• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Civic clutch overhaul questions n doubts.

Mugen Fever

Awesome

Civic clutch overhaul questions n doubts.

I am planning to get the clutch changed in my civic which has done approx 45k. The symptoms are hard n squeaky clutch, reduced mileage, difficulty slotting 1st/2nd gears also slight shudder when moving from standstill.
      Now, I had asked HONDA ass n they have quoted close to 20k excluding the flywheel, which they would decide upon checking, if it requires a replcement too.
      Including flywheel the cost will be...hold your breath 30k for a clutch overhaul...ouch!

Now I checked out the aftermarket option n I have got a quote of around 6k for genuine OEM DAIKIN-Exedy clutch set(the same brand is supposedly used by Honda too) which includes clutch plate, pressure plate n release bearing.

Now, this quote is given by a very old n reputed spare parts dealer in Delhi know as Batra Auto, Ashram. I am sure most of the Delhi folks would know about him.

Now, I need advice whether to get it changed by Honda ASS or go the aftermarket route n save quite a bit of money. There is a huuge price difference otherwise I would've never considered going aftermarket.
      Since, I have never ever got any major part replaced outside of ASS in all my previous cars cause Ive never been sure n was too young to take any chances n ASS prices used to be pretty decent then.

I was also adviced by batra auto that there is no need to change the flywheel, n u can get it skimmed or re-faced n it'll be as good as new.
      I mean, he could've just said yes and made more money by selling me flywheel as well but instead he genuinely told me that it's an expensive part n there is no need to change it.

What do the experts here recommend n would the above problems be solved after the clutch change ?
      Is skimming the flywheel recommended ?
      Looking at the above problems, do u think I need master cylinder replcement too ?
      Last edited by Sanchit87; 29th Jan 2014 at 16:36.
      11' BEAT LT TCDI | Back to Stock ICE :-(

CIVIC MUGEN RR | Milano Red | TEIN SS | Lenso Raiden Project D "Spec C" | Dunlop Direzza DZ101 | Dynamat Extreme | FatMat

Everyone has regrets, make
      sure yours are more fun than
      others :D

Awesome

You can get the clutch overhaul done from outside, I don't think there is any problem in doing that. I always do this for our Octavia since Skoda's Ass is always after burning a whole in their customer's pocket(e.g., they quote an insane approx. 60k for Clutch set replacement).

AFAIK many people go for skimming of flywheel and that should be no problem, but it depends from car to car. I guess only some types of flywheels can be skimmed!

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchit87 View Post
      Is skimming the flywheel recommended ?
      If its a dual mass flywheel thats broken,skimming will not help at all. 45,000 km is way too early to wear out a clutch if used correctly. Mine will tip over 239,000 km today on the original clutch with a dual mass flywheel. I doubt that the flywheel needs to be replaced after only 45,000 km.

has left gearheads

Secret

Get it done from a local trustworthy guy shouldnt be an issue.

I am aware now

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      If its a dual mass flywheel thats broken,skimming will not help at all. 45,000 km is way too early to wear out a clutch if used correctly. Mine will tip over 239,000 km today on the original clutch with a dual mass flywheel. I doubt that the flywheel needs to be replaced after only 45,000 km.
      I think in Gurgaon's stop and go traffic it is possible that clutch wears out much earlier. If it is mostly driven inside the city then I wouldn't be surprised with the 45000 KM mark.
      2004 Bajaj Discover 125 DTSi - 26000 KM - Sold
      2012 Suzuki GS150R
      2012 Ford Figo Diesel Titanium

Mugen Fever

Awesome

Well, I too think its too early for a clutch change but then the above symptoms ive listed do indicate a requirement...no.

Well civic flywheel can be skimmed, confirmed this from batra auto itself n saw few posts on t-bhp too. Just wanted to know if it's advisable n does it cause any issue later on or not.

I too think I should get it done outside only, buy the parts from Batra Auto n then take it to a Local mechanic/garage either in Gurgaon or Delhi.

Btw parth.jain since u r from Delhi too, where do u get ur skoda's clutch from ? Any experience with batra auto ?

CIVIC MUGEN RR | Milano Red | TEIN SS | Lenso Raiden Project D "Spec C" | Dunlop Direzza DZ101 | Dynamat Extreme | FatMat

Awesome

Sanchit87, I haven't been to Batra automobiles ever. I buy parts from Rajnath Automobiles,its an importer. They have two outlets, one near mahipalpur and one in Palika Bhavan(near Hyatt Hotel). I once bought parts for engine overhaul too(Turbo, piston rings etc.)from him, all OEM parts! He stocks parts for all luzury cars.

And there is one "Khurrana Motors" in Green park. I don't know whether he stocks parts for Civic, but I buy parts for my Santro from their, he has fixed rates and parts are OEM.

Mugen Fever

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
      Sanchit87, I haven't been to Batra automobiles ever. I buy parts from Rajnath Automobiles,its an importer. They have two outlets, one near mahipalpur and one in Palika Bhavan(near Hyatt Hotel). I once bought parts for engine overhaul too(Turbo, piston rings etc.)from him, all OEM parts! He stocks parts for all luzury cars.

And there is one "Khurrana Motors" in Green park. I don't know whether he stocks parts for Civic, but I buy parts for my Santro from their, he has fixed rates and parts are OEM.
      Can u yPM me the contact details of rajnath auto as well, this way I can compare the prices with batra auto.
      Thanks

Awesome

Done Sanchit87

Mugen Fever

Awesome

PHC VALEO vs Daikin Exedy Clutch...please advice.

Getting the clutch changed In a day or two, now I have two options either daikin clutch or PHC (Valeo) from Korea.
      Now, when I searched PHC Korea, I got this website as the first search result on google - PHC VALEO
      Which is the website for PHC Valeo clutch and this link give San outline of the company n I see they are the OEM Clutch suppliers to quite a few companies including Honda, Ford, Renault, GM, fiat, Nissan among others.
      I have been advised by the workshop I am getting the clutch changed from to go for PHC over daikin as they have had complaints on Daikin being harder, the pedal feel. Looking at the traffic in NCR, I would love to have a softer pedal.

Has anyone had experience with PHC clutch and is PHC n Valeo the same ?
      Now some workshops tell me daikin as OEM to Honda, but the official PHC website states itself as the OEM clutch supplier to Honda.
      Please advice guys as I need to get this done in a day or two as I am totally confused.

Is it really necessary to get the master n slave cylinders changed when getting new clutch ? I mean that's another additional expensive of almost 8k.
      Btw, PHC is made in Korea and Daikin in Japan.
      Last edited by Sanchit87; 12th Feb 2014 at 21:05.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information