• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap and rugged pre-owned SUV

Live life @ full throttle!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by getkaizer View Post
      Go for this. IMHO.
      Hi, the only issue with the Xenon is - in those running conditions, parts like clutch and suspension takes a hit. And Xenon's parts would be expensive right? Plus, the 140 bhp engine would return very poor FE.
      XUV5OO - a diesel highway tourer
      Civic A/T - a petrol city runabout

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

I would say avoid older Sumo models because you won't be able to drive them as freely as compared to other vehicles because of some safety hazards and poor history associated with them.

Instead go for Grande, that is a nice vehicle. Tagging junaid if he is available and can share his view on this.

BTW its a SUV thread but haven't heard names of Safari and Scorpio here, why?
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 28th Nov 2013 at 10:28.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
      Guys, we have almost finalized on a used Sumo Grande
      Tagging junaid. He might answer your queries on Grande.

You might read through his thread on Grande. Tata Grande? Why Grande? Why not a Scorpio, Safari, or at least an Innova...

Welcome, Torpedo. 2013 VW
      Jetta TDI with DSG.

Awesome

in those running conditions, parts like clutch and suspension takes a hit.
      My thinking is that since this vehicle was originally designed for cargo, the parts may be rugged to begin with.
      September 2013 (Mk.6.) 2.0 VW Jetta TDI with DSG, Highline.

Betta Getta Jetta

内部、燃える

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

I have seen good examples of Sumo Grandes going for as low as 3-3.5 Lacs
      That is good value in today's market. No wonder you were so inclined towards it. That car is seriously under-rated.

Mostly all Sumos are in such conditions
      The bolero's are even worse!

Now, I am just hoping the infamous 2.2 Dicor engine just not cause any major issues
      What have you heard about this engine that makes you wary? The only downside of this engine is you have to ensure it gets it regular service, and timing belt change done. I have skipped multiple services on my bolero DI's without any issues whatsoever till its complete overhaul. When it went for overhaul, it was still running on its original belts, and coolant! My service intervals have always been at 30-40k kms interval. If I had been more nice to the engine, I am sure, it would have survived much much more. The turbo is still holding up good inspite of not following the idling rules. When it was opened, it was found that the coolant which had not been replaced for all these years had become like water which had leaked into the engine, and caused rust formation in the engine head! The engine was running like this for a 1k kms. This is what I mean of no worries associated with DI bolero engine.
      When I was buying the quanto, I was informed by the service head of the A.S.S. (who knows how the bolero is run) to strictly follow the service guidelines for this new engine. He was clear, that an overhaul will set me back by a LOT, if I will continue to use the quanto like I do the bolero.

My point is, all you to do is follow the service guidelines for the crde/dicor type engines, since if they were to fail, only then you are looking at big costs. If serviced properly, they will last as much or maybe more than their DI counterparts. Since you were going to buy the car for your company purposes, I assumed that in such situations, it may be easy to forget the service intervals. Let me give you an example. I myself instruct my drivers to instruct me when the 10k kms interval limit on the bolero is over. Since the car is erratically run, it sometimes covers 10k kms in 1.5 months and sometimes in more than 6 months. But, my drivers almost always instructed me when it was too late. Simple things...which are so costly when ignored. This time, I have taken it to my head to make sure that the cars are given in time for service. To me it's an additional responsibility which was not required for me since I have ensured all other things (like I have changed my service center so that it is nearer to their home, or I have ensured that in case of a breakdown a mechanic/tow truck is available immediately etc.) to make my driver's life easier. I hope you get the point I am making.

Even this time, when I was buying a new car, my requirements were similar to yours (except for the pre-owned part). I would have gladly gone ahead with another bolero DI (which incidentally was ~1lac cheaper than quanto), but for my dad who wanted a change. So, instead I agreed to us getting the quanto provided we keep the bolero

Anyways, you know your how your employees and company the best. The dicor is a reliable machine provided you get it serviced on time by a competent mechanic.

