• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skoda Rapid 2013 Headlight Upgrade

Searcing new Destinations...

Awesome

Skoda Rapid 2013 Headlight Upgrade

Hi

I want to upgrade the headlights of my Skoda Rapid 2013. Enough have been said about the quality of the car, so no point in going over again. Unfortunately, the headlights are not something to boast about.
      Soon after delivery, I had changed the headlight bulbs to Philips 90/100 from Pit Stop Bangalore and it was fine. Now need to upgrade after bulb change (due to headlight assy change).

I am considering upgrading to HIDs with projectors. Based on numerous posts on the net, I understand that HIDs with projectors are the way to go as they are not only aesthetic in nature, they also improve the functionality (visibility) especially for highway driving. A good throw is important when you are doing high speeds at night. Though most of the highways are 4 laned and so pot holes are less of an issue, still obstruction like people crossing the road all of a sudden, a stray animal of some vehicle parked on the road itself can create problem.

One of the dealers I spoke to in Bangalore suggested that HIDs even with projectors don't provide any functional benefit and stick to my 90/100 bulbs. Another suggested to go with HID only and avoid projectors. Gnome local rep sent me this photos, approx cost 18k without DRLs. Add another 10k for the DRLs. All inclusive would be Rs. 28k. He also suggested to see it in person at Vinayak Skoda showroom at Sadashivnagar. (I thought the Skoda people were vary of any aftermarket product, don't know how they allowed this).
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20141229-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	197841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20141229-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	197842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20141229-WA0002.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	197843Name:  IMG-20141229-WA0003.jpg
Views: 8824
Size:  16.9 KBName:  IMG-20141229-WA0004.jpg
Views: 8788
Size:  13.4 KBName:  IMG-20141229-WA0005.jpg
Views: 8757
Size:  12.3 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20141229-WA0006.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	197847

There are some other options also like http://www.mxsmotosport.com/product-details.php?id=1711 from MXS Motorsport, customlights, etc.
      In addition, multiple listings can be found on eBay, Aliexpress etc. All in all, it is totally confusing. There are many videos on youtube showing the clarity and throw of the HIDs.

This is what I need:
      • Good visibility and throw for highway driving at night (high and low beam both)
      • Angel eyes (optional)
      • DRLs (if economical)
      • Ability to flash during day time. Many autos mini trucks etc simply refuse to give way. At times it can be life saver.
      • Colour code should be 4300K. I understand that anything above that reduces the visibility. In foggy or rainy conditions, 4300 seems to be the most suitable.

Kindly suggest:
      Should I go with HIDs alone.
      Should I go with HIDs with projectors
      Or should I stick to my Philips 90/100 (or some other bulb change)
      Am not much fan of DIYs, hence a reliable installer required in Bangalore.
      Along with the suggestions and places to source the kit, the approximate cost and life of the product would help.

I like to travel long distances so night driving is unavoidable.

Kindly advise.
      Am tagging kb100, Digital Vampire and Mi10

Thanks

Anil
      Last edited by kb100; 30th Dec 2014 at 19:53. Reason: Adding tags

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

My answers in BLUE

Quote Originally Posted by cityinnova View Post
      This is what I need:
      Good visibility and throw for highway driving at night (high and low beam both)
      - Stick to 90/100. A projector can give you either one of these - not both. None of the cheap stuff (like the ones in the pics) give you a useful high beam.

Angel eyes (optional)
      Very Wanna-be (personal opinion). Another thing - with dubious life expectancy, replacing will cost you installation charges all over again.
      DRLs (if economical)
      ... do ..

Ability to flash during day time. Many autos mini trucks etc simply refuse to give way. At times it can be life saver.
      Stick to 90/100s. You cannot flash with HiDs without killing the bulb very quickly. (It takes 8 seconds to reach operating temp from cold)

Colour code should be 4300K. I understand that anything above that reduces the visibility. In foggy or rainy conditions, 4300 seems to be the most suitable.
      Yes it is.

Kindly suggest:
      Should I go with HIDs alone.
      Yes - A good first step... that way you can easily revert back to halogens in case you are not satisfied.

Should I go with HIDs with projectors
      Chinese ones like the ones in the pics are useless. OE ones are way more expensive

Or should I stick to my Philips 90/100 (or some other bulb change)
      I would

Am not much fan of DIYs, hence a reliable installer required in Bangalore.
      Nothing like that. What 'reliability' are you seeking?

Along with the suggestions and places to source the kit, the approximate cost and life of the product would help.
      Has been covered in multiple posts. Please use the search function. Prices for OE in Mi10s post. Come back with specific queries if any.

Last edited by kb100; 30th Dec 2014 at 20:09.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

G16B oh i love you. More than
      you love me.

