• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i10 Headlamp Bulb Upgrade

not aware that he can set his status here!

Secret

Lightbulb i10 Headlamp Bulb Upgrade

I peeked under the hood of my i10 and realised that there is no direct connection to the back of the headlamp bulb. I saw that headlamp power connector which plugs into a special socket on the headlamp and then another lead running inside the lamp assy connects to the bulb. If you look at the headlamp assy, you can see that there is a cap at the back of the hadlamp bulb. So my guess is that connecting a traditional headlamp socket is not an easy thing to do here.

So has anyone upgraded their i10's headlamp bulbs to higher wattage bulbs with a relay? If so how did you go about it? Did you have to cut the cap or something to make way for the connectors? If you have any pictures of the installation it would help a lot. I want to upgrade to a higher wattage bulb, but don't want to cut anything.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Secret

Decided to have a go at the stupid headlamps once again and finally did it!! The i10 now runs with 3400 lumens (each ) provided by Hella 90/130 bulbs.

Now you might think why i chose 90/130 instead of the more obvious choice, which is Philips 100/130. The reason is 90W low beam is more than enough for my needs, i would be running on low beam for most of the time and 90W is definitely less damaging than a 100W low beam in the long run, plus i save 20W energy. 130W high beam gives me the lumens when i need it!

Hyundai manual is wrong, it says to remove the headlamps you need to undo two bolts, actually there are three bolts to be undone, one the missing bolt in the manual sits just behind the indicator bulb.

So i undid the three bolts and this time armed with more information from couple of posts at Hyundai Forums, i yanked out the headlamp in a side to side rocking motion. It finally came out after a lot of struggle. So what holds the headlamps is three bolts, clip on the bottom of the lamp and couple of legs on the outer side of the lamp unit.

As i said before the power is provided to the whole headlamp unit by a single connector. There is no separate external connection to the headlamp bulb. But what you have is a short stubby wire that runs inside of the lamp unit and connects to the bulb.

There is a cap behind the headlamp bulb, to keep out mud and dust. Believe me the wheels will splash the back of the lamp unit with nud/water through the gap in the fender apron. So you don't want to leave any holes on that cap! But without making a hole, either on the cap or on the lamp unit itself, there is no what that you can use a ceramic/bakelite holder! So hole should be made. One hole on the right side lamp unit, and two on the left lamp unit. Why two on left? One for the ceramick holder wires to pass through, and one for the stock headlamp connector wire to pass through and mate with the plug from relay kit, i didn't want both high draw wires to run together with the low draw wire. Don't make the hole larger than you need to make the wires to pass through.

To make the ceramic headlamp connector pass through the tiny hole, you need to separate the ceramic part from the clips. There is a tiny tab which locks the clip in place inside the ceramic holder. You need to press that clip and pull out the wire. After you have pulled out all three wires, pass it through the hole in the cap and put it back into the ceramic holder. Now that cap stays on the wire, it won't come off.

Now you change the headlamp bulbs, put in your favourite high wattage blinder, and place it in the headlamp's cavity on the car, but don't push it all the way in!

Now is the time to connect the relay plug to stock headlamp bulb connector. (You need to do what you have done on ceramic holder to separate the wire from plug and pass it through the second hole in the cap and connect it to the oem connector, you need not use the plug, just put it in the correct order). After that you connect the ceramic holder onto the bulb, and fix the cap back onto the headlamp unit. Like this you do the other lamp, but you need to do the relay conector thingy only on the left (car's left) lamp unit. (Why only on the left? Because battery is on that side so you place the relay there, and so you connect the relay plug on that side lamp unit. If the battery is on the right (car's right) you do it there).

There is a balck wire than comes out of the ceramic holder, it goes nowhere, you have to ground it! Now earth both wires from each on a bolt that goes into car body metal. Connect the power wire from the relay to the battery's +ve terminal. Connect the negative terminal back on to the battery. Check for smoke No smoke is all fine.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE STARTING TO WORK ON ELECTRICALS DISCONNECT ALL LEADS FROM THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL. ELSE RISK A FIRE, BURN, INJURY!!!

Now you turn on the headlamps, check high beam, low beam, indicators etc. If all works fine you may now install the lamp units properly.

If your headlamp beam is ulta ie., high on low and low on high, you need to swap out wires of the relay connector going into the oem connector. Its easy, when you look at a headlamp connector from the back (that is you can see the wires coming out), left is the ground, and top and right are for high and low beams. If your beams are ulta you need to change the top and right wires. Do this at the relay connector instead of doing it on each headlamps.

Now you turn on the headlamps, check high beam, low beam, indicators etc. If all works fine you may now install the lamp units properly.

Installation is easier than pulling it out! You have to align the headlamp clamps with the screw holes and give it a hard push, the lamp will snap back in place! If the lower part of the lamp won't sit in properly you need to again push the lamp out partially and now make the lower part of the lamp sit level with the body line and push it again. Now all will be well!