Thanks,
      Simple_car

Awesome

Apart from the improvements in ride and quality, are there are reliability concerns in MK I?
      raj_5004 Me being the owner of a 2008 Grande which is Mark I, i have not heard or seen any other changes apart from what you have mentioned above, yes, there is a slight difference in gearing from what i have felt when i drove the Grande Mark II the long throw has been reduced, but still sucks big time compared to competitors.

Regarding reliability, we get this serviced as per schedule maintenance by TATA which is every 15k and all services so far have been done at TASS except the last one (which was a disaster, more about that in the ownership link) anyway, we normally get billed 10K, that has been the pattern from the last 5 years and 65K kms, now as with all the other vehicles here also i do see some issues coming up which again are part of premature maintenance like suspension bushes, brake disc changes, tyre changes etc.. mostly running parts.

Rest has been blissful ownership with this vehicle (touch wood) reliable and rigid, we frequently do blore-ooty, blore-trvm, and 85% in its 65 odd thousand kms has been on highways, with the 2.2 dicor engine running under the hood it can easily keep up with most of the sedans on highway in terms of speed and performance, but yes, it does bounce around a bit, having said that it depends on the driver again how well he/she can balance the ride.

In terms of rough use, i cannot say it will match Bolero, but its neither far behind, this i am saying after driving the vehicle on non-existent roads, and blore-virajpet-kannur with full load more than thrice, anyone who has done that route couple of years back can understand why i am referring to this, and every time my Grande has come back without a squeak in the cabin, and still holding up good i can barely hear anything loose even now after 5 years, funny when you know its coming from Tata, but the truth is its ageing well.

Hope the above helps with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
      No wonder you were so inclined towards it. That car is seriously under-rated.
      True, a very competitive vehicle, but completely under-rated..

I know few more people who own Grande, we all share the same opinion that its a very practical no nonsense vehicle, and dont really mind what the market fares, as this feels like a keeper unless one may want to upgrade or sell it for some personal reasons.
      Last edited by junaid; 28th Nov 2013 at 14:04.
      A lion lurks in everyone’s heart; awake him not.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      BTW its a SUV thread but haven't heard names of Safari and Scorpio here, why?
      For my usage, Safari and Scorpio would be an overkill.

That is good value in today's market. No wonder you were so inclined towards it. That car is seriously under-rated.
      I agree.

What have you heard about this engine that makes you wary? The only downside of this engine is you have to ensure it gets it regular service, and timing belt change done.
      Nothing in particular with the Grande. I have read a couple of Safari 2.2 reviews where the engine had some teething issues.

Anyways, you know your how your employees and company the best. The dicor is a reliable machine provided you get it serviced on time by a competent mechanic.
      Forget the employees, I will personally make sure the vehicle is serviced on time.

Quote Originally Posted by junaid View Post
      Me being the owner of a 2008 Grande which is Mark I, i have not heard or seen any other changes apart from what you have mentioned above, yes, there is a slight difference in gearing from what i have felt when i drove the Grande Mark II the long throw has been reduced, but still sucks big time compared to competitors.

Regarding reliability, we get this serviced as per schedule maintenance by TATA which is every 15k and all services so far have been done at TASS except the last one (which was a disaster, more about that in the ownership link) anyway, we normally get billed 10K, that has been the pattern from the last 5 years and 65K kms, now as with all the other vehicles here also i do see some issues coming up which again are part of premature maintenance like suspension bushes, brake disc changes, tyre changes etc.. mostly running parts.

Rest has been blissful ownership with this vehicle (touch wood) reliable and rigid, we frequently do blore-ooty, blore-trvm, and 85% in its 65 odd thousand kms has been on highways, with the 2.2 dicor engine running under the hood it can easily keep up with most of the sedans on highway in terms of speed and performance, but yes, it does bounce around a bit, having said that it depends on the driver again how well he/she can balance the ride.

