• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Ownership review of Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Ownership review of Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa

Guys(and Girls if any), I have been sharing my ownership experience of my car in some other threads. Thought of putting it all here.

Right now I am going in for a horn change. For those who does not know, i10 comes with a very low sounding horn. I was looking for a better horn but was not getting time to shop for one.

On my recent official trip to Chandigarh I went across a market exclusively for automobile. I was very new to the place but didnt spent much time getting familiarized to it.

Bought two horns from there. The images are attached.

While the Skoda(fake) one is just for experimentation. The Hella would be actual replacement.
      One would be surprised at the pricing (May be it was just me wh0 got surprised!) The Skoda(Fake) is Rs 250 and Hella - Rs 350.

Hella is available in Rs 610 online. Though the listed price on the pack is Rs 436 only. http://www.ebay.in/itm/100-Original-...#ht_2653wt_906

I think the cost of putting it in and bringing them through airport security checks is higher. The security officer promptly asked about these big metallic objects in the baggage!
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-19-013.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	754.5 KB 
ID:	160174  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-19-014.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	764.4 KB 
ID:	160175  

Name:	2013-10-19-015.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	844.9 KB 
ID:	160176  

Last edited by muztariq; 19th Oct 2013 at 09:43.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Its time for some updates..

Firstly, the horn I installed is doing is duty quite well. The problem faced during installation was that the default space provided for the horn is only for a single piece. The Skoda horns were quite large for the space therefore the horns were routed and are now sitting near to the battery compartment. The sound is quite an earful!

Replaced the battery before the Vizag trip. Trip from Hyderabad to Araku Valley via Vizag (1660 kms))

Got an Amaron AAM-FL-0BH40B20L. This is the only Amaron battery that fits i10. The prices have fallen from 4200 two months back to 3200 presently(as per batterybhai.com). You dont see battery prices falling but they did!! I got it for INR 3400 from a local vendor after quoting the batterybhai price. He was quoting 4000 before he heard the battery bhai price.

Got the car serviced from Mahindra firstchoice yesterday. It was the 30K service so instructed them to replace coolant and transmission oil in addition to the engine oil which they would anyway do. I took my oil to the service centre which they didn't accept. They have put Petronas Urania 15w40 CI-4 oil. It also confirms to API SL standards. What surprised me was that they are putting this oil in every car they get for service, whether diesel or petrol. There is a huge hoarding stating oil capacities for various cars and the engine oil, whether its diesel or petrol car, oil is invariably mentioned as Petronas CI-4 15w40. Whether you take an alto or an Innova both will have same oil filled. The oil I took was ELF Performance 3D 15w40 CI-4. My choice was not much different from their's . For cars running on synthetic its Petronas 5w40.

The cost incurred was INR 4000. This does not include the wheel alignment and balancing which I was about to get done on the new tyres.

The tyres were now 5 years/30K kms old MRF ZEC 155/80. The tire safety bug had hit me a month back. The tread was intact and could have easily done 15K more kms but my mind was consistently reminding me to change them. I was not worrying any tire burst but was concerned about 100-0 distance. Finally jotted down to Michelin XM2s of the same size yesterday. The ride has improved considerably and its more comfortable and silent now. On ZECs I was facing one peculiar problem - there were wheelspins on any small incline when I tried to accelerate hard, whether this problem is resolved or not with XM2s remains to be seen. Nevertheless, I am enjoying the ride.
      Last edited by muztariq; 2nd Feb 2014 at 07:47.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Crazy XM2 issue

Seriously guys, just yesterday I changed my i10s tyre to XM2s and today I found my wifes santro which was on XM2s having a cut. Images attached. In just 3K-4K kms and 6 months this has happened! She is not a reckless driver and drives her car quite smoothly. Tyre installation update is mentioned on this thread Car Tyre Upgrade Guide - Page 17

I am _ _ _ off seeing this as I have made an investment just yesterday on XM2s again on my car.

May I request members here to please pitch in and tell me whether it can be claimed under warranty or is there anything which I should do with the tyre? How unsafe the tyre is now?

