• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angelwax Guardian Wax - Short Review

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Angelwax Guardian Wax - Short Review

I got this wax from UK just before monsoon. My brother hand carried it, so saved on shipping. I had a mail exchange with John Hogg of Angelwax and looking at my requirement of durability, he recommended this wax.

I did carry out a small test on the bootlid sometime during the monsoon, but I believe the wax did not get time to cure well before the next shower. Anyway, last weekend I prepped the car and put on one layer of AW Guardian on the whole car. Today I topped it with another layer, and thought of posting a short review.

Product Description as per website -

Guardian, from Angelwax, is our ''High Endurance Detailing Wax'' designed to give the ultimate in wax protection for the bodywork of your vehicle. Formulated by our chemists in our laboratory, this is our most durable wax to date offering protection that comfortably exceeds 6 months.

As with all of our products, we ony use the finest pharmaceutical grade waxes and natural oils the planet has to offer thus ensuring sheeting, beading and durability is at its peak.
      Unfortunately the website does not provide any instructions, so I once again exchanged a couple of mails with John and he replied back with this -

As regards the Guardian a thin film a panel at a time is how to do it,ie when you have finished the panel then remove it.
      The jar -

It's a regular plastic wax jar, and the overall packaging is good, though I would expect something like a fancy box for a premium wax like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130711_212223.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	161117

Consistency of the wax is really good. It's neither a soft wax nor a hard one, but slightly on the higher side. If you want to press your finger in, it would take some effort, but the wax transfers very well onto the applicator.

Smell of the wax is also very nice to start with. I say "to start with" because a nice aroma hits you when you open the jar. However, start working with it and soon the original waxy smell overpowers the aroma.

Application -

For the first time around, I followed John's instructions - applied to each panel, and removed. The wax goes on nice and even and thin. In fact, so thin that it's actually quite difficult to see it spreading on unless the angle of light is just right. Removal is also a little tricky since again it's difficult to see which part of the panel has the wax layer and where it's removed. This problem is compounded multiple times since my car is silver. It would be nice to try this out on a dark, preferably black car.

However, my preferred method of waxing is different - I like to wax the whole car, let it haze and then remove it all at one go. I tried this method today for the second coat. It worked, but removal was that much harder. The wax does not haze, and on my car, I thought that I could do away with buffing. the car did not show any streaks or unevenness on the paint unless you see it under a light.

Start buffing though, and the paint literally changes under the microfiber like a small miracle. I did have to buff hard today because the wax had almost caked hard on the paint, but the harder I waxed, the more liquid the finish became. I doubt my car has looked this wet before. I could not notice this the first time around since by the time I waxed, it was almost dark.

Looks -

The car looks incredibly wet under the wax. Also, there is a superb flake pop under the Sun. Normally it is difficult to get both these things together, but this wax is certainly providing both the wet look and flake pop at the same time. However, I would certainly want to try it out on a dark car before making any definite statements about the looks.

Water behaviour -

After the first coat, I had tried sprinkling some water on the bonnet by hand, and it beaded and ran down the bonnet beautifully. However, as I said earlier, it was dark and I did not take any photos / videos. Today I did not have any time for checking the water behaviour, so will try to capture tomorrow and post here.

Durability -

This is a question mark as of now. Angelwax claims a durability of 6 months +. However, this is in European conditions. In our conditions, I would be happy if I get 3-4 months. There is a caveat to this - I will have to hold the temtation of rewaxing my car before that.

Pics -

Following pics are from my mobile camera, so they are not of great quality. They are also straight from the cam, without any processing. Also, any results on a silver car are terribly hard to capture in a camera. In spite of all this, I think the pics do relate to my observations -

Thw wet looking roof -

Name:	20131026_102723.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	161119

Flake pop. I was so enticed with this that took not just one, but a couple more pics.

