• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Being Road Safe With Bixenon headlamps on a Scorpio!

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Cool Being Road Safe With Bixenon headlamps on a Scorpio!

Hi guys! I recently purchased a Morimoto D2S 3.0 retrofit kit from TRS ofc and heres a brief guide on how to get it up and running with the stock h4 setup like in Mahindra Scorpio.

Heres a link to the exact product from TRS: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...3-kit-d2s.html
      Shipping method used was USPS Expedited and took 2 weeks to arrive in India. No customs delays whatsoever and no duty required.

Lets get started. As you can see the product link we make sure we have all items first.

1. First I suggest you wire up the Morimoto Bixenon Controller. This will help us test everything before we install them. So go ahead and connect them up as follows: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/diy...ess-guide.html
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0892.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	932.4 KB 
ID:	192027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0890.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	192028

Make sure you set up the grounds properly. Use the factory set grounds. Remove the nut and put your ground along with em as shown in the picture : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0893.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	651.3 KB 
ID:	192029

You will also need to set up your highbeam connectors on the projector. Connect the pigtails into the connector provided and the other end into the the solenoid's socket. You can test its working by using a 9v battery. If u get it to work fine for abt 50 times now, its highly likely that they will never have a problem ever again.

2. Once you connect your controller, hook em up to one ballast and bulb at a time and check its working. Also connect your projectors one at a time and check its working too, especially the high beam solenoid mechanism.

3. Once its all good, time to set up the thing. Start by removing the headlights from their socket. Its held together by 4 screws, 2 on top and 2 at the bottom. Disconnect the H4 connection, the indicator connection, parking light connection and leveling motor connection from behind. Remove the H4 bulb, unscrew its holders, and remove the metal cap. You won't be needing those again. Now you have a problem.... The projectors originally come with a hexagonal tightening nut which will not go thru all the way due to the high rising screw holding platform behind the reflector! You will need to either ask TRS specifically for a circular tightening ring OR like I myself had to do, use an axo blade to cut thru the root of the platform. Its not hard. Just takes a bit of time and effort. Use a flexible blade and saw thru it near the root. Once you done that its good to be opened up. You can find numerous reference on youtube on how to heat up and open your headlights. Its not hard at all but you may need some help. Once you have opened em up, clean up the reflectors and paint it black if you like ( I haven't done that). Go ahead unscrew the nuts from the projector and put it through the hole on the reflector, tighten it from behind. Again we have a problem. The reflectors on the Mahindra Scorpio doesn't come with the 3 bevel spots for holding the h4 bulb aligned correctly upright. You would have noticed that you have a star shaped metal ring with 3 protruding bits on the back of your projector along with the rest of the rings. These are originally supposed to go onto those slots at the back of the reflector, but in our case we can't use them coz the slots are tilted to the right. So we will have to exclude these rings from the install. Instead we rely on proper tightening and some setting cement, to hold the projector perfectly aligned. So set em up, tighten it down and the next problem arises. You will notice the the weight of the projector would result in the beam being positioned too low. So youll have to raise the bottom of the reflector to compensate. I did this by stuffing the free space under the reflector bowl with some cardboard pieces to bring the cut off line high enough. Ill leave the beam alignment to your wisdom and interest. Once you done put on the shrouds before you take em back to the vehicle to test.

4. Now that we have set up the projectors, its time to wire em up back onto the car. Do not glue on the lid yet! Make sure the projectors are firmly fixed and aligned properly. You can make it tighter by pushing em into the reflector bowl while tightening. This will cause the plastic washer to compress a lil bit giving that additional tightening space.

When all alignment is done, the finished beams should look something like this :

Name:	IMAG0909.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	686.6 KB 
ID:	192030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0910.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	684.8 KB 
ID:	192031

5. Once you are happy, remove em from the socket and seal them with the plastic lid. Add some additional butyl glue if you need to.

6. Now set em aside. Go to your vehicle. Time connect up everything. Connect your ballasts, to the proper connectors from the bi-xenon controller, (it has a tag guiding you on it). When you bring the wire from the battery side to the driver side, make sure you pay attention to its route. You don't want the wire dropping onto the radiator fan! Tape it if you have to.

Name:	IMAG0899.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	192032

7. Now connect the headlights back on, plug in the wires you disconnected before except the leveling motor ones. The reason is that for your manual alignment to work, you will have had to raise the bottom of the reflector much higher than the highest point capable by the motor. So its simple well beyond its reach now so just don't use it. Connect your ballast output to your bulb, secure your ballasts and other loose wiring and hook up your high beam connections.

8. Final test run. Go hop in your car turn it on and run the lights. Play with the high beams for a bit too. If all is good, do a big sigh of relief, pat your self on the back and put on a big smile knowing that once again TRS has proven themselves to be the best in the world for your wild retrofit dreams!! .

Some more pics attached to get you inspired and running. I haven't faced any problems so far and I am as satisfied with TRS as a customer could possibly be. )

MORE PICS: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0878.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	747.6 KB 
ID:	192033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0880.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	953.4 KB 
ID:	192034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0889.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	192035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0903.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	192036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0862.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	558.7 KB 
ID:	192037

Note: Any discolouration on the lights, i.e uneven colour temperatures etc will disappear within the first 40hrs of run time. Cheers all!! Also please make sure your alignment of the cut off shield projection is roadsafe for opposing drivers. Infact you can get them checked for peace of mind with the local authorities like I did.

If any one needs any more help pls let me know though replies! I hope this helps a lot of you out there! <3

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

Whoa double thumbs up for such detailed guide..
      I always had this doubt: what happens to headlight leveler after such moods.. Does it move the reflector housing!? Can you still control the beam throw with the rotory control from the cabin!?
      Last edited by bhpistorqintorpm; 17th Sep 2014 at 12:16.

Awesome

Hey thx

Quote Originally Posted by bhpistorqintorpm View Post
      Whoa double thumbs up for such detailed guide..
      I always had this doubt: what happens to headlight leveler after such moods.. Does it move the reflector housing!? Can you still control the beam throw with the rotory control from the cabin!?
      No because like I said the reflector housing has to be raised so much that I no longer is within the limits of the motor. So I have simply abandoned the motor and has manually set it at a fixed level by keeping some thermocole and some cardboard behind the reflector housing to secure the alignment. So yea the motor and it's controls are useless.

Awesome

awesome work !! which city are you from ?

Thread Information