Also see the cracks which has developed on the corners of the sidewall. The tyre is not good for the Indian conditions I think. Will resolve not to suggest these to anyone or buy myself next time.

Images attached.

Name:	20140202_173053.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	897.8 KB 
ID:	171245  

Name:	20140202_173110.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	698.0 KB 
ID:	171246  

Last edited by muztariq; 2nd Feb 2014 at 16:45.

Toll Free Suresh

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by muztariq View Post
      The sound is quite an earful!
      Even i fixed windtone horns (dual) in my santro xing back in 2010. The noise is sufficient enough to scare even the bus and lorry drivers.

"Omelette du
      fromage"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by muztariq View Post
      the horn I installed is doing is duty quite well.
      Was it a DIY? Please post the details and pics, if you have them.
      Ford Figo TDCi ZXI May '12 | Hyundai Accent CRDi Nov '05 | Honda Unicorn Mar '10 | Hero Honda Passion Sept '02

Hun 2die4

Awesome

The XM2 are at it again! Got a flat tyre on my i10. When checked, the tyre had a crack. Something on the road pierced and slit the tyre.

I have been using bridgestones, mrf ZEC on the same stretch and XM2 on my wife's santro and my i10 are performing very very poor!

I wished I never bought these. Took the tyre to the place I got it from. Michelin engineer had a look today and said it is accidental damage. The tyre is shining new(<3K kms) but is not useable now! The dealer was asking me to put a tube inside. I am still to collect the tyre from the dealer and all these updates are from mobile conversations. Would post a pic of the damaged tyre once I get it back.

I have lost all confidence of using XM2s now. The moment I see any uneven patch I literally pray that the tyres dont rupture!

My suggestion to all - Dont go for XM2s. 4 MRF ZECs 155/80 would cost 11000 INR but XM2s cost above 16000 INR, this is 50% higher straight. No issues with money but what you actually get is a piece of delicate soft rubber. The peace of mind I was having when I hit the highway is all lost. Even after taking the best which was on offer, I am feeling cheated.

Short live Michelin. Top 221 Complaints and Reviews about Michelin Tires

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Here are the images.. It really hurts to see scrap as the recommendation from the Michelin Engineer for a relatively new tyre!

Name:	20140727_171200.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	188523  

Name:	20140727_171359.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	188524  

Name:	report.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	188525  

Down To Earth , But Still
      Above The All

Awesome

yep , it would hurt you deeply. i too had such a situation , where i bought mrf tyres for my indica, the next day i took a drive from my native to chennai , which is just a mere 150 km drive. when i reached my destination, tyre had blast. i took the tyre to the dealer on the third day after purchase and got the same reply from the dealer and from the mrf engineer.
      BABUANBU

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Thumbs up

With a heavy heart sold our beloved car.. the farewell image.

My final ownership report of the kappa 1.2:

Pros:
      1) Zero maintenance
      2) Powerful(0-80 in second gear) and Zippy (handles great)
      3) Very good highway manners. Initially, the steering was very light and I didnt liked that dancing in the hands feeling. But, with better tyres the car was superb.
      4) Highway Mileage of 16-17 no matter how you drive. Above 140 it would fall, but still excellent.
      5) Brakes

Cons:
      1) City mileage of 11 - 12 km/l. Not a big concern, but New Honda City Petrol gives 14-15 in the same stretch I drive.
      2) Front suspension were not so good.
      3) Repeated shifts on approaching speed brakers. Wont move in low rpms. DOHC engine needs high revs. Have to go as low as 1st gear on such speed brakers.
      4) Some rattles here and there.
      5) Tank capacity of just 35 L. Hated it, seriously. With around 7 Lit for low fuel warning, you have just 28 Lit. I have to fill 3-4 times sometimes to reduce risks, for a journey of 700 kms one side.
      6) Horns. I honk in emergency situations only.. and the single piece horn was useless. Got a dual tone horn fixed to resolve this issue.

The ownership experience was very fulfilling. The car over performed my expectations. Loved every aspect of the car. Had to let it go for a bigger vehicle.

Wishing farewell to the no non-sense car.

Name:	DSC01276.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	198056  

Why walk when you can run?

Thread Information