• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Mahindra & Honda Join Indian Leisure Boating Industry

Awesome

Mahindra & Honda Join Indian Leisure Boating Industry

Some of the automobile manufacturers of India have now decided to join leisure boating industry. This is bound to boost marine tourism and develop waterways in India.

Auto major Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) announced their plans to join leisure boating industry by launching fibreglass power boats, cabin cruisers and catamarans with brand name “Mahindra Odyssea”. Also Honda through its Indian subsidiary Honda Siel India (HSIL), is planning to enter into the Indian boat manufacturing market and is conducting feasibility studies for the purpose.
      Some of the interesting features of Mahindra Odyssea are:

• to be manufactured by a joint venture company called Mahindra Ocean Blue, in which M&M will hold 51% stake and Ocean Blue will hold the remaining stake.
      • all products will match international quality standards, carry the international CE certification and will be competitively priced.
      • power boats will offer combination of style, luxury and comfort to meet the needs of both the first-time boaters and boating enthusiasts.
      • in the first phase boats of 20 to 40 feet size will be initially built at existing Mahindra factories, but a dedicated facility would be set up in due course.
      • in the next phase, cabin cruisers and catamarans would be manufactured.
      • will be initially powered by Evinrude engines of U.S. and later will be replaced with M&M’s own engines.

• the target customers are expected to be
        • individual and institutional corporate clients from Cochin, Mumbai and Goa.
        • paramilitary and defence forces.
        • international customers.

Name:  Mahindra_Odyssea_22.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  89.4 KB
      • Mahindra Odyssea 22 and Mahindra Odyssea 33

• both the 22 ft and 33 ft power boats will be available with varying fit-out levels to suit individual customer requirements.
        • while the initial product launch is supported by a range of Evinrude engine options, the products may also be fitted with alternate engines based on customer preferences. The engine prices will start at INR 3.50 lakh.
        • both the boats will have an advanced hybrid trihedral hull for a stable, smooth, spacious and fuel efficient ride.
        • the tunnels on either side aerate the water and the resulting air pocket provides enhanced lift and aerodynamics which enable the boat to achieve its plane more easily. This increases the speed along with greater fuel efficiency.
        • trihedrals of this design also result in a wider hull ensuring greater stability and maneuverability.
        • both fibreglass power boats were unveiled at Mumbai International Boat Show on February 19.
        • prices will begin from INR 9.90 lakh. Currently, an imported power boat of 33 feet retails around INR 70 lakh.

• Mahindra Odyssea 22:
        • sports a sleek design and enhanced maneuverability.
        • the helm station is easy to maintain and features an ergonomically designed center console which can be equipped with stereo and navigation electronics.
        • the boat also features wide and comfortable bench style seats with easy access to safety equipment and recreational essentials.
        • ergonomic helm seats can accommodate a ‘cool box’ underneath, as well as the boat’s anchor.

Name:  Mahindra_Odyssea_33.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  39.8 KB
      • Mahindra Odyssea 33:
        • is the ultimate lifestyle experience.
        • with luxurious interiors and abundant space, the 33 is in a class of its own.
        • features an ergonomic, practical, stylish and state-of-the-art helm station.
        • plush upholstery ensures that passengers can ride in comfort, while abundant storage in the bow and aft area allows you to stay well-stocked throughout your voyage.
        • the aft seating and cockpit table are perfect for a family dinner, while the elegant bar adds a touch of class.
        • the 33 also has an enclosed, spacious and fully equipped washroom with toilet.
        • a sleek targa offers ample sun protection.

• offers a comprehensive service and support package:
        • all customers will be assisted to commission, operate and maintain their boats to avoid dealings with multiple service providers.
        • on behalf of customers, liaise with the engine manufacturer for any warranty-related services or repairs.
        • other services include boat registration and insurance, mooring arrangements, providing trained crew, routine maintenance including engine maintenance, launching the boat in water and anti-fouling treatment.
        • will also top up fuel and water as required, undertake cleaning and conservancy services and facilitate dry docking during the monsoon.

