• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Help regarding deciding engine swap or sell my zen!!

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Help regarding deciding engine swap or sell my zen!!

Hello guys, a small query here. I have a '99 model carb zen with 14xxxx on the odo. I was wondering if i could change my zen's 4 cyl engine to that of the new alto k10's k series 3 cyl engine. This would yield better fuel efficiency for my car and also would like to convert from carb to mpfi. I'm thinking of doing all this as I don't plan to sell the car for quite sometime now. Do you suggest in doing this sort of swap? And the most important thing is the cost factor. I'm from Nepal and here cars cost a bomb. The cheapest alto 800 costs almost 10.5 lakhs INR. So I'm planning to take it to India (which is almost 150 kms from here) and do the engine swap with old engine number stamping. Don't bother with legal issues as no one here is interested with whatever engine's the car is running with. Can I get a new alto k10 engine in around 1-1.5 lakh INR with all the ecu and fi systems? I know all this sounds ridiculous but due to high taxes here, I can't afford to buy a new car for some time atleast. Guess what a brand new alto K10 costs almost 12 lakhs INR here. So thinking of going with all the fuss.

P.S. Had posted the query in one zen engine swap thread but I saw that the thread has been last updated in 2011 so was hopeless of getting any replies in that thread. Hence, posted a new thread itself. Mods please move or merge this thread if it needs to be merged in some other existing thread.

Thanks.
      Regards,
      Shrey.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

I think this will be a waste of money if your car still runs fine. I would save the money and use it towards buying another car later. Fitting an injection engine into an old car is time consuming and expensive. You might need a new wiring loom for the ECU.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      I think this will be a waste of money if your car still runs fine. I would save the money and use it towards buying another car later. Fitting an injection engine into an old car is time consuming and expensive. You might need a new wiring loom for the ECU.
      Thanks for the reply mate. Yes I could easily pick up an esteem engine and plonk it in as it would be a direct fit in the mounting points. But for now I need something fuel efficient, thus thought of the k series engine. Just want to know whether the engine mounts of the k10 engine are the same exact as the zen's? If the mounts are same, then I'm thinking of plonking in a whole new engine (maybe used) including all the wiring, ecu, engine, gearbox etc. Let's see what others have to say to this.
      Thanks for the suggestion.
      Shrey.

Awesome

Too much hassle. The G10 is a bulletproof engine. And a classic. Just get it serviced well, and do a proper carb clean and tune up. Swapping with a K series will be a pain. If your engine is worn out, tou can try an overhaul. Or you can try the Ecco engine- it's a G series, so the mounts will be the same. And it's apparently really efficient.
      Last edited by fighterace; 26th Feb 2015 at 21:28.

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by segagt_0 View Post
      Can I get a new alto k10 engine in around 1-1.5 lakh INR with all the ecu and fi systems?
      It should be possible, and if not, you can get an entire G13 engine with harness, ECU, fuel tank and lines for much lesser. The challenge will be to find somebody to do the swap. Where are you located?

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by segagt_0 View Post
      I'm from Nepal
      Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
      Where are you located?
      Uhhh... ??
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret