• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tata Zest initial expressions

The Terminator

Awesome

Tata Zest initial expressions

Had an opportunity to test drive Zest for few kilometres. My initial expressions are as follows.

* Exterior build quality is really good. Panel gaps are even. Paint quality is top notch. Everything felt solidly built. Way better than those Japanese cars and Maruti.
      * Ground clearance is really good. This car would not touch road humps in any case. 175mm for petrol, 165mm diesel. Car looks like it has got some after market modification which has increased GC.
      *Boot integration is way better than Dzire. Loading lip is quite high. Should not be a problem unless you carry heavy weight items.

* Display car was a diesel and test drive car was petrol. Both had same alloy wheel design.
      * AMT was not on display. Sales girl explained explained features highlighting ConnectNext music system and Revotron petrol, safety features. Not even a single word about AMT version. It's one of the major talking points of Zest and they are not highlighting it.
      * LED tail lamps look classy. Might be too bright for few people during night.

*Interiors are put together well. Almost in Hyundai levels. Has all bells and whistles people will ever need. Steering height adjustment lever is solidly built. Read few reviews saying that it would not last more than a year. But that's not the case.
      *Beige fabric on door pad is a really bad idea, from maintenance/detailing prospective. Black seats are welcome move.
      * Not spacious as Vista/Manza,especially in the back seat. But much more spacious than Dzire, Xcent. It was hot like mid summer when did test drive in Mangalore. A/C cooled down entire cabin in no time.

*The infotainment system and audio quality is the best in sub 10L segment. No distortion at any volume. It's fast and responsive like a phone. Has got settings for stuff like car auto lock, follow me lamps and others.
      *Steering is small and light. Weighs up confidently as speeds increase. Feedback is good. Gearbox is precise but a bit hard for my liking. Maybe because it was a new car with around 600KMs on ODO.
      *Cabin is like a tomb. Everything is in it's usual place. NVH levels are really really good. Engine noise is is very less even from outside.

* Couldn't feel turbo lag. Power delivery is flat and linear. Never expect diesel turbo like kick. Power delivery is the best on a sub 4m petrol sedan.
      *3 driving modes really work. Even a guy completely new to cars was able notice difference in the way car behaved in Eco, City, Sports mode.
      *No place to keep normal 1L bottles. Buying something to keep normal size bottles is a must. Tata should have provided bottle holders.

Conclusion- This is the best sub 4m petrol sedan out there as of now. Top end XT is available for around Rs.7.3-7.4L, diesel for around Rs.8.6L. At this price, it's a steal.

No comments on diesel variant since I haven't driven it.

Attaching few photos from iPhone. Sorry for the quality.

Rabid Dog Club - Bite First, Bark Later.

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Looks Like TATA has really rolled out a good car this time, hopefully they will be able to garner sales...
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

A well oiled machine

Awesome

I echo the same Skynet. I had an opportunity to checkout the car up close. The car looked very impressive inside out. But didn't TD. Well done Tata.
      FiiO X7 Mark II - HELIX DSP PRO MK2 - TRU Billet v2 B41-S - MOREL Elate Ti 602 - MOREL Ultimo Ti 102

Gearhead

Hungry

Zest is not posing great challenge only to sub 4m sedans, with its competitive pricing Zest will attract many potential B+ hatchback customers too. If Tata can price Bolt in similar manner, they could hope to regain 3rd position. The plan of launching sedan first followed by hatchback later is sound too. It is easy to make inroads into the less crowded sub 4m sedan segment rather than the highly competitive hatchback segment. If Zest can establish itself it would rub some positive effect/notion in Bolt too.
      Last edited by sanguine; 15th Aug 2014 at 22:14.

Tamizh

Awesome

Umm. This is interesting. From the looks of it, it doesn't carry much of the aged and stupid 'Indi' ca, go, loo line of design.
      The interior is decent. No gimmicks. Has the pricing been announces as yet ?

hanging tight :/

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
      Has the pricing been announces as yet
      Yes and it is priced really well

https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?...l=1#post468787
      Ghost Rider is Riding with the Potholes in Bangalore ..... :-[

"Cogito Ergo Sum"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
      LED tail lamps look classy. Might be too bright for few people during night.
      What about the projector HL's? Is it halogen only or HID capable?

The Terminator

Awesome

Sorry. I am not sure of HID compatibility. Stock ones are halogens I believe. Headlights work in the same way as Manza. Projectors for low beam only and projector+ normal light for high beam.

You call, I don't
      respond..NEUTRAL ! I call, you
      don't respond..YOU DIE !!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
      3 driving modes really work. Even a guy completely new to cars was able notice difference in the way car behaved in Eco, City, Sports mode.
      Hmm...sports mode - Not sure if you drove in less traffic where you can push the throttle. Any idea on how it handles - corners ?

On a lighter note - 'Revotron' sounded like some cough syrup

The Terminator

Awesome

I drove in the Mangalore-Udupi highway. No idea about cornering.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information