receovery period is over so we will have to shift into 'new' electric tech because the market power wants that. But the challenge is pollution at the source of electricity generation plants and pollution caused by dumping of batteries in the upcoming years.
      Sir 2 points
      1. To increase range bigger batteries are needed. Bigger batteries=More weight which will take the range down.
      2. About recycling, Tesla is giving a million mile warranty. Tata and Hyundai around 8 years I think. After say 8 years these batteries will go through multiple cycles of recycling and most of the parts will be taken out. Yes there will be parts which will not be used but the "dumping" won't be that high than people claim.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nanu.007 View Post
      Sir 2 points
      1. To increase range bigger batteries are needed. Bigger batteries=More weight which will take the range down.
      2. About recycling, Tesla is giving a million mile warranty.
      Tesla does not give a million mile warranty. Tesla gives 8 years with unlimited warranty.
      They only claim their batteries will last a million miles.

Awesome

Tesla does not give a million mile warranty. Tesla gives 8 years with unlimited warranty.
      They only claim their batteries will last a million miles.

Thanks for the correction respected sir. I thought that they had already implemented it.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

People are not satisfied with Teslas customer care. I would compare it with what many of you complain about at Indian dealers.
      4 months to sort out a leak or repair a sun visor that does not stay in place.
      If you do the smallest repair yourself, you lose all warranty.
      Damage an alloy and you pay about $500 US for a new one.
      If I were in India, I would go for an Indian brand for an electric car.
      Tesla did not even have faith to build their new factory in India. The factory went to China.
      Last week Germany stopped their factory plans there.

Awesome

Sir 2 points
      2. About recycling, Tesla is giving a million mile warranty. Tata and Hyundai around 8 years I think. After say 8 years these batteries will go through multiple cycles of recycling and most of the parts will be taken out. Yes there will be parts which will not be used but the "dumping" won't be that high than people claim.
      Small nitpick: bigger range does not mean bigger battery. Bigger range requires better chemistry. Better chemistry requires research by brilliant scientists in high tech labs and lots of money.

And you need someone to spend all that money with no guarantee of better chemistry at the end. And even if someone comes up with better chemistry, then they have to burn a lot of money to make it commercially viable. So spend a lot of money with no guarantee of commercial viability.

And if it becomes commercially viable, you still have to see if the batteries are stable in tropical countries like India. Cars are meant to have significant off-road capability in India. Otherwise they fall apart very quickly in our cities. So lots of money is needed to achieve that.

Above are the reasons why traditional motor car companies don't do electric. They just don't have the financial muscle or the structure to handle that kind of cash burn.

Awesome

People are not satisfied with Teslas customer care. I would compare it with what many of you complain about at Indian dealers.
      4 months to sort out a leak or repair a sun visor that does not stay in place.
      If you do the smallest repair yourself, you lose all warranty.
      Damage an alloy and you pay about $500 US for a new one.
      If I were in India, I would go for an Indian brand for an electric car.
      Tesla did not even have faith to build their new factory in India. The factory went to China.
      Last week Germany stopped their factory plans there.

Sir, agree with everything. Tesla would have had a factory in India but due to the make in India initiative wherein one needs to buy atleast 40% products from local market, they went to China. Plus they were asking for tax cuts which they didn't get. Now they plan on importing as CBU's from China.
      The factory is still going ahead as per this
      Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg - Wikipedia

1 more thing, why is Tesla selling so much then? I am not a Tesla fanboy just discussing things.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ramakant View Post
      Small nitpick: bigger range does not mean bigger battery. Bigger range requires better chemistry. Better chemistry requires research by brilliant scientists in high tech labs and lots of money.

And you need someone to spend all that money with no guarantee of better chemistry at the end. And even if someone comes up with better chemistry, then they have to burn a lot of money to make it commercially viable. So spend a lot of money with no guarantee of commercial viability.

And if it becomes commercially viable, you still have to see if the batteries are stable in tropical countries like India. Cars are meant to have significant off-road capability in India. Otherwise they fall apart very quickly in our cities. So lots of money is needed to achieve that.

Above are the reasons why traditional motor car companies don't do electric. They just don't have the financial muscle or the structure to handle that kind of cash burn.
      True. Scientists are already showing results
      https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonypos.../#51e34a291837
      Samsung Robb Report

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

I do not think it is a big issue to cater for different standards. Adapters can easily be made. Also, as long as we do not standardize (maybe never) this will continue. India has proposed a standard but I do not think it is/will be popular.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      I do not think it is a big issue to cater for different standards. Adapters can easily be made. Also, as long as we do not standardize (maybe never) this will continue. India has proposed a standard but I do not think it is/will be popular.
      From an ev station owner's perspective, one can only invest in charging machines of a particular standard. As per adapters, I have never seen a video wherein one used an adapter at a charging station. Maybe they can be an answer to this.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information