Tools :

• Screwdriver
      • Sharp Stanley knife / hack saw
      • Straight edge
      • Hot Air Gun
      • 2 Straight pieces of wood
      • Couple of 'C' clamps

Process :

The Linea's HU is wedged between the AC Vents on top and the ACC controls in the bottom. It is a three piece construction and there is a thin gap on the top and bottom of the HU - marked in the red rectangles

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HU.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	839.1 KB 
ID:	184895

We will need to cut the ABS plastic to the desired width and height, clamp it between the wooden pieces using the C clamps, heat with the hot air gun and bend it to 90 degrees. When done on both ends, we will have what looks like a 'C' channel. The most important measurement is between the top bend and the bottom bend. This must be equal to the distance between the top gap and the bottom gap of the HU. Once this is done, we will need to bend a couple of degrees more, so that when the edges are aligned and pushed into the gaps, they will expand a bit and grip the HU fascia due to the slightly elastic nature of ABS. Now we will bend one more piece of ABS, only on one edge, to support the base of the tablet. Glue both pieces together.

Now cut a slot on the top bend of the 'C' shaped pieces. Cut two more long strips of ABS, bend the edges of one to form a channel, and trim the other piece, so they will slide into each other. Glue this channel inside the bigger 'C' we earlier made. Cut a long groove into the sliding piece. Then bend the top of the sliding piece to grip the top of the tablet. Fix the thumb screw through the long groove into the body of the clamp.Now use the 4 small screws to hold everything together, so we do not depend just on the glue to hold it together. Cut the rubber sheet to size and glue to the front of the clamp to cover all areas that will contact the tablet. Cover up the exposed areas of ABS with Vinyl. I added a colour laser printer logo, just for kicks

Sadly, I do not have pictures of the individual pieces. Hope the explanation is clear. These are the pictures I have and in conjunction with the write-up, hope fully makes sense.

Name:  Clamp1.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  Clamp2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  Clamp3.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  Clamp4.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  Clamp5.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  21.8 KB

The tablet pictured is an Ainol Novo Elf II. With the help of an external receiver, it doubles up as a GPS navigator. The cable seen in the picture is an USB OTG cable and is attached to a BT dongle, hidden behind the tablet. DC in is the same size as that of the old Nokia charger and the same can be used to charge the tablet. With a BT ELM 327 Dongle and Torque Pro, it allows monitoring the engine performance as well. The tablet does support an external SD card, runs Android JB Cyanogen Mod 10 and can play audio and video, but sadly the T-Jet does not have Aux-In.

Thanks for reading

Rajan
      Last edited by Rengarajan B; 10th Jul 2014 at 20:29.

Ford Fiesta TDCI
      hi!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Rengarajan B View Post
      This thread is dedicated to WildWeasel
      - Like this!

Nice DIY! It looks so original, professional and factory thing like!! I do not understand how you made the upper part of the holder since it has to move up and down and how it still holds firmly.

Last week I modified my phone holder into tab holder. I am not that satisfied but it holds well onto the windshield - purpose solved but can be kept only horizontally.

DIY nut

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by raj_hyd View Post
      - Like this!

Nice DIY! It looks so original, professional and factory thing like!! I do not understand how you made the upper part of the holder since it has to move up and down and how it still holds firmly.
      Thank you raj_hyd. This was something I did a while back and sadly did not take pictures of each step. Posted here, as requested by WildWeasel. Here is a short video I just shot. Hopefully, this explains how this is designed and how it works.

Thanks,
      Rajan
      Last edited by Rengarajan B; 11th Jul 2014 at 20:16.

Ford Fiesta TDCI
      hi!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Rengarajan B View Post
      Hopefully, this explains how this is designed and how it works.
      Wow, its great! I understand it well now, I thought you kept some spring to hold the upper clamp firm, now I can see the screw system and this is undoubtedly strong. Good job!!!

Thread Information