Awesome

The Rapid headlamps look good enough stock, but the blacked out Projector + Reflector type headlights like on Mi10 s Penguin Rapid would be great. The Stock fog lamps can be turned to white HID, wouldnt suggest for daytime running, but provide good enuf visilbility. That DRL strip looks a little overdone these days, atleast what i think. Like kb100 mentioned the cheaper options are out if you want better light.
      Best would be stock with 4300k HID conversion and maybe black out the reast of the headlamp. Still i feel you should see other cars with these upgrades before jumping in.

If still not enough light then get a Lightforce 240 Blitz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have fun

Build it the way you want it, the way it reflects your personality.

2006 Suzuki Swift Vxi - Mignight Black - [SOLD]
      2010 Suzuki Ritz Vdi - Silver - [SOLD]
      2006 Suzuki Baleno Lxi - White - BECAUSE RACECAR
      2009 Suzuki Swift Dzire Vdi - Midnight Black - Sour Diesel

Flickr: www.flickr.com/the_shubs

FIAT has die-hard fans for a
      reason !

Awesome

If Iam allowed to chip in some from my experience after using 90/100 bulb combo and then quality projectors, I would say, go for projectors. Yes nothing can beat 90/100 combo when it comes to value for money, but a good setup of projectors do have its own advantages. Like say Iam using FXR projectors with a proper bulb combo and I do quite a bit of highway driving. The spread the projectors give and the ability to project that spread far off comes very handy in tackling situations you mentioned in your post. I myself got saved many times from unexpected surprises on road due to this very ability of projectors to give a wide spread of constant light. Now the catch is, if you want a killer high beam, you have to loose some on low beam and if you want a killer low beam with widest spread possible then you have to compromise on high beam. I will advice go for a high beam oriented setup BCOZ you have your OEM fog lights to compensate the lost spread and intensity in low beam.
      Now the Gnome projectors you mentioned are very overpriced and are almost ditto copy of AES ones which are available for far less price. I have myself seen it on of my friend's fiesta. So if your budget is that much, get hold of OEM Hella evos for killer high beam or famous FXR for a killer low beam. You wont regret the decision if you'll take proper path. Regarding flash, yes you have to dump this practice as as Kb100 said, that will just kill your hid bulbs in no time.
      Now I shifted to projectors some one year back and later shifted to FXR, till date I dont regret my decision even a bit.

Cheers
      Last edited by metal_thread; 30th Dec 2014 at 22:04.
      If you can park it and not turn around to look at it

YOU HAVEN't BOUGHT THE RIGHT CAR !!

www.xenonplanet.in

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

obstruction like people crossing the road all of a sudden, a stray animal of some vehicle parked on the road itself can create problem.
      The brightest lamps wont help you here. Your right foot is the only thing that helps. Using very bright HIDs will light up better in front of the car but at the same time you see less in the darker areas.
      The only solution is to reduce speeds as no headlamps will give you daylight at night.

Aware that status can be set
      here! :P

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      The brightest lamps wont help you here. Your right foot is the only thing that helps. Using very bright HIDs will light up better in front of the car but at the same time you see less in the darker areas.
      The only solution is to reduce speeds as no headlamps will give you daylight at night.
      This is something that I always try to explain to people looking for brigheter headlights. Especially in India where people tend to blind the person coming from opposite side by the glare of their beams.

Cheers !!!

Max.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by max_jeopardy View Post
      This is something that I always try to explain to people looking for brigheter headlights.
      I live in a country where it gets dark at 3 or 4 PM in winter and in some places its night 24/7 but most people use reflectors and most outer jackets have reflectors sewn on to them. Still speeds are lower than in India.
      The fenced motorways are free of pedestrians and the only danger is the moose or a fox that crosses the unfenced roads. I use the stock 55/60 bulbs and wont dream of fitting 90/100 bulbs.
      The trick is to adjust your speed to the real world outside the car.
      Lets say you are driving at a safe speed and moving 80 meters/second and you see a dark shadow of a man. A person without reflectors is only about 50 metres in front of your car. Your reaction time of 1 second and 1 second braking distance will not be enough to save him however bright your headlights are.
      When you see him and hit the brakes, you might already have hit him or worse, killed him..
      Check out this site. PÅ is ON and AV is OFF. The picture is taken at around 3 PM in the winter.

Refleks | Trygg Trafikk
      Last edited by Indian; 31st Dec 2014 at 01:25.

love to drive thanks to
      wonderfully sounding system.
      Thanks Gearheads.

Awesome

I would suggest you to have a look at the stock headlights of the new Rapid elegance headlights.

These have projectors for lows and normal h7 for highs.

You could use HIDs in the projectors and Philips Extreme vision for the highs. Good combination with ample light throw.

Searcing new Destinations...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
      I would suggest you to have a look at the stock headlights of the new Rapid elegance headlights.
      Yesterday I went to Vinayak Skoda showroom and asked for the option of replacing my headlights with the one from 2014 model.
      The manager said that is not possible.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Yesterday I went to Vinayak Skoda showroom and asked for the option of replacing my headlights with the one from 2014 model.
      The manager said that is not possible.

It is possible ... and it has been done! Pls go thru Mi10 's thread
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information