• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-septic cleaning of car interiors

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

Anti-septic cleaning of car interiors

#detailing , Also tagging some detailers kmoh, Notorious, baranjil, keerthi.

Guys, I have a close friend whose father is going to undergo a major surgery soon, post which he will be required to stay at home for 1 month. His activity and exposure to other humans/animals will be severely restricted. However after one month he will be slowly allowed to interact with other people / go out in cars etc. Slowly and steadily (and hopefully if things go smoothly), he will be resuming normal life.

Now, here's the thing, I require help to clean his car's interiors with antiseptics etc. so as to minimize the risk of infection while he travels (to his doctor in the initial months).

I am searching the internet since 2 days, and have become none the wiser. I have already inquired with the doctor and noted down his points.:

- routinely used anti-septics are dettol/savlon.
      - routinely used materials for wound care are spirit (or 90-95% ethyl or iso-propyl alcohol).
      - hydrogen peroxide is also used for wound care (the concentrations differ, but for disinfection it's roughly around 3-6%)
      - and of course betadine solution (5-10% generally).

Now here's the dilemma: I don't know what will be the effect of the above mentioned materials on leather of the car. I am pretty sure betadine stains the leather and carpets. Rest, I have no clue.

Can anybody help me out how to proceed with the cleaning?

Please note that the aim to disinfect the car's interiors as much as possible with little damage to the leather. A little bad odour is OK so long as the job is done. Any specific detailing products which can help?

Also, I will be taking special care so as to cover the seats with auto-claved clothes just as a extra precaution. Anything else I need to keep in mind?

What all to be used, and how to be used. Any other pointers are also welcome

driveclean.in

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
      clean his car's interiors with antiseptics
      My take will be,

* APC cleaning . Mix APC 1:5 with distilled water and clean the seat, carpet, plastics and don't forget the roof.
      Just spray, leave it for 2 to 5 mins and wipe off with damp MF towel
      AFAIK, Scholls APC is better for interiors.

* Wipe off everything with IPA 1:5

* Clean AC filters and AC vents. 3M or OWS AC vent foam cleaner will do the job. This is a must where you'll get all infections.

* Apply any mild protectant for the leather seats. PERL, Megs.

* Try to put some fabric on the seat covers and it will be easy to wash frequently.

A well oiled machine

Awesome

He is better off plying in an ambulance until his immunity stabilizes.
      FiiO X7 Mark II - HELIX DSP PRO MK2 - TRU Billet v2 B41-S - MOREL Elate Ti 602 - MOREL Ultimo Ti 102

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      He is better off plying in an ambulance until his immunity stabilizes
      This option was ruled out first. Even the good and premium ambulances aren't exactly cleaned well (this I can personally vouch for). Are there specific ambulances which market themselves for plying immunocompromised patients? If so, then I am not aware of those, and can look into it.

Visit
      www.ultimatedetailerz.com

Awesome

Amway has a product called Pursue- this is a disinfectant and after applying the surface gets rid of any bacteria, germs etc. Its even used in Hospitals and its very effective. You can explore that, spray on post cleaning the surface with cleaners and then leave it to air dry. Amway India : Pursue 500ml

Do check this, i am not sure about using it on leather, but i do not think it will cause any harm as its for industrial use as well as in gyms etc. However you can check more.
      If you are looking at high quality leather/interior cleaning, nothing beats the Ultima Interior Shampoo gel- its a premium cleaner and for all surfaces, i use that when i have a special need
      Read this with a disclaimer that i sell this product also, however i am certain there is nothing in this category which is a dedicated interior cleaner of this quality.
      www.ultimatedetailerz.com
      www.facebook.com/ultimatedetailerz
      Our Online Store : store.ultimatedetailerz.com

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
      I have a close friend whose father is going to undergo a major surgery soon, post which he will be required to stay at home for 1 month. His activity and exposure to other humans/animals will be severely restricted.

Not clear whether you want a protection from air borne infection or other. As far as car cabin environment is concerned, chances are that AC system should be the first to look at!

First and best is to clean it by operating on heater mode frequently for couple of days.

Once, I have seen 3M people using some foam like substance for AC cleaning and also some other for car interiors -roof, dash, seat fabrics, etc for a Volvo car. Can't remember a product name but I think it was called an some AC Neutralizer.

