• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorable drives! and favorite road trip destinations

@ Thiruvananthapuram
      Remapped

Awesome

Re: Memorable drives!

We used to drive out in bikes and cars to have lunch 120kms away at an ordinary hotel and just drive back.
      Wow.. that sounds CrAzY!!!!
      another thing I used to do, was wait for summer showers. That would wash red mud off the hills onto the ghat roads. next day, when the sun came out and dried up all the water, there'd be a nice layer of dust and soil on the road, if we delayed going out, the traffic would blow away all that lovely dust away, so i'd bunk classes and go driving early in the morning. made for great front wheel drive drift surfaces
      I'm so glad i didnt kill myself on those outings.
      [/quote]
      Hey ripper, ditto here.. I used to do that with my suzuki samurai.. (during tht time, i cut off one block of the silencer to sound it like HELL, and heard so much abuses from the still-sleeping-neighborhoods).. hey, and you will of course remember, your footsteps in mud-red all over the college balconies... ha haa...
      Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly ...
      Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost (4000km, Golden, #Code6 #EvilSport tuned)
      Verna SX CRDI ABS (Sold)

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

2002 December

Cochin - Mangalore - Goa - Poladpur - Mahabaleshwar - Panchgani - Wai - Satara - Kolhapur - Ichalkaranji - Kolhapur - Bangalore - Coimbatore - Cochin

It started off as a trip to Kollur (Mookambika Temple), and we got back home after a week or more!

Vehicle - '02 Hyundai Accent GLX

This trip will remain in memory for a long long time. My son was 3 years old at that time and he had a great time and felt very important asking people for directions when we were unsure.

Surprisingly, we havent found the time to do such trips after we got the Safari. Most of the trips thereafter have been with the Cochin gang. They keep us fully occupied!

On the bike, the most memorable trip was the Munnar-Kodai Goat Track trip that broke our backs and our motorcycles and had us recurperating in Kodai for 3 'full' days.

All-time favourite though has to be this:

August 2005

Harare - Johannesburg - Gabarone - Capetown

Vehicle - Nissan 3.0 TD Hardbody Bakkie

1,200 miles, 5 days of motoring bliss.
      Cheers,
      Steer

Dont take yourself too seriously - nobody else does.
      Favourite set of wheels: 2010 Mongoose Tyax Comp

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Steeroid
      2002 December

Cochin - Mangalore - Goa - Poladpur - Mahabaleshwar - Panchgani - Wai - Satara - Kolhapur - Ichalkaranji - Kolhapur - Bangalore - Coimbatore - Cochin

It started off as a trip to Kollur (Mookambika Temple), and we got back home after a week or more!

Vehicle - '02 Hyundai Accent GLX
      woah- big one! and pretty impressive because it seems like a spur of the moment thing

I plan for weeks before going out with the family
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

Not aware of his status here !

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rippergeo
      woah- big one! and pretty impressive because it seems like a spur of the moment thing

I plan for weeks before going out with the family
      The spur of the moment trips are infinitely more memorable than the meticulously planned ones.
      Such Trips were, in fact was de rigueur during our college days.Some of those were really really wicked like waking up some random dudes during the wee hours after the midnight, and heading straight to Munnar. We'd reach there by the crack of dawn. .Roam around aimless during the day, and be back at College next day early morning, just in time to catch a quick forty winks b4 sitting for the semester exams!
      "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

Awesome

All the drives in the zen used to more memorable than the previous one.One that I can recollect was in 2007 .My cousin and me were supposed to take the night B7R to Mangalore from Bangalore.Just as we were abt to board the bus ,i just tell him how i feel like driving ,when i had just promised in the previous week that I would stop my compulsory weekend bangalore-mangalore-bangalore drives.

Like a true buddy ,he also agrees to a drive (his first one with me ) .He never used to believe me whenever i used to say that 5 hrs was the max that I needed to reach Mangalore if i start around 12 in the night after all the buses had left.