From a distance -

Name:	20131026_102642.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	161120

A little close -

Name:	20131026_102704.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	161121

Still closer -

Name:	20131026_102741.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	161122

Thanks for reading.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep forgetting to tag #detaling

OCD

Awesome

Guru, the flake pop is incredible. May we request a few more pictures in broad daylight please?
      And for poor people like me who can't afford exotic waxes, a shot of the open jar with what's inside will bring instant nirvana.

How was the application and removal compared to say a C845? Also, how did you prep the paint, it looks in excellent condition and the reflectivity suggests it can't be attributed to the LSP alone. If it is just the LSP, it is one hell of a wax.
      Drive it like you stole it and Detail it like you own it.

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
      May we request a few more pictures in broad daylight please?
      The pics are in more or less broad daylight. I am not posting pics of full car because the wheels are extremely dirty, and take away the appearance.

And for poor people like me who can't afford exotic waxes, a shot of the open jar with what's inside will bring instant nirvana.
      LOL, with your collection, that's a statement which will make anyone go Anyway, will post a pic of the open jar.

How was the application and removal compared to say a C845?
      I mentioned it. See, for me, 845 is very easy. Apply to all the car & allow to haze. Then remove it. This one is quite trickier.

Also, how did you prep the paint, it looks in excellent condition and the reflectivity suggests it can't be attributed to the LSP alone. If it is just the LSP, it is one hell of a wax.
      I think I mentioned it last week in my thread. However, it's a good question and worth mentioning here.

Made 10 litres of ONR solution.
      Used half of it to splash on the car for soaking the dirt.
      While the car was soaking, took a brush and APC to clean difficult places like around the windscreens, around the door handles, side mirrors, petrol fillinf cavity etc.
      Washed the car with the remaining ONR.
      Wiped it dry.
      Applied TRIX with a foam pad on the lower panels (Tried this since the spray head has gone to dogs. I changed to another spray head, but that was not chemical grde, so it too gave up on me - did not work very well)
      Rinsed down.
      Clayed the car with Notorious clay (except roof) using ONR 1:25 as lube.
      Rinsed and wiped the car dry.
      No polish / glaze though. I am just wondering, what would a combination of Prima Amigo and this wax look?
      Last edited by Guru; 26th Oct 2013 at 22:00.

OCD

Awesome

No seriously, I have never used a boutique wax nor do I own one.

The Prima Epic should add to the gloss under this wax though something like the Dodo Triplets (Lime prime, Lime Prime lite or Supernatural Micro Prime) would give a fantastic base with loads of oils for the wax to take it up a notch. BTW, we could use a review of the Prima Epic as well

Saving for a T-Jet

Awesome

Guru just awesome, can't stop looking at the pics.

how many coats and what applicator pad you used ?. By any chance the manufacturer mentioned the overall pure wax percentage and carnauba portion of it?.

Edit:- isn't prima epic obsolete ?
      Last edited by linuxmanju; 27th Oct 2013 at 00:56.

OCD

Awesome

Sorry I meant Amigo, not Epic.

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
      how many coats and what applicator pad you used ?
      One coat last Sunday, one yesterday. Total two coats as of now. However, I feel that the looks have improved hundredfolds after the second coat, which is in fact tempting me to go for a third one.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
      By any chance the manufacturer mentioned the overall pure wax percentage and carnauba portion of it?.
      Nope, the website is very skimpy in terms of information, and even I did not ask about it in my email. In any case, I doubt they will divulge that information.

edit - One more thing I forgot to mention in the review - The wax does not stain trim in any way. In fact, I coated the trim around the ORVMs with this.
      Last edited by Guru; 27th Oct 2013 at 07:29.

www.greenzcarcare.com

Awesome

Guru, Looks very nice, did you clay it well before wax application, I could see some dark spots on the roof.

OCD

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
      Anyway, will post a pic of the open jar.

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

I know, I know mate. I also need to take beading and sheeting pics / videos.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information