• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maintaining my i10

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by aashish2137 View Post
      Apart from this, spark plugs replacement is fine?
      If given in the manual, definitely.

Anything else you'd recommend?
      Fuel filter change.
      I hope you are doing your tyre rotations and WA/WB. Else, I really cannot think of anything else for now. It's been a long while I have maintained a hyundai, so I really am not upto date with what is going on with regards to the services.

I want to prepare it for the winter season and more importantly, trying to clean things once and begin the maintenance schedule from the scratch.
      Good to know that you are interested in maintaining your cars

One more thing, your views on power steering hydraulic (greasing power steering components)
      No

throttle body cleaning?
      Muztariq mentions that it is given in the manual.. If so, then just for this time do it since you wish to start from scratch. Subsequently, don't. Instead every 30-40k kms, just add a good fuel system cleaner (as recommended) and that to only one/two tanks. No point in anything more.

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

hiccups = spark plugs for hyundai engine..
      Throttle body cleaning is just 800bux.. get it done..
      electrically assisted power steering needs no maintenance, sealed for life box.. (Although if you hear clicking while the vehicle is on the move, under steering rack, its about to go kaput)
      Pay attention to wheel alignment and balancing and rotation.
      check battery fluids..
      Get the clutch cable tightened..
      Its a trouble free engine for most part..

radiator fluid flush not needed unless the stale coolant has turned brown.

and for the suggestion that it should be done at HASC or any other service center is totally on the technical prowess of the Service engineers/Mechanics there, I found my HASC mechanics here top notch.

Before, I used to go to another HASC, complete retards, screwups on every service, liers and what nots..

so depends totally on the service center, you have to find out which one does good..
      Last edited by Dinesh Sachdev; 12th Oct 2013 at 22:55.
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

D'oh!

Awesome

Thank you guys, appreciate your time and response on this!

Quote Originally Posted by muztariq View Post
      As I mentioned earlier.. If your 30K service is due check my previous response. Copy pasting again:
      I read your previous reply religiously Muztariq, its just that I read about these jobs a little and was curious again, hence the queries. No offense meant.

Apart from that, no flush, no additives, no de-carbonising.. they all are not required. If you have a lot of money, there is no harm in getting them done too.
      I get the gist!

i10 has 155/80R 13 - I am unable to edit my earlier post now
      Yes, its R13.

Quote Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
      If you want to upsize, 175/70 R13 is the best size. It cannot be fit on stock rims though as they are 4 inches.
      If you want to stick to the same size, you can buy Michelin XM2, or Yokohama A-drive or the Apollo Acceleres
      Yes I've stock steel rims and intend to continue with them. There is no upsizing on those rims at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
      I hope you are doing your tyre rotations and WA/WB. Else, I really cannot think of anything else for now.
      I'm planning to get new tyres later this month. So all tyre related jobs will be covered there.
      Muztariq mentions that it is given in the manual.. If so, then just for this time do it since you wish to start from scratch. Subsequently, don't. Instead every 30-40k kms, just add a good fuel system cleaner (as recommended) and that to only one/two tanks. No point in anything more.
      Manual mentions a lot more, including decarbonizing and what not. But then, I'm troubling you guys over here for a reason, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh Sachdev View Post
      check battery fluids..
      Get the clutch cable tightened..
      Its a trouble free engine for most part..
      Wooops! Completely forgot these. Thanks!

Before, I used to go to another HASC, complete retards, screwups on every service, liers and what nots..
      so depends totally on the service center, you have to find out which one does good..
      I used to get the service from Chandigarh where the sales guy (whom I got 5 clients!) used to get things done the easy way. Here in Noida, I'm trying a new HASC. Let's see how it goes!
      I talked to 2 service managers yesterday (yes, I'm being skeptical this time!) and decided to go ahead with the latter. Also inquired from him if they will put synthetic oil to which he refused. He rather said that the additives they add make mineral oil equivalent to synthetic (hahahahahhahahaaa!)
      Rest let's see how it goes tomorrow, have booked a service appointment for 8.30!
      Last edited by aashish2137; 12th Oct 2013 at 23:38.
      In God we trust, others we audit!

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Manual mentions a lot more, including decarbonizing and what not. But then, I'm troubling you guys over here for a reason, no?
      Decarbonising is not mentioned in the manual. Check these manual pages I attached. Its not 8.30 am yet(your appointment is still to execute I think) hence taken images from mobile cam and didnt bother the SLR.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131013_074031.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	585.5 KB 
ID:	159031  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131013_074105.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	159032  

Name:	IMG_20131013_074120.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	575.1 KB 
ID:	159033  

Name:	IMG_20131013_074134.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	707.7 KB 
ID:	159034  

Name:	IMG_20131013_074146.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	723.5 KB 
ID:	159035  

D'oh!