• each boat will be accompanied by exceptional service standards along with unique financing options.

Source : www.mahindra.com
      Last edited by Nithin; 13th Jul 2010 at 01:11.
      2006 May, Safari Dicor 3.0 (88,500 Kms)
      1985 Mar, Suzuki SS80 DX (47,500 Kms)

2001, MM550 XD
      1950, Land Rover Series 1

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Good news! 9.9 lacs is well within reach. Last time I mentioned a boat and its price tag, my wife laughed her head off. I can start dreaming again now.
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

Awesome

Hey Doc,

You Planning to get one ?
      2006 May, Safari Dicor 3.0 (88,500 Kms)
      1985 Mar, Suzuki SS80 DX (47,500 Kms)

2001, MM550 XD
      1950, Land Rover Series 1

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Well, anything can be planned!

Secret

this definitely is good news but then, I don't see too many of these being sold. there are a ltd few who would venture out but then thats where it'll stop. its not expensive at 9.9 L you may say. Let me explain. boats are expensive to maintain. they need to be in dry docks if not used over a period of time. we don't have any dry docks anywhere. in all probability, they'll be water all the time in some Marina (docks). Since these are luxury boats, they can get spoilt due to weathering. for that , it needs to be in a covered parking too. now you see where all it leads to.
      Just for these reasons, the americans tow their boats wherever they want to go.
      It was funny when I opened a Boat magazine and found only articles on pickup trucks. We are not there yet.

these are solely my views.
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

Caffeine Addict

Awesome

Whats the legality on boats ? Can we just plonk them in any body of water and go for a spin ?

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      Well, anything can be planned!
      I am also a planner.

Doc, when you can, please figure out where to dock these in cochin, who watches them over, what do they charge etc. The question in my mind is, is this something mere mortals can afford to maintain, or is this just for them millionaires.

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Will ask around about the marina.
      Dry dock can be an issue. I wasnt aware that it was a necessity. Covered docking is not an issue.
      For someone based in cochin, using the boat every weekend is not a problem.
      Right now, i'm limiting myself to a kayak.

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

tadukuttan:
      The marina is up and running in cochin. 40rs per foot of yatch length per day for yatchs owned by indians.50 for foreign yatchs. Works out to 1200rs per day for a 30 foot yatch. Water and electricity extra. Will work out only for visitors. Not for regular mooring.
      So if you're from some other coastal city, it'll be easy to sail down to cochin and stay in a safe, convenient place.
      Of course, you'll need a place to moor it when at home. Not a big deal if you have a waterfront property.
      Have not checked about the requirement of a dry dock yet.
      The marina is being run by the same guys who are in JV with mahindra (ocean blue)
      Looks like they're serious about the whole business.

Secret

whats the update on this?

in the meanwhile, this is my house owners ski-boat.
      its an '86 model with mercury marine engine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0931.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	926.5 KB 
ID:	22100

Name:	IMG_0932.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	22085

Name:	IMG_0937.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	803.8 KB 
ID:	22086

Name:	IMG_0939.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	22087

Name:	IMG_0930.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	22088

Name:	IMG_0936.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	22089

Name:	IMG_0934.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	22090

Name:	IMG_0943.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	22091

Name:	IMG_0944.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1,021.5 KB 
ID:	22092

Name:	IMG_0942.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	901.4 KB 
ID:	22093

Name:	IMG_0933.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	22094

Name:	IMG_0929.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	997.6 KB 
ID:	22095

Name:	IMG_0941.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	822.9 KB 
ID:	22096

Name:	IMG_0938.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	22097

Name:	IMG_0928.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	962.0 KB 
ID:	22098

Name:	IMG_0940.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	711.9 KB 
ID:	22099

Name:	IMG_0935.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	930.0 KB 
ID:	22084
      Last edited by avinash; 10th Oct 2010 at 23:01.
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

Thread Information