In terms of rough use, i cannot say it will match Bolero, but its neither far behind, this i am saying after driving the vehicle on non-existent roads, and blore-virajpet-kannur with full load more than thrice, anyone who has done that route couple of years back can understand why i am referring to this, and every time my Grande has come back without a squeak in the cabin, and still holding up good i can barely hear anything loose even now after 5 years, funny when you know its coming from Tata, but the truth is its ageing well.

Hope the above helps with your decision.
      Thanks a lot. Yes, it has been of great help. Good to know that the Grande is a reliable machine.

In our operating conditions, small squeaks and noises will be overlooked. The only concern is that the vehicle should be rugged enough to operate in those conditions without breaking down.

Awesome

A sudden road block for the Grande -

I spoke to a guy who works in the same industrial plant and has a Grande. He advised me to stay against it. According to him, Grande is not suitable for those conditions and the car is giving a lot of issues compared to a Bolero or Sumo. Also, spares for the Grande are not easily available in Raigad. He has to come to Mumbai every time something happens.

Considering this as a one off case, I spoke to another person who rents cars to clients withing the site. He also advised me against the Grande as he had two of them and both were prone to niggles and issues. I got the same reply - buy a Bolero or Sumo.

Both guys unanimously said - pay a premium for a Bolero, it is worth it.

Damn, I was so close to picking a good Grande, a car which I though is good value for money. Now I am re-thinking.

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

raj_5004, What sort of niggles are they speaking of? Anyways, it is true that once you are out of the towns and cities, the spares availability will be limited to bolero and sumo, and other popular rural vehicles only.

Good condition bolero's and sumo's are very difficult to find, and almost always will require some sort of maintainence before you can put it to your use. If a good sample does come in the market, it is immediately picked up within a matter of hours! So unless you have the patience to scout the market, then please do continue with your search.

I didn't want to tell you this earlier, but if you are ok with it, go for a new bolero. The DI version can now be registered only in cities which are accepting BS3 vehicles (i.e. none of the big metros), and will set you back by ~6.5-7 for the base model (which comes with A/C but no PS... just check this, since mahindra changes the specs of bolero very frequently) depending on what sort of registration you are looking at. When I bought the quanto, mahindra dealers were offering free insurance and a exchange discount of 20k on the bolero. The car comes with a standard 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty only. So, you are free to service from a independent garage as soon as you drive it out of the showroom. You will have complete peace of mind for the first 3 years, and if the upkeep of the vehicle is good, you will definitely recover the extra money you put during resale.

If however, you are not willing to stretch the budget, then you may consider the bolero pick up which, when brand new will set you back by 4.5-5 for the base model which has no frills whatsoever. It can be registered as yellow board only though, and you can fit a aftermarket a/c.

Otherwise, the only other best option for you is the sumo gold. Worth the price for your usage. It comes with Tata's reliable engine, and is a worthy contender for you. It is ~50k more than a similar spec bolero, but tata dealers were giving good discounts when I was in the market.

Good luck.

Thanks,
      Simple_car

Awesome

What sort of niggles are they speaking of? Anyways, it is true that once you are out of the towns and cities, the spares availability will be limited to bolero and sumo, and other popular rural vehicles only.
      Suspension issues, clutch and other small engine issues.

What they said is that the Grande has just too many electronics, which do not survive in the dusty and harsh environment like we have there.

Good condition bolero's and sumo's are very difficult to find, and almost always will require some sort of maintainence before you can put it to your use. If a good sample does come in the market, it is immediately picked up within a matter of hours! So unless you have the patience to scout the market, then please do continue with your search.

Thanks,
      Simple_car
      Unfortunately, we do not have the budget for a new car. We are looking for 2 cars, one 7 seater UV and one 5 seater (double cab) pick up. In 7-8 Lacs, we can either opt for one new car or two used cars. And we need two cars at the moment.

Are you sure we will get a new Bolero Camper (double cab pickup) for 5 Lacs? I will surely check it out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information