• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ownership report sonata embera 2005-1,10,000km

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

ownership report sonata embera 2005-1,10,000km

hello everyone!
      just registered my self in gear heads.I own a sonata embera 2006 automatic ebony black.We buyed the car back in august 2005 one of the first in northern india.From the starting the journey has had ups and down but mostly down.the first three years of ownership was trouble free but then in 2008 the problems started.

2008-
      Our family decided to have a vacation in mussourie,uttarakhand.So there were total 6 people with luggage.Mussourie is an hill station with the climb starting from the plains in dehradun.We started the journey from gurgaon.the distance between dehradun and gurgaon in 260 km with 35 km climb to mussourie.During the journey the car gave small jerks at travelling in speed of 85km/h.Like the engine was misfiring.But it stopped after 1 min.There was also slight lag in acceleration but not that noticeable.The problem started when we were started to climb to mussourie there was total loss of power car was not ready to accelerate beyond 40km/h.Somehow we managed to find a safe spot where we could safely climbout of the car and check it.it was pitch dark.Opened the hood and noticed a burning smell.but could not find any fault.So we waited for 10 min then again started.after 5 min car again acted loss of power slight burning smell it was very difficult on steep road brake were also fading.somehow we completed our journey and reached resort.We rested the car for 2 days knowing that it would not be okay to drive.
      After the vacation on our return journey first 150 km were completed normally car ran fine.but near muzzafarnagar a known crime area near delhi the car again acted sudden loss of power car not going beyond 40 km/h and slowly keeps on decreasing speed(after reasearch i found out that car entered safe mode which restricted engine power).imagine the experience when in night near a crime area car breakdown with family that was a complete horrifying moment.slowly we were travelling at 40km/h reached gurgaon at 12:00AM.started a t 2:00 pm 10 hrs for 260 km distance.
      Next day took the car to hyundai motor plaza,mathura road.they kept the car for 2 weeks and gave the following reasons-
      -Bad quality petrol
      -ignition coils were burned
      But they were also not able to track down the fault.Or they didn't even tried.
      then i started my own reasearch scanning hyundai forums and found out the problem was of throttle postion sensor and accelerator pedal sensor.Told this to to ASS they said they cannot replace the part if there are no codes in the computer.because the car never acted like this in normal city run only during long route when the components were under pressure they failed.
      And even when the sensors failed there was no check engine light or error code given by the ECU.
      I left the car as it is and used it only in cities.

2011-
      Again when i took my car to long drive the sensors acted up.But this time i gave my car to carnation and they were able to reproduce the problem and got the codes they were the same TPS(throttle postion sensor)and accelerator pedal sensor.I was telling the same to the ASS but they just didn't tried to found out what the real problem.The parts were then orderer costing 30,000.
      The funny thing is that whenever the car visited ASS new problems were created
      -sometimes the AC sensor got faulty and the car was only blowing cold air.Cost 15000
      -AC compressor stopped working cost-54000
      -driver seat switches stopped working-7000
      These thing happened on different visits to ASS but my father didnt said anything and told them to replace the parts.
      The hyundai ASS are quite incompetent to handle their top of the line models.i even discovered that my dashboard support mounts are broken.Now it shakes at every bump.The trim panels of the stereo are broken they must have tried to pry it open whereas first you have to remove the wood trim panel and then unscrew it.

2012-
      The factory paint was now fading on the c pillar and on the bonnet crease lines and there was lot of dings here and there.So it was decided it was now time for renovation so the car was given to autopsyche and got it repainted to mercedes caramel red.also added high beam projector lamps,angel eyes and HID.
      total cost-
      paint 50000
      denting 15000
      headlight job 30000
      ASS offered to the paint job in 30000 but i refused to give the car to them.

