• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Diesel Cars expensive to maintain ?... why ?

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Are Diesel Cars expensive to maintain ?... why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid S View Post
      Diesel can be a little more to maintain, But u get a lot better efficiency.
      Tell me. What makes a diesel more to maintain? Injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, oil and filter. All these parts are also found in the petrol engine. In the 60s and 70s they bought petrol cars because diesels were very 'expensive' to maintain. Those days petrol cars did not have a fuel filter and diesel cars did.
      Petrol car have spark plugs that should be replaced.
      A friend of mine in Singapore bought a car this summer. He wanted as petrol car because diesels were more expensive to maintain. He was told the intercooler could break down and expensive to replace.
      My diesel today has certainly been much cheaper to maintain than my old car of the same kind with a petrol engine.
      Last edited by Nomad; 26th Oct 2014 at 18:12.

ironically a remapped tdi is
      faster than the next segment
      tdi at lesser price.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      Tell me. What makes a diesel more to maintain?
      even i wonder the same. when fuels prices are, petrol-70 and diesel- 60...people should not worry much unless they much too many miles and hence go for diesel.

apart from turbo, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler,... all is same in cars... people forget about suspension works which come up easily on bad roads here.
      Why do people post I want the best for my car... When there isn't anything that is the best on the car to begin with.

Turbo boost tearing roads
      apart.

Awesome

legendracer , Indian u r fairly right when u calculate maintaining a diesel car and petrol car, its one and the same WHEN U CONSIDER fuel as well. Here in India its like when you pay around 2-3k extra to service a diesel car. But the same money u save while servicing a petrol car so you get almost a tank of Petrol. Fact is its the cost of spares that fluctuate. Dealerships come up with "strict company scheduled parts replacements" and charge high bills in case of these luxury cars. Starting from Skoda

Parts like, Injectors in petrol and diesel are different and a lot different.
      One such type which Petrol cars, such as everyday MPFIs, use (the most common ones). And then there are Fuel Stratified Injection (Turbocharged engines) Costlier injectors. (Different manufacturers different terminologies)

In Diesel engines the types of injectors are Solenoid type , Piezoelectric injectors etc. So with the the types of Fuel, as different levels carbon deposits in Diesel etc, the filters change, The pumps change etc. The parts are different as the functionality and mechanism change.

Well we went a little off topic so lets focus on Jeanne's decision making process.
      Last edited by Sid S; 26th Oct 2014 at 09:16.
      '02 Maruti Zen Lxi MPFI
      '08 Renault Logan GLX 1.4
      '12 SKODA RAPID TDI Elegance

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Well we went a little off topic so lets focus on Jeanne's decision making process.
      When a person wants to buy a car and she is told diesels are more expensive to maintain, it is surely on topic. From what I understand from this forum, cars are changed more often. I have seen one forum member with a car that has done over 100,000 km.
      My diesel has passed 250,000 kilometers and engine maintenance has been the normal oil and filter change at 15,000, timing belt service every 100,000 km and diesel filter at 60,000. I have cleaned my intake manifold once though it was not needed. Had this been a petrol car there would have been an extra cost of 5 sets of spark plugs.
      This car runs without injector cleaners or other snake oil. If I had to drive a long trip of 5000 km tomorrow, I would just check the oil, get into the car and drive without any second thoughts about reliability of the car.
      I was at a VW meet a few weeks ago and out of about 70 cars, not a single one had done under 180,000 km. The highest was 600,000 km and he drove from Munich, about 3000 km to get there.
      Diesel cars have more torque and with normal driving you hardly stress the engine and with a little over twice the idle speed, you are cruising at 100 km/hour. Less engine speed means less wear.

ironically a remapped tdi is
      faster than the next segment
      tdi at lesser price.

Awesome

Diesel cars have more torque and with normal driving you hardly stress the engine and with a little over twice the idle speed, you are cruising at 100 km/hour. Less engine speed means less wear.
      but sir, are you sure that this can followed in india too? take into account of the road and air condition also...
      Why do people post I want the best for my car... When there isn't anything that is the best on the car to begin with.

