• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with My Duster. Faulty tyre and tyre noise

The New Guy

Awesome

Issues with My Duster. Faulty tyre and tyre noise

Hello every one.

I bought myself a Renault Duster on July,last year. Since then i am facing a number of issues in my car. Renaults quality control in duster is very pathetic. I am sharing my issues here out of which one is not yet solved by Renault. My dissatisfaction with the car is growing day by day because of all these issues. Here are they-

1) My car was leaking oil within a month of the purchase. Upon inspection we found out that the power steering fluid was leaking from the faulty steering pipe that had a manufacturing defect. Waited a month for the replacement to come and got it replaced under warranty. During this period, I was driving the car with regular top up of steering oil. Imagine people asking why I am topping steering fluid in my brand new car before every drive. My honeymoon period with the car was over very soon because of this. Issue resolved now but this incident first raised the question on quality control of Renault.

2) Water leaking from the AC and rear doors. The AC drain water leak is a common problem in most of the dusters but my car leaks water from the doors too. One simply doesn't expect a million rupee car to leak water from the AC and from doors while parked outside under rain. Rain water/water from car washes enters the cabin from the rear doors. Reported these to the service centre. They replaced the AC drain pipe, removed the floor carpets to dry them and applied some glues on the door pads to stop the water seepage. Will have to wait for some time to check whether the problems got actually fixed or not. Here are the pictures and video of the water seepage from the rear doors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	195622
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	195623

3) This is the latest in my list of major problems. I was getting a humming noise in speeds more then 60 kmph with mild vibration. At first I thought of it as a bearing issue. But when reported it to the service centre, they found out that the noise is coming from uneven tyre wear from all the four
      tyres. My duster has done only 15000 kms when I first noticed the sound. I regularly align my tyres and always drive with recommended tyre pressure. The inner sides of the MRF Wanderer tyres are wearing out. The service centre has balanced, rotated and aligned my tyres at the second service of 10000 kms. They did it in front of me. The service centre personnel including the floor manager has agreed that this is abnormal and blaming it on the tyre quality of MRF. When I told them that it can also be because of their incorrect camber alignment settings, but they replied that Dusters running on Apollo tyres are not having these issues. They have several complaints regarding this on MRF tyres and have raised a CRM for my issue and after that have not heard from them in last week. I myself found 4-5 cases discussed on Team BHP and consumer-court website having the same problem.

These issues were serious in my duster apart from the door, dashboard rattles on a 11 lakh rupees car which I have learnt to live with. But this tyre wear issue is not acceptable by me as a customer. I sent an email to Renault customer care and the next day I got a call from the customer care executive. Here is what she said- "Sir, you are getting the noise while driving because your tyres have worn out. You will have to replace your tyres and this will solve the problem." When I asked her how can tyres wear at 15000 kms and that too unevenly, she said- "Sir, it depends on your driving habits." I told her that I am not going to accept this and I will move to consumer court if required if Renault does not solve my problem. Sent the following mail to Renault Customer care yesterday but have not heard from them yet.

"To
      Renault customer care

I received a call today from Renault customer care and here is what I am explained. My car is having noise and vibration at and above speed of 60 kmph because my tyres worn out. This is normal and I have to replace my tyres to resolve this issue. Now here are my questions. I have already communicated these to the executive who called me but would like to put in a mail for further record and reference.

1) Does every car out there in the road (including Renaults) which has done 10000-15000 kms has this noise. The Hyundai Getz at our home (driven by me and my father) which has done 45000 kms does not have this nor does any car I know of among my friends.

So the noise is coming not because of the tyre wear but UNEVEN tyre wear. There is a difference in that.

2) Should Uneven tyre wear happen on car tyres?

No, it should not. I drive with my car keeping tyre pressure at 29. All my tyres were balanced, rotated and aligned at Renault Service Centre at 10000 km second service. So how can the tyres wear unevenly at such a short time. Either the Camber settings of the Duster are not correct or the tyres are faulty. Please give me the root cause here.

3) Now what should the customer do? Change the tyres right? Does it mean that Renault is asking me to change my tyres at every 15000 kms instead of 35000-40000 kms which generally is the life of car tyres including Duster's. Instead of finding the root cause of the issue and solving it, Renault is just trying to avoid the situation by asking customer to change tyres. Am I going to spend Rs 35000 on tyres at every 15000 kms.

Therefore I request Renault not to harass customer like this. I have already faced lots of major issues with my Duster. Don't add one more to the list. My tyre wear issue is not normal and is happening because of some fault at Renaults end. Please fix this at the earliest and compensate me with new tyres as replacement under warranty without further delay and customer harassment."