Initially he is reluctant to start in the night ,but i somehow convince him to agree for a 2 am late start .We even stop at a temple ,as his mom had advised him to do that after she knew that he was coming with me in the car.

2 am ...we start from bommanhalli..and he is completely sloshed on Old Monk ..and fast asleep ...in between he would wake up and tell me to be careful.645 am ,when i stop for a pit n pee stop,he asks me the time and then tells me to wake him up after we cross Shiradi ghat .I tell him ,we are near BC road which is about 20 kms from Mangalore.

he wakes up ...sees the road and rushes out of his seat and throws up everything ))))...haha ...this was a priceless moment and a very memorable drive for me .It was one of those days when the ghat was at its best .I can never forget this incident

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by satyajitshetty
      .It was one of those days when the ghat was at its best .I can never forget this incident
      That was a nice read, Shiradi Ghat is in bad shape now, right??
      Its so simple to be happy, but it is so difficult to be simple....

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Which is your favorite Road Trip Destination in India ?

Dil Chahata Hai !

Heart desires, that you once again drive to this particular place to spend your holidays.

This is a place, city, town, village, beach, forest, mountain, hill top, sand dune, island, lagoon where you feel at home. You love to drive on the road to this particular destination. You are ready to drive there even in the middle of the night, at the drop of a hat, or on urge from a friend or within.

This place has some special memories for you, you love to talk about it, share it among friends and all. You know almost every nook and corner of this place, but still you have a child like enthusiasm to go on a vacation there.

Which is this place ?

Don't say Home Sweet Home. Even it could be the one, if it is other than the place where you are currently living,

It might be the one which you have never visited, but you aspire to go !

which is the favorite road trip destination for you ?, and Why ?

Last edited by Nomad; 10th Jan 2013 at 14:25.

Secret

very nice thread. it reminds me of the conversation I was having with Ironhide.

I wish to drive from Delhi-Jammu-Srinagar-Kargil-Drass-Leh-Manali-Delhi. there is something mysterious about this route that makes me want to go on it. 1 fine day I will. Now that I'm getting my training in Cold climes, I can take the cold of Kargil and Drass..I hope.

The other trip I really want to go on is to Manas Sarovar. someday for sure.
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

Awesome

Leh Ladakh always

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

For me, my personal favourite drive (or vacation place) is NH17 (or NH66 as it is currently getting renamed as). It runs from Panvel (close to Mumbai) down till Kochi.

I have driven all through from Panvel to Bekal in many installments, but yet to drive down into Kerala. It is not the best of the roads, but holds a special place in my heart and mind. We did our first road trip along this route from Mumbai to Goa.

Some Nice places along NH17 are

* Several beaches viz Kashid, Nagaon, Alibag closer to NH17 near Panvel.
      * I had stayed once in an island in the middle of the river near Mahad, most memorable experience
      * Several Sea Forts viz Murud-Janjira, Sindudurg, Vijaydurg etc very close from NH17 in Konkan area
      * Ganpatipule, my daughter's first beach holiday destination
      * Tarkarli Beach another of our liked beaches in Konkan
      * Amboli very close to NH17
      * Goa, who does not like Goa, does it need an introduction or endorsement ?
      * Karwar, Devbag Island Resort, Dr. Tagore beach, Port, Naval Base etc
      * Ankola Temple and beaches
      * OM Beach, Paradise Beach of Gokarna
      * Murudeshwar Beach and Netrani sea adventures
      * Maravanthe - a Nature's wonder
      * My parent's place closer to Udupi
      * Udupi, Malpe, Manipal
      * Kaup Beach
      * Mangalore and beaches around it
      * Bekal Fort
      * I am sure there are several attractions along the road all till Kochi
      * Ofcourse Kochi itself is as bigger attraction as Mumbai at the other end.

I will write about the routes i want to do in other post some time later.

Last edited by Nomad; 10th Jan 2013 at 16:19.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information