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by legendracer View Post
      are you sure that this can followed in india too
      I am trying to point out engine wear and maintenance. I know that roads are crowded there and with a diesel car avoid gear changes as often as a petrol car. I can creep on idle and first gear on a diesel that will be almost impossible on a petrol car.
      In the summer I drive with AC and heater in the winter but they work the same way as in petrol cars. Road conditions may not allow you to cruise at 100 but that is not the issue here.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days

Awesome

Guys, now you have your own thread to discuss the topic...BTW it is an interesting topic.

From what I understand from this forum, cars are changed more often. I have seen one forum member with a car that has done over 100,000 km.
      I am one of those people who drive a car which has run more than 130000 KMs till now, all driven by me. You will find many people who drive older, high milage cars, but they may not be on forum, they may not be very vocal about it.

India is still in it's early years when it comes to maturity of the market and car ownerships. only <3% people own a car in India. Per Capita Income of over 80% population is still below what we call poverty line in developed countries. Road infrastructure is yet to evolve, we are just into the first generation 4 lane highways.

Another reason for shorter ownership period is upwardly mobile tendency of Indians, as he/she earns more, he or she would like to improve his/her lifestyle in terms of home he lives in, car he drives, school attended by his kids, restaurants he dine with, jewelry, clothing, footwear, accessories and devices he flaunt, etc etc. in my opinion maximum number of so called upgrades / changes happen between the age 25 to 45 years, when one's productivity is at the peak. Younger people also tend to spend a lot on smart phones and bikes these days.

People also do not drive much because of fuel costs. most of the indians prefer to work close to their homes or towns/villages, or prefer to live closer to their work place. Many people even though own the car, they use company provided transportation because of economics, ease of travel and traffic related conditions. Many car owners drive their bikes to work place as it is quicker and economic as well. Hence car ODO remain low.

Neighbor's Envy Owner's Pride is one of the key factor most people still look for while buying cars. It used to be for Televisions earlier, now for Cars for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by legendracer View Post
      take into account of the road and air condition also...
      you may continue the discussion here. Let Jeanne continue to ponder in his thread whether he should have joy now or postpone it.

Last edited by Nomad; 26th Oct 2014 at 18:27.

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

This car runs without injector cleaners or other snake oil
      What is snake oil? Injector cleaners, well, they are to be used here because of rampant adulteration issues.

I know that roads are crowded there and with a diesel car avoid gear changes as often as a petrol car. I can creep on idle and first gear on a diesel that will be almost impossible on a petrol car.
      Well, this is where I have to point out you are wrong. The petrol engines sold here are tuned in such a way that it can creep in traffic without any accelerator input. I am only talking about newer gen cars sold here. For older cars, your point is totally valid. Also, the tuning is such that even in newer petrol cars, the number of gear changes can be minimized provided the driver is actually aware.

You must know that majority of the Indian public isn't trained properly on how to drive a manual car. The car makers have adapted very quickly to the conditions here, and given us cars which are actually easier to drive, but the same cannot be said about driver education.

So, now coming back to the topic here. It's not at all true anymore that diesels are more expensive to maintain. Here, one needs to change the diesel filter a little more frequently compared to the petrol filter, but then the petrol cars are advised to change their spark plugs at defined intervals (which aren't present in the diesels), which negates the cost advantage.

The engine oils now cost almost the same for both type of fuels, so I don't really think from a maintainence POV diesel is significantly more expensive. Mind you, this is only considering the routine maintainence. I haven't had the chance to analyze other parts yet, but safe to assume that the more rare to fail parts should be more expensive to replace in diesels.

Gearing will matter much more. Most of the cars sold here are set up in such a way that you will be stressing any engine (petrol or diesel) if you are above 100 kmph. There are exceptions, but they are... well... exceptions.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

One good analysis is given in the link below.
      http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ey_Save_Money/
      Why walk when you can run?

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
      Gearing will matter much more. Most of the cars sold here are set up in such a way that you will be stressing any engine (petrol or diesel) if you are above 100 kmph. There are exceptions, but they are... well... exceptions.
      Do you mean to say the cars are lower geared there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information