EDIT : Here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by baranjil View Post
      * Clean AC filters and AC vents. 3M or OWS AC vent foam cleaner will do the job. This is a must where you'll get all infections.

May be it is the same or something like -AC Cleaner. Not sure whether this is just a cosmetic treatment or "truely medical"!

Also check this You Tube video if it can help to find out the solution.

Few more links, just for info -

DrivePur Automotive Antibacterial Protection

Air Conditioning Cleaners and Deodorisers

Finally,

Dettol (diluted in water) is the best anti-germ cleaner for seat covers (leather/art leather), dash, car trims, etc. Alumen is also an effective alternative.

And why not use the same Ayurvedic treatment, we Indian use for newly born baby and mother, a famous smoke treatment! No doubt that it is effective in cleansing air in the closed room/cabin.

Neem leaves are also very effective in preventing infections. Many researches says that. Remember our child hood, we used it on bed, in hot water for a bath, etc. It is also used in smoke treatment. Using boiled water (with neem leaves) to clean the trims, seat covers will help if you don't find any "true" medical treatment.

Consult any old Indian Grandma!

Don't ignore effectiveness of Indian medicines such as Tulsi, Turmeric, Camphor, etc !

EDIT :

Quote Originally Posted by baranjil View Post
      * Apply any mild protectant for the leather seats. PERL, Megs.
      Not sure how effective it is medically! Regular cleaning with IPA/Spirit or Alumen water is better.
      Last edited by Dev11; 9th Jul 2014 at 11:41.

driveclean.in

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
      Not sure whether this is just a cosmetic treatment or "truely medical"!
      Its not just cosmetic. The OWS kills the fungus, germs which are inside the AC vents. Please check the link OWS Products - Product Details and I can vouch its credibility(I am using it)

driveclean.in

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
      Not sure how effective it is medically! Regular cleaning with IPA/Spirit or Alumen water is better.
      Its not medically helpful. Its just keep the leather supple from harsh chemicals which we use for cleaning.

Detailing on my mind..

Awesome

I have a different opinion here,
      I think just by sitting and traveling in an air-conditioned car he can't be at risk much more than he is at home/doctor's clinic/ taking a walk in the garden etc. Off-course the car has to be personal, not a taxi where you cannot guarantee basic hygiene also. IMHO please ask your friend to get it cleaned using normal procedure and do not worry too much about making it completely germ free (he can use germ-kill treatment from 3M and other detailers also where they use steam to clean the interior), let his father use a good hand-sanitizer whenever he comes out and touches outside objects and If he is worried about air-borne infections, can use a mask.
      The most important part of the healing process during post-op period is treating the patient as normally as possible, believe me the mind needs to heal first, body will definitely follow.
      Sorry if i've over stepped here, I've been through similar situation, hence the advice.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ssaurabh17 View Post
      I have a different opinion here,
      I think just by sitting and traveling in an air-conditioned car he can't be at risk much more than he is at home/doctor's clinic/ taking a walk in the garden etc. Off-course the car has to be personal, not a taxi where you cannot guarantee basic hygiene also. IMHO please ask your friend to get it cleaned using normal procedure and do not worry too much about making it completely germ free (he can use germ-kill treatment from 3M and other detailers also where they use steam to clean the interior), let his father use a good hand-sanitizer whenever he comes out and touches outside objects and If he is worried about air-borne infections, can use a mask.
      The most important part of the healing process during post-op period is treating the patient as normally as possible, believe me the mind needs to heal first, body will definitely follow.
      Sorry if i've over stepped here, I've been through similar situation, hence the advice.
      I am not a medical expert, and I somehow agree with ssaurabh17.
      Simple_car
      Don't go overboard while using all the chemicals to cleanse the car interiors. Sometimes all these chemicals in high concentrations can be more dangerous than the bacteria/fungi it is intended to kill. If you use any such chemicals, make sure that it is done atleast a day or couple of days before he uses the car. Better use heater to kill AC bacteria, diluted dettol (savlon might leave its color) to wipe the seat, dash, doors etc.

It would be helpful if any information on the kind of surgery that he would be undergoing can be shared here. There are some doctors on board the GH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information