• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Octavian TDI 55k report

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Octavian TDI 55k report

Hey guys this is a 2007 skoda octavia elegance tdi .Its completed its silver jubilee now.

Flashback:

In jan 2007 we needed a new diesel car and the options suggested were

innova by the driver

Nissan xtrail and scorpio by me

Mom tata safari dicor 4wd

sister skoda

Driver 2 Accord.

Innova was ruled out because of the looks and we already had 2 innovas so no more.

Accord was petrol so no to it.

Nissan xtrail ,was overpriced so ruled out,scorpio ,folks at home didnt like the ride quality + we have a couple of them .

So the contenders were the safari vs the skoda octavia.

Though safari is junk i supported it because of the 4wd ,skoda i was not fond of because it was cramped and we have 3 already but were in company use.We had 7 safaris the tcic ones and they didnt give any problem and had an excellent ride quality.

We booked the safari 3.0 dicor topend 4wd version ,i already started searching for good A/T tyres.

Then our manager from Delhi calls one day to enquire about our purchase ,we have a safari dicor 2wd there and tells us it bacame junk in one year ,and the drivers too added their woe to my mom ,amma it will rattle after 1 year,it sounds like a leyland lorry ,it has no pick up etc ,all this while i was away and didnt know the happenings.

So the skoda comes home .
      Attached Images Attached Images  

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

lets hear about your skoda... hopefully a better tale than the ones which I keep hearing
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Awesome

Really interesting! Its long since i read something good about SKoda A.S.S., so looking forward to your report.
      Respect the Mans Car and the Man will Respect you

Awesome

Rajesh and akash there was on eincident which ill explain later.

Initial impressions of the car.

Looks ....kind of ok

Interiors.....superb ,there are in black thank god not in that shitty beige or gray. Little cramped for tall people BUT very good quality plastics.

Performance,hmm the power is quite linear ,performs best when gears changed soon i did a top speed of 185km with 5 people onboard with the A/C it still had more juice but the engine had done only 5000km.

This car flies after 120km and can cruise all day long at 160.Yellagiri ghat it did in 3rd and 4th gear.

more on other stuff to come

Awesome

In july 2007 i had to go to vellore from bangalore to see a ill relative.Plan was to drive from hyd to bang ,stay one night and next day to vellore.

Started at 10.30 PM in the night from hyd.Roads then were horrible since the 4 lane conversion ahd started,too amny diversions,potholes and too much traffic.That was the 1st time i took the skoda on the highway.Was pasting the road ,touching 170 and braking , going zigzag at speeds above 150km ,same thing went on till ananthapur then the brakes started losing stopping power,the pedal went in and in.The abs use to kick in ,only 30%brake now.After ananthapur there was no traffic upto bangalore ,reached hebbal flyover sharp at 3.30am ,it took 5 hrs .During that time in that strech it use to take 10 hrs because of the condition of the road even for people who did that route in 7 hrs before.So i think the car took a lot of beating,folks call that drive "video game drive" .Drove like i was possesed..

Next day started to go to vellore via hosur road.Took it very easy this time and didnt cross 100km.Brakes were slightly better cause i hardly used the brakes.Came back the same evening .Next day we plan to go to yellagiri for a drive. This time 5 people on board witht he ac on.Starting belting the car again ,this time i didnt know what was 150km ,only 160 to 185 km .All fine until there was traffic halfway and i had to break ,damn no brakes ,only 10 % pedal going in abs in kicking ,huf had enough,slowed down to 60km stopped and got an idea,lorries pour water on the brake drums to cool the off,i knew i it would screw the brakes later but who cares ,called mom and told her the problem she said do what you want dont worry we can always buy a new skoda.

I poured 4l of water and so much steam came .Drive again a voila brakes are back to 70%,this procedure i repeated every 5km until i reached hyderabad and my driver dumped the car in the service statoin.

Part 2 to be continued.

Awesome

Great report. Looking forward to read more about your ownership report of your Skoda.

Regards
      Praveer

Awesome

After sending the car three times to the service station ,they tried all the tricks and still could not fix the brakes.This car had only 50% brakes.It was kept aside and not used much except to get vegetables etc for home use.Last month at 55000km on the odo this car got a new set of brake pads and new tyres.

Brakes have improved and are good but not as good as new.Car otherwise is in brand new condition and is maintained well.Service is good,they attend and solve most of the problems fast and all that ******** about reliability is crap.

Skoda puts out about 90bhp and 21kgm torque and a top whack around 185 which i have done ,could do more but it takes lot of time after 170km.

This car costed 14.5l onroad ,every service ,skoda charges about 10000 and is quite cheap.

In bad roads and huge humps the front bumper is the 1st to hit .High speed stability is superb ,no shifting on a windy day,only this it understeers on sharp turns at speeds above 120km.

Power... more than enough ,very linear delivery

Fuel efficiency 20+ in the highway with ac and full speed ,15 in city with ac

Suspension /ride quality....ride quality is superb,it soaks potholes etc well,front gets too bouncy on state highways and country roads but not much.

Interiors ,,,,superb quality ,space is a premium

Gearshift is butter smooth and slick.

Overall feel s like the car is made from one solid piece of metal and is a joy to drive unlike the japnese washing machines.

Awesome

Excellent report buddy. I have been in love with Octavia from the day it was launched. Only the Skoda A.S.S. and the terrifying stories about the products have kept me away from Skodas.

This car costed 14.5l onroad ,every service ,skoda charges about 10000 and is quite cheap.

I find 10k a bit costely for every service. My dad's Civic ha service cost of not more than 2.5-3k.
      Respect the Mans Car and the Man will Respect you

Awesome

Thanks Akash.

10 K in the sense ,drivers at home crash the car and some bumper or something needs to be replaced.Parts are a little expensive.

Maruthi zen and scorpio cost minium 4k now days for service and skoda is in its own league and cannot be compare to that washing machine civic.

Thread Information