Posting here for your suggestions. In my view Renault should find the root cause of the problem here and should fix it. Otherwise the next set of tyres will also have the same fate. If the alignment settings are faulty then correct them and if the tyres are faulty then end your tie up with MRF and continue with Apollo only. In both the cases, I should be compensated with new tyres and should be done quickly as one can not drive a car with those tyres from a safety point of view.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Well, first things first.. Which of the wheels is/are showing uneven wear? Can you share you latest wheel alignment report?
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

The New Guy

Awesome

All the four tyres are showing uneven wear. I dont have the report of alignment done at 10000 km at service centre. They did not share with me.

Global Moderator
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaskar View Post
      All the four tyres are showing uneven wear. I dont have the report of alignment done at 10000 km at service centre. They did not share with me.

That is your RIGHT! IN fact I refuse to pay for alignment if the report is not given!

Immediately take your vehicle to the best computerised wheel alignment place in your city and get a report. You will need this to even being to counter anything anyone claims.

If its not the camber, then its larger issues - and thats worrying! Pls Get the alignment done and put up the report here. Tell them you want the entire range - including camber/steering angle.. the works! (some machines/softwares have the option of skipping certain features/tests)
      Last edited by kb100; 13th Nov 2014 at 11:37.

The New Guy

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      Immediately take your vehicle to the best computerised wheel alignment place in your city and get a report. You will need this to even being to counter anything anyone claims.
      First alignment I did was at 7000 km (Don't have the report as the printer was not working at the alignment shop but everything was within limits). The second alignment was done at 10k at service centre. They also said that report couldn't be given as the printer was not working. But they performed it in front of me. I did the last alignment at a computerised wheel alignment centre near my home at 13000 km. (I have the report, will upload tomorrow as its in my home). The toe settings were adjusted every time but the camber settings were not touched. I am told at both service centre and at the alignment shop that the camber settings can not be changed at their end.

If its not the camber, then its larger issues
      I will upload the last report tomorrow. Is the camber settings susceptible to frequent variations like the toe settings? I have not seen any alignment centre making any change in camber. They say that it is done at company/service centre level only.

Global Moderator
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaskar View Post
      I will upload the last report tomorrow. Is the camber settings susceptible to frequent variations like the toe settings? I have not seen any alignment centre making any change in camber. They say that it is done at company/service centre level only.
      Yes - changes in camber effect toe.

Please put up the report.

On some vehicles the camber is adjustable - I have seen them do this on Scorpio and Safari IIRC. On many of the others it is not. ON those you will need to use "camber adjustment bolts". Search for that term here - I have put up a thread myself.

But if your camber is out on a new vehicle - that too on all four wheels - it is clearly a manufacturing defect and the vehicle will have to be replaced. (chassis bent/flex etc)

Please get the test report and lets eliminate one option after another.
      Last edited by kb100; 13th Nov 2014 at 16:45.

My Lovable Family Mover
      Friendly

Awesome

On some vehicles the camber is adjustable - I have seen them do this on Scorpio and Safari IIRC. On many of the others it is not.
      Yes! Its Caster and Camber i have seen while doing adjustment for wheel alignment in my Xylo.

U can Diagnosis yourself with help of these ones if u have this type:

Name:  caster-diagram1.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  alignment2_sm.gif
Views: 1793
Size:  4.8 KB

Name:  camber-diagram2.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  camber.gif
Views: 1769
Size:  6.3 KB

Grande Punto 90hp

Awesome

Bhaskar bro, I was also having exact same problem,

I had a fight with fiat officials and got 18 grand as compensation.
      pEOPLE dON'T fA!L , tHEY g!VE uP

The New Guy

Awesome

Sorry for not being able to upload the alignment test reports. The reports are at my home and I have not got a chance to go there (I work and stay in a different town). Meanwhile, got a call from my service centre. They have accepted that the tyres were defective but MRF is not willing to accept it. They have not told me the exact reply from MRF. They are offering to replace the MRF tyres with Apollo at a 50% cost sharing basis. They have guaranteed that the Apollo tyres will not have the same fate. I have not accepted their offer as defective parts in a vehicle should be replaced at the company's cost. Have not heard from them since.

Quote Originally Posted by VivekRj.Dieselhead View Post
      I had a fight with fiat officials and got 18 grand as compensation.
      18 grand off on the new tyres? What % is it of the total cost?

Grande Punto 90hp

Awesome

Actually I got the tires replaced at my cost.

Later I got 75% of cost of tires I bought.

I have Michelin XM2

Ask them to reimburse at least 75%.
      Last edited by VivekRj.Dieselhead; 17th Nov 2014 at 13:25.
      pEOPLE dON'T fA!L , tHEY g!VE uP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information