• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Indian Car Sales Report - November 2013

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Indian Car Sales Report - November 2013

I need to apologize. I am due one anyway for number of reasons.

I have been away, not only from Indian Car Sales Reporting, but from this community for quite some time now. It is expected to end sooner than later. Life is getting little stable now - so is my new work.

I wont promise, but I'll try to bring my focus back to this ever amazing community.

Coming back to Indian Car Sales reporting analysis. I have been presenting the analysis in 5 segments for last few months:
      1. Overall manufacturer wise
      2. Price wise
      3. Segment wise
      4. Portfolio analysis and
      5. Manufacturer wise trend

Due to time and complexity constraints, I am trimming down this to just three segments. Price wise and Segment wise numbers will not be reported from this month onward and we'll just get to see the rest three. While I understand it wont make most of you happy - I am just trying to put my focus on doing something rather than not doing anything at all.

So, now, about the analysis itself. Lets look at the overall sales performance for the month of November - 2013 below:

Name:  Market share table (Custom).jpg
Views: 236
Size:  126.3 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Market share chart.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	164640

Name:  Change in Market.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:	Market Trend.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	164642

Top 25 cars in the market are stacked up as below:

Name:	Top 25 Chart.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	164643

Name:	Top 25 table.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	164644
      Last edited by rksingh1; 10th Dec 2013 at 19:52.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Portfolio wise sales Analysis

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Size:  43.4 KB

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Trend Analysis - Manufacturer wise

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  143.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  126.3 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  212.3 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  95.7 KB

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Great report as always rksingh1. Hope you're now settling down in your job.

My observations:

It's really interesting to Fiat's chart going North while almost every manufacturer chart is going South.
      Looks like Terano & Duster together are doing what's expected for Nissan & Renault. Despite stiff competition from EcoSport they seemed to have clocked decent numbers combined.
      Despite the introduction of W4 for XUV, doesn't seem to do the trick for Mahindra or probably is it year end which is the reason for slowdown?

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

Thanks a lot Ravi for putting this together, appreciate your time and effort on this.

Looks like another bad month for car manufacturers, almost every player has seen a decline in the sales.

Hyundai has made an impressive sales figure on i10 grand, wonderful idea on creating that segment

Wonder how Omni is still going strong, EECO was suppose to be much better product.

Good number by Duster and its twin brother Terrano

Also Figo numbers are declining month over month, Ford needs to act fast and not sleep over Ecosport success.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      It's really interesting to Fiat's chart going North while almost every manufacturer chart is going South.
      Thats because of the hefty discounts currently dolled out. A Diesel Lines is offered 1L+ as cash discount and similar attractive discount on Punto as well.
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

rksingh1,

you do not have to be apologetic. it is great that you could spare time for this activity. thanks for the report.

I read in ET, that the overall 4 wheeler market declined by 8% in Nov-13 compared to the sales during Nov-12, two wheelers grew by 1.44% compared to Nov-12, Commercial vehicles declined by 28%. It appears month of Diwali did not bring much cheer to the buyers and vehicle makers.

The numbers clearly indicate the not so positive optimism among the individual car buyers and commercial vehicle buyers. people are probably switching back to 2 wheelers thanks to increased fuel prices and inflation.

I also read that most of the car makers carry high inventory, which means the year end discounts will flow for next 3-4 weeks.

I am not very optimistic about the status the domestic car makers enjoy. Tata Motors are yet to revive the business. Acknowledgement from Mr. Tata about the wrong positioning of Nano as cheapest car will play on the morale of the team. M&M is clearly positioned in SUV/MUV/UV segment, which will see decline thanks to increasing diesel prices. Elections might revive the demand to some extent during April-June Quarter of 2014.

BUS segment will see increased pricing in coming quarters, thanks to safety improvements, training of drivers, backed by government regulation and increased awareness among travelers. But demand will remain same thanks to increased flight costs, inefficient train services, lack of credible alternative to urban transport.

Truck segment will see demand when issues with mining are resolved, infrastructure projects get re-started. That i expect only after the elections.

I saw few JV announcements, some improvements in the business performance of the component and subsystem providers, some announcements about investments in engine plants etc in last few weeks This is a good news as few players are looking at long term positioning than short term losses.

Issues with transfer pricing and increased activism by IT department will make people averse towards looking at Indian market as an export hub, in the short and medium term.

Good news i read in recent time is India declining to EU recently to reduce import duties for the refurbished vehicles. This stand will prevent dumping and help in ensuring that people invest in creating jobs here. Hope this stand remains in future as well.
      Last edited by Nomad; 10th Dec 2013 at 21:11.

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      BUS segment will see increased pricing in coming quarters, thanks to safety improvements, training of drivers, backed by government regulation and increased awareness among travelers.
      Bus manufacturers are waiting for JNNURM release, there is huge order in queue for them.

December will be a different scene, we should for sure see a jump in the sales numbers considering the year end discounts and offers
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Driving a Code 6 remapped
      Fiesta Classic

Awesome

Normally in December, most common people hesitate to buy cars,

due to the reason that in one month it appears as old model, when told to some one in 2014 as bought in 2013.

They will think it will affect their re sale ability of the vehicle later on.

That is why offers will be flooded in Nov and Dec months.

But since fuel prices are on ever increasing trend and reasons quoted in posts above,

and also price increase announced and yet to be announced by car OEMs make the purchase process even more slow.

Let us see how Jan 2014 trend looks like.
      Last edited by bala_321; 11th Dec 2013 at 09:50.

Toll Free Suresh

Awesome

I also read that most of the car makers carry high inventory, which means the year end discounts will flow for next 3-4 weeks.
      December is the month of discounts. Best time to buy the car of your choice. I too purchased in Dec 2008.

But demand will remain same thanks to increased flight costs, inefficient train services, lack of credible alternative to urban transport.
      Sir, as far as train services are concerned, it is the bus lobby that is killing this. Of course railways are equally responsible for this. I remember how the private bus operators lobbied hard to prevent the railways from operating train services on bangalore-mangalore route after gauge conversion was completed. Some sincere railway officials decided to go ahead and the rest is history.

Take the case of bangalore-chennai route. KSRTC operates a number of volvos on this sector. Then we have the private bus operators. There are 9 trains from bangalore to chennai on a daily basis (excluding the weekly, weekly thrice, week end services). Then we have an excellent 6 lane road connecting the 2 cities. Inspite of this, there is still demand for more services.

The govt should clearly understand that the choice of the public will vary. Not everyone will go by car, volvo. There are people who like to commute by volvo bus and others prefer their own mode of transport.

Apart from hubli and mysore, connectivity by train from bangalore to rest of karnataka is poor. On the other hand if you take TN, connectivity from chennai to other parts of TN is very good.

Still doubling of bangalore-mysore route is going on. Hopefully mallikarjun kharge has a broader vision for his state.
      Last edited by venbab; 11th Dec 2013 at 10:57. Reason: Merge Back to back posts

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Nice analysis rk, Keep the good work....

Thread Information