2013-
      In june 2013 the sensor again gone kaput and again the whole story of power loss and safe mode started i just ignored it.
      Then in july i felt that the car's brake are not as powerful as they used to be and it got proved when in delhi when the car didn't stopped and banged the santro in front.If i applied brake normally the car stopped without any hassle but when the pedal is pressed with full power suddenly the brakes are not sufficient and the ABS does not even kicks in.
      Took the car to orion hyundai the said master brake cylinder and brake booster is leaking and needed replacement.cost 35000 i was just curious to see what other are offering so i went to safdurjung hyundai on atul kataria chowk sector 14 i was surprised that the MBC is of 16000 and brake booster is of 35000.
      I think that hyundai does not control the prices of spares.
      Then the service advisor told me that the suspension needed overhauling and that they normally do it when car crosses 1,00,000 km i said okay and then they dropped the bomb shell saying the estimated cost of overhauling is 1 lac i said get lost and took my car away from safdurjang.and gave it back to orion for brakes replacement

And now the power steering pump is also malfunctioning as i turn the steering there is squealing noise.Checked the fluids all are normal.

Should i find a local mechanic that can source spares for sonata and do suspension overhaul?
      parts that needs replacement are all the bushings,upper control arm both sides,All the struts and mounts

even after all these problems i think that sonata is a great car with gem of an engine that still packs the same punch when it was new and it puts a smile on my face whenever i put my foot down.
      It is only let down by poor service provided by poor hyundai ASS who dont know how to handle these cars

Sorry but i will post the pictures tomorrow.

Awesome

MODS done till now
      1)Changed front components to jbl gto series
      2)Tire upsize from 215/60 r16 to 215/65 r16
      increased height to tackle gurgaon speed breakers
      3)LED number plate light
      4)rear parking sensors with camera
      5)Headlight HID conversion with projector retrofit and angel eyes

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Nice start.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhruv747 View Post
      Sorry but i will post the pictures tomorrow
      Just waiting for this. Our Pradeep also had an Embera
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by shishirbn View Post
      Nice start.

Just waiting for this. Our Pradeep also had an Embera
      pradeep's garage and mine are quite same i also have an renault pulse.what a coincidence

Everyone has regrets, make
      sure yours are more fun than
      others :D

Awesome

I have an Octavia, since its pretty old, we get all the work done from outside only. Its not much worth getting the work done from ASS since other workshops are also fairly competitive nowadays!
      I am quite sure, if you will search for the same parts in other spare parts shop, they might be half the price of what Hyundai is quoting. There are dozens of such shops in Delhi supplying original and good quality parts!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
      I have an Octavia, since its pretty old, we get all the work done from outside only. Its not much worth getting the work done from ASS since other workshops are also fairly competitive nowadays!
      I am quite sure, if you will search for the same parts in other spare parts shop, they might be half the price of what Hyundai is quoting. There are dozens of such shops in Delhi supplying original and good quality parts!
      Actually i have sourced AC compressor from karol bagh costed me 25000 with no warranty it had very less cooling compared to OEM one and malfunctioned in 2 weeks only.money down the drain

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Opened the hood and noticed a burning smell.
      This smell could be from an overheating AT....

Awesome

night pictures sorry for the quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131225_222405.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	594.3 KB 
ID:	166077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131225_222506.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	603.2 KB 
ID:	166078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131225_222449.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	166079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131225_223632.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	166080

- - - Updated - - -

it could be but never really traced it because that was the only instance i smelled it.
      Last edited by Dhruv747; 25th Dec 2013 at 22:51.

Everyone has regrets, make
      sure yours are more fun than
      others :D

Awesome

Actually i have sourced AC compressor from karol bagh costed me 25000 with no warranty it had very less cooling compared to OEM one and malfunctioned in 2 weeks only.money down the drain
      Ouch, That did hurt!

Karol bagh is the last place I would look for such expensive parts. I usually procure parts from Kashmere Gate or from one workshop in Vasant Kunj. That workshop in Vasant Kunj is himself the importer and stocks parts of all luxury cars (even mercs and beemers). I even bought the Turbo charger and Clutch Set for my car, and it served me quite well!

Another place is Palika Bhawan, near Hayatt hotel, its a whole market for Automotive parts!

Edit: Your car looks pretty good, still in a good shape!

Awesome

Can you tell me the address of the workshop in vasant kunj?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information