• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pl. Help, Steering wheel become tight -Ritz

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Pl. Help, Steering wheel become tight -Ritz

Hi,

I had changed all 4 tyres, 4 months back of my 2010 Ritz which completed only 4750 km till date and 500 km after the Tyre change. Recently around 1 month, i noticed that the steering wheel become tight and there is a considerable loss of power steering. After the tyre change, the tyre shop owner had done the wheel alignment.

Could you pl help what would be the problem? Is it due to back wheel alignment done by that tyre shop? No warning signal in the console...

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Have you checked the power steering fluid level?

Awesome

antony, Tight/heavy Steering on your Ritz is the present problem you want to resolve. Right?

You had changed the tyres after running 4250kms only (4750-500 kms). I interpreted this from your post. Did your car run this much only in 2-3 years? Why did you need to change the car tyres after so less mileage? If you did face any issues causing tyre wearing, please put them here which may help in understanding the issue, if it was present well before changing the tyres.

Very first doubts (other than ^ this) goes to power steering fluid, hose or pump, or something might have been tighten in the steering system. There can be few other reasons.

#mods will surely help you to reach the logical conclusion of your problem.
      Last edited by Dev11; 9th Oct 2013 at 22:59.

Awesome

Need help-hair crack in tubeless tyre - Page 2

kindly see the above thread in which what caused change of my tyres. New tyres are of JK torondo and i had run till only 500 km.. And the steering is electrical not hydraulic powered.

Getting back to being myself
      .. slowly

Awesome

antony, Does Ritz come with EPS or HPS ?
      2008 Hyundai i10 1.2 Sportz - 45,000 kms
      2012 Bajaj Avenger 220 - 4,900 kms
      2013 Tata Indica Vista - 3,300 kms

2004 Maruti 800 BS II - 59,000 kms - SOLD
      2007 Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3 - 22,800 kms - SOLD

"The cars we drive say a
      lot about us"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
      Could you pl help what would be the problem?
      Dear Antony, sad to read about your car's power steering problem. The highly probable root cause of this problem is a blown fuse which is occurring due to shorted power steering motor. Kindly visit your service station and kindly get the fuse replaced. In addition to the problems you have listed kindly elaborate the following few points for my knowledge please. In case the problem is resurfacing, the best idea will be to to get a complete power steering replacement and move on.

1. You have mentioned that your car has run merely 4750 kms from the date of purchase i.e. 2010. In this short run, i don't think that a tyre replacement should be done.
      2. Is your car petrol or diesel.

Thanks !

Hastalavista
      Potential to GND

Awesome

antony - I suspect a faulty EPS motor. Since there's no PS error displayed on the console, I'm guessing that the electricals are alright. Still, it's a good idea to open the fuse box and check the PS motor fuse. Refer the Owner's Manual to locate the fuse (inside the fuse box). The fuse box is located behind the steering column, you'll have to pull open the FRP panel to access it.

Though it need not be related, did you find the problem immediately after you replaced the tyres, or after running for the 500km that you mentioned? If something had happened because of the alignment (the mechanic screwed up something on the suspension components), you would've noticed it immediately. I'm assuming that the mechanics didn't touch anything in the steering column
      para_7k and Dev11 - Ritz comes with EPS, so there's no question of PS fluid, hose or pump
      Last edited by silversteed; 10th Oct 2013 at 12:43.
      What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Getting back to being myself
      .. slowly

Awesome

silversteed, Yes, that is why asked that question. I agree with you on the EPS part. But the fure box cover itself should indicate the one for EPS right ?

I don't think alignment would have done anything to the steering as such. If you upgrade to wider and stickier tyres, steering is bound to get tighter.

But antony, has to mention the level of tightness, whether he is not able to turn at all or its just tighter than before.
      2008 Hyundai i10 1.2 Sportz - 45,000 kms
      2012 Bajaj Avenger 220 - 4,900 kms
      2013 Tata Indica Vista - 3,300 kms

2004 Maruti 800 BS II - 59,000 kms - SOLD
      2007 Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3 - 22,800 kms - SOLD

Born to drive cars & bikes

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
      Hi,

I had changed all 4 tyres, 4 months back of my 2010 Ritz which completed only 4750 km till date and 500 km after the Tyre change. Recently around 1 month, i noticed that the steering wheel become tight and there is a considerable loss of power steering. After the tyre change, the tyre shop owner had done the wheel alignment.

Could you pl help what would be the problem? Is it due to back wheel alignment done by that tyre shop? No warning signal in the console...
      Hello antony,If there's anything wrong with EPS motor you would see a steering wheel symbol on your dashboard.If yes there is something related to electical side of EPS that has to be looked upon and if you dont find any symbol it should be something related to the mechanical side of it and it can be anything from steering aligment caster bolt overtightening or steering column/linkages insufficient lubrication

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
      antony, Does Ritz come with EPS or HPS ?
      EPS

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crazybeat View Post
      Dear Antony, sad to read about your car's power steering problem. The highly probable root cause of this problem is a blown fuse which is occurring due to shorted power steering motor. Kindly visit your service station and kindly get the fuse replaced. In addition to the problems you have listed kindly elaborate the following few points for my knowledge please. In case the problem is resurfacing, the best idea will be to to get a complete power steering replacement and move on.

1. You have mentioned that your car has run merely 4750 kms from the date of purchase i.e. 2010. In this short run, i don't think that a tyre replacement should be done.
      2. Is your car petrol or diesel.

Thanks !
      The car is petrol. All my 4 tyres developed crack simulatneously so i had to remove all 4 and fit new ones..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
      antony - I suspect a faulty EPS motor. Since there's no PS error displayed on the console, I'm guessing that the electricals are alright. Still, it's a good idea to open the fuse box and check the PS motor fuse. Refer the Owner's Manual to locate the fuse (inside the fuse box). The fuse box is located behind the steering column, you'll have to pull open the FRP panel to access it.

Though it need not be related, did you find the problem immediately after you replaced the tyres, or after running for the 500km that you mentioned? If something had happened because of the alignment (the mechanic screwed up something on the suspension components), you would've noticed it immediately. I'm assuming that the mechanics didn't touch anything in the steering column
      para_7k and Dev11 - Ritz comes with EPS, so there's no question of PS fluid, hose or pump
      Immediately after replacement i did not notice..may be i could not identify..it is EPS. He did not do any other than replacement of tyres and alignment .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
      silversteed, Yes, that is why asked that question. I agree with you on the EPS part. But the fure box cover itself should indicate the one for EPS right ?

I don't think alignment would have done anything to the steering as such. If you upgrade to wider and stickier tyres, steering is bound to get tighter.

But antony, has to mention the level of tightness, whether he is not able to turn at all or its just tighter than before.
      It is just tighter than before...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information