Put the bolts back on clean up the wiring and you're good to go.

Btw i didn't say anything about sealing the holes in the cap, did i? No i didn't. I did not seal it since i didn't have the right material. But i'm going to get some RTV silicone sealant and do it up. Why RTV silicone, because it is flexible, it is easy to remove if needed, and it can fill into the gaps well. Or you can even use M-Seal, but i won't want to do that since it gets real hard and removing it if needed would be a pita.

Thats it!!
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00032-20100617-1121.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	14771  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00027-20100617-0952.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	14769  

Name:	IMG00031-20100617-1051.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	14770  

Name:	IMG00026-20100617-0940.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	14768  

Name:	IMG00024-20100617-0759.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	14767  

Name:	IMG00022-20100617-0749.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	14766  

Name:	IMG00028-20100617-1010.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	14765  

Name:	IMG00023-20100617-0750.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	14763  

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Woah! Nice post.
      Its wierd, how come no one has upgraded the lights on an i10 before!
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

I tell you, very few people can document a mod like you can Shankar! This mod and the post is going to be useful for a lot of people, for a long time to come...

going to get some RTV silicone sealant and do it up. Why RTV silicone, because it is flexible, it is easy to remove if needed, and it can fill into the gaps well. Or you can even use M-Seal, but i won't want to do that since it gets real hard and removing it if needed would be a pita.
      I need some sealant at the back of my headlights, I have a few small "holes" from the HID kit installation. Please do tell us how this part is going to be done. And thanks in advance!

Secret

Louis, a few have upgraded their headlamps to higher wattage from what i've read at Tbhp, but i think they must've got it done and couldn't document the process.
      Xtreme Power and Night breaker is the easy upgrade just doesn't make sense buying at 1K plus that too something that won't last long as a normal halogen bulb. On top of that most of the dealers here at Tvm sell XtremePower at double the actual cost of the bulb (800 chillar bucks if bought from AK traders Blore), and i don't like the feeling of being cheated if i buy it at 1k plus. I had once picked up a pair of Xtreme Power for 800bucks in Tvm, that was from a regular spares shop not any fancy accessory joint. Now that shop don't stock it.

Thanks Tadu! Btw what kind of hole is it that you want to seal? Permanent? If yes use MSeal or Araldite depending on the sign. If temporary use RTV sealant like Anabond 666.

I just sealed the holes in the cap, i used Anabond RTV sealant which is actually a silicone gasket material which i have extensively used in my Bike DIY days. I bought the Anabond white RTV sealant and put it over the hole and the wires. It sets in couple of hours to form a thick but flexible seal. It should hold good.

Again had to pull out the head lamp unit to do this thing. I fixed the headlamps back and switched on the light, only to find that left headlamp is emitting a feeble glow...i was thinking what went wrong when suddenly it struck me that i must not have tightened the bolt where the ground wire is clamped. Opened the hood and it was right indeed, i forgot to tighten the ground bolt (i had loosened it to take out the lamp), i tightened it and now all is well!

Will put up the pics later!

Super Moderator

Awesome

Nice DIY. The write-up is kickass
      Feb 1997 Bajaj KB125 RTZ 49K km
      Mar 2003 Tata Indica V2 LSi 130K km
      Jan 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 148K km

Now aware!

Awesome

Was looking at the same change for a colleague's i10; didn't get time check and yesterday he finally went in for Philips extreme power!

Thanks for the document, SupaCrank!

Really long drive ahead. may
      need a car change!!

Awesome

Nice write up and smartly documented..

BTW where did u buy the Hella bulbs..

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by hrag View Post
      Nice DIY. The write-up is kickass
      Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
      Was looking at the same change for a colleague's i10; didn't get time check and yesterday he finally went in for Philips extreme power!

Thanks for the document, SupaCrank!
      Quote Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
      Nice write up and smartly documented..

BTW where did u buy the Hella bulbs..
      Thanks Hrishi, Wheels and Jithu
      Jithu, i got the bulbs from US (Amazon) couldn't find it here n Tvm, but was available in Blore a while ago, not sure about now. Bulb is made in India I knew that before i bought it.

Thanks Tadu! Btw what kind of hole is it that you want to seal? Permanent? If yes use MSeal or Araldite depending on the sign. If temporary use RTV sealant like Anabond 666.
      Oops.. "Size" i meant. A case of involuntary typing

Here are the pics of the silicone sealant job, did it last evening. Sorry for the pic quality, cell phone pics.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00037-20100618-1905.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	14816  

Name:	IMG00034-20100618-1859.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	14817  

Awesome

nice writeup sankar. is the sealant job flawless? i mean is there any mist formation like old palio headlamps? i would definitely want to upgrade the bulbs on my i10's headlamp. but i'm not a DIY guy. do you think local workshop guys can pull it off without any trouble? what i'm worried about is mist formation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information