Awesome

My bad, I must have mixed it with car dekho's recommendations.

Anyway, job card is done. Apparently the cover charge of 1050 includes engine tuning (what?!), scanning, brake check, underbody check (nuts and bolts), all lights check and washing. That's all! :|

The advisor mentioned everything out of the booklet, including engine oil and gear oil additive. Refused for both. The estimate has ballooned to 5000 (a moment of silence for my wallet!)

Booking a service appointment is a sham here. No difference in treatment with or without appointment. The ETA is 3pm because there are other customers before me :/
      Talked to the manager and got it down to 1pm.

PS: there is no window to look at the workshop directly from the customer lounge. Isn't that mandatory for all ASS'?

D'oh!

Awesome

So I'm a happier soul today, having not-so-bad memories from the 30K service
      Thank you GHDians!

Here are the brief events of yesterday:
      Had an appointment for 0830 hours with Nimbus Hyundai (Sector 5, Noida) and was there spot on. Though Google maps directed me to their body shop instead, the approach road to which passed through a village. Nonetheless, reached the SC on time.
      A Service Advisor ("SA") was immediately allocated who got busy in checking for dents and damages on the vehicle's body for noting it down on the job sheet. I interrupted the enthusiastic fellow and asked him what all is included in the service. The pre-recorded audio went on: periodic maintenance service (PMS), engine oil, air filter, fuel filter.......

I asked him to first finish what he was doing and then discuss with me the jobs that need to be done.

The first inquiry, what all would the PMS include? The response:
      1. Cleaning, washing (bleh!);
      2. All light checks (whatever!);
      3. Engine tuning (Okay, seriously?);
      4. Scanning (Yes, its not the same!); and
      5. Underbody check. (Erm, what's that? Sir, we check for lose or missing nuts and bolts on the underbody of the vehicle).

Although unsatisfied with the explanation and the charges, and having left without an option, I instructed him to get the following jobs done:
      1. Engine oil and oil filter replacement;
      2. Gear oil replacement;
      3. Brake oil replacement;
      4. Coolant replacement;
      5. Radiator flush (if the coolant is too dirty);
      6. Fuel filter replacement;
      7. Air filter replacement; and
      8. Check battery and miscellaneous.

Here is what the job sheet looked like:

Engine oil and gear oil additive was added by the SA on his own. Got them canceled. He was also excited to sell me wheel alignment and balancing. Refused them all.
      There was no TD of the vehicle but the SA did rotate the steering to both extremes and mentioned that the bush might have given away since there was a faint noise. I couldn't even hear the noise properly. But since he mentioned, I asked him to check the particular part and ask me before replacement, if required.

The service booking fiasco
      0900 hours on the clock, the promised delivery time was 1530 hours. Why? Because there were other vehicles before mine. So what's the point of "booking a service appointment"? Sir it means that we will definitely service your vehicle today, but can't promise the delivery time.
      Un-freakin-believable!

I leave the vehicle to meet the service manager who is courteous fellow who looks like someone who has never seen a workshop floor in his entire life. I explain him the situation and he reduces the delivery time by 2 hours, making it 1330 hours. Something better than nothing eh? I take it and settle down in the customer lounge.

A lounge without a view?!
      While I'm fiddling with the car's documents and trying to arrange them (now that I had a chance), I realize that I can't see the workshop from the lounge and there is no way I can see my car without walking 500 mts around the building to reach the floor. Superb!
      I call the SA and remind him that I need to see the drained coolant. Luckily, the washing was going on as we spoke and I rushed to see the events live (oh my god my eyes!!!).

Mugged over the coolant
      The green-ish coolant was drained in the puddle while the technician spoke incessantly about the dirt in the radiator. Frankly, I saw none. Simultaneously, an antique Accent was undergoing a flush and the floor was rustic red courtesy the contents. Still unconvinced, I told the technician I don't see the need for one to which he replied with, "Sir it is indeed dirty. Wait, I'll add a chemical to it and then you'll realize". Fair enough, a go ahead and the technician adds a white fluid to the radiator.

Will that fluid turn red if the radiator is dirty, I ask. To my utter surprise, the technician tells me that the fluid was the detergent and now they will "flush" it with water. Uh?! What the hell. But I look at the drain from the Accent and digress.
      The methodology for flushing is heart burning too. Water is passed through the radiator while the engine is revved at 4-6 RPM until the detergent is out of the system. Again, I let the technicians do their job. Washing done, 2 boxes of Servo Kool Plus coolant is added (without letting the engine cool off) followed by exactly the same amount of water and followed by more water since the mixture wasn't enough :-/
      Also the water used was the same used in washing, un-distilled. I even complained about it to the SA who tells me yahan peene ke liye distilled water nahi hota, radiator ke liye kahan se layein! (we don't get distilled water for drinking, where will we get it for the radiator).

The cleaning horror (oh my god, my eyes!)
      I snooped around the job floor for a while and saw the work going on smoothly. The car was done and brought to the gate where the SA took a TD (blurrgh, drove about 500 mts and came back!). I mentioned to him that the car is extremely dirty and needs another cleaning. Billing done and I reach the car parked in the same condition as it was before the TD. A call to the service manager and 4 lads cling on to it with shampoo and damp clothes, each one un-doing what the previous fellow did and ultimately leaving more finger prints, wax remains and dirt marks than there were before the "cleaning". It took me 30mins to direct the boys and get the job done half as neatly as it is expected.

The damage
      I confirmed the prices with another HASS in the same city shortly after the job card was made. The prices are standardized and hence there was little variation. But yet brought a damage of close to 5.3k

Overall, the experience was pleasant. Although it didn't start on a good note, some pestering for the SA ensured he wouldn't sell me needless fixes and some approach to the service manager got things going. The SC infrastructure is just at par (I've been to better SCs, aesthetically) but the job done was okay-ish. About whether I'll visit a HASS again for routine jobs, definitely not. Here's why:
      1. The rs. 1100 cover charge is a total rip off. The lights were checked in my presence and it was nothing more than "simply checking if the lights are working". Similarly I believe engine scanning and tuning would mean revving the engine till 5k RPM and nothing more. A complete sham.
      2. The staff can definitely be more considerate to maintaining the vehicle. The extra effort on selling is just irritating.
      3. Waiting periods are too high. On any given weekend, 5 hours is a standard time for a service.

There would be more reasons but I'm glad about the fact that I knew something about what was going on, what was required and how things work. Once again, many thanks to you guys!

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

Don't worry, its the same every where. SA’s get hefty commissions on these needless fixes, that's why they push.
      like I said only if the coolant is brown it needs flush.
      anyways good to hear your experience gone well.
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

The rs. 1100 cover charge is a total rip off
      This is done on all cars. I don't think there is a way to get rid of this. You did get mugged for the radiator flush, but then it was your first time, so you did pretty good. Why were the caliper pins replaced?

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Radiator flush was unnecessary.
      Get the wheels aligned from somewhere else. Its required every 5K if you are on rough terrain occasionally. Saves tyres from uneven wear and also ensures good contact with the road.
      Brake oil was not replaced? It was on your list of essentials. Hardly matters if it wasn't.

Just to add, next SVC visit should be 60K service (if you dont break something). Save this 1100 of yours and take your car to a good pitshop/service centre every 10K/year. Some have highly competent staff and gives attention to detail rather than the superficial looks in the SVC.
      Last edited by muztariq; 14th Oct 2013 at 18:14.

D'oh!

Awesome

like I said only if the coolant is brown it needs flush.
      Radiator flush was unnecessary.
      Yep, it was a neat trick and I realized too late.

You did get mugged for the radiator flush, but then it was your first time, so you did pretty good. Why were the caliper pins replaced?
      Sigh.
      The SA said caliper pins are required at 30K. Since I had no idea about it, I didn't protest.

Get the wheels aligned from somewhere else. Its required every 5K if you are on rough terrain occasionally. Saves tyres from uneven wear and also ensures good contact with the road.
      I'm looking to get all 4 tyres replaced this weekend. They have already outlived their lives. So I didn't bother with WA/WB with HASS. Otherwise I get it done from a reputed tyre shop nearby.

Brake oil was not replaced? It was on your list of essentials. Hardly matters if it wasn't.
      Yes it was. I forgot to mention I guess.

Just to add, next SVC visit should be 60K service (if you dont break something). Save this 1100 of yours and take your car to a good pitshop/service centre every 10K/year. Some have highly competent staff and gives attention to detail rather than the superficial looks in the SVC.
      Yea, I've heard good things about a garage nearby. Will give it a shot next time. The cover charge is a joke!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information