• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecosport TDCi - Remapped by CODE 6 Tuning - “Evilsport“

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Ecosport TDCi - Remapped by CODE 6 Tuning - “Evilsport“

I picked up an Ecosport earlier this month, the purchase process and decision making, needs a whole different thread. That however would be a boring topic, so I'll start with this one.

I promised myself I would leave this car alone, but there are always evil people lurking around me tempting me with stuff I find difficult to resist.
      maverick-seby did me in, this time.
      I'd barely put 250kms on the odo,when the call came.
      This evil man already had been informed of my initial decision to leave this car stock.
      He pretends he hasn't heard it, and casually asks me over the phone,when I'll be turning up for the remap.
      So much for my steely resolve to leave this car unmolested. I told him, "tomorrow is my day off"
      I turned up at his place, which now is the Code6 branch office in Cochin, next morning. I was excited enough to forget to hand over my son's lunch box when I dropped him off at school (his teacher got him food from the canteen, don't worry! )
      Gino had the ECU out in minutes.
      I helped him pry of the cover of the ECU, while asking myself, in my head, what the hell I was doing.
      The stock map was read ,saved and sent to lead hacker, tadukuttan
      Some delicate soldering was done. A few minutes later, the new map has been downloaded and flashed on to the ECU.
      The ECU was dropped back in, and the car restarted as if nothing had happened.
      Visions of a bricked ECU, dead car, all went away immediately.
      Everything was running fine, and the pessimistic part of my brain felt a little silly for worrying so much.

Drove around in bumper to bumper traffic, impressed by the way it was moving. Then went home and slept.
      The next day, I took it to work, instead of taking the bicycle like I do, usually.
      A few minutes after getting out of the house, I had to make a quick overtaking maneuver to pass a KSRTC bus. I floored the accelerator like I would on a stock car, with the engine at 1500rpm. The surge in acceleration was scary enough to make me hold my breath for two seconds.

So, impressions, after two weeks of driving this hooligan around,
      Smooth acceleration from 1500rpm to 4000rpm
      I can upshift at 4k if needed and not have the torque drop off. This comes in handy while overtaking on highways and the other car refuses to let me pass. The extra 1000 rpm means that I can stay in gear while the other guy loses out during up shifts.

Engine doesn't feel stressed while revving high. It sounds happy.
      Throttle response is instantaneous and easily modulated.
      Did a hill climb yesterday with a full load of passengers. The throttle response and free revving behavior makes it very easy to powerslide the car around corners.
      Rev matching for corners is also a breeze because I can control engine speed so easily without lags from the throttle input.

Touches 160 very easily. In a really short distance. Didn't push beyond that speed because the road surface was undulating. I probably might be able to do 170 -180 on a decent stretch of road.
      However, my driving style involves hanging out between 100-120 in 5th gear and using the copious amounts of reserve revs and torque to point and shoot at overtaking opportunities.

To give you an idea of how easy it is to maintain a high average speed with this map,
      I did Cochin-Kulamavu in an hour with a full load of passengers on stock tires, suspension and brakes, easy.
      The last time I'd did that was in a souped up Swift Diesel with Bilstein suspension, Tarox rotors and a single passenger, while autonut played pilot.
      At the end of the trip in the swift, I was exhausted,and covered in sweat.
      This is because, scrubbing the speed off at corners and in traffic doesn't seem to faze the Ecosport as much. Whatever speed lost is regained almost instantly at the dab of the accelerator pedal. Accelerates similar to the Fluidic Verna that I drive occasionally.

On the highway to Bangalore last week, I was driving through post Diwali traffic as if they were sitting still. I'd see a gap, hundreds of meters away as lorries played drag racing over several lanes, but I'd always get to it well before those gaps shut.
      For the first time, I actually enjoyed highway traffic and those boring straight roads.
      It felt like I was playing a video game version of some flight simulator.

After all this, and getting stuck for hours together at toll plazas and in Bangalore traffic, I still managed a pretty decent 15kmpl.

Future plans to be executed by Code 6 wizards
      1. Decat and straight pipe to make some music above 3500rpm. This might also help with the tall 2nd gear that all Ecosports suffer from.
      2. EGT gauge and boost gauge.
      I'm still trying to decide on EGR delete.

This map makes me want to go on drives.

EDIT
      I'd written this post a few months ago. But forgot to put it up till now. Was reminded about it while pasting CODE 6 stickers on the car yesterday after our gearheads Meat at panampilly.
      The car has done 6000kms on the map. I'm so glad I lost control and Remapped it.
      Last edited by Ripper; 31st Dec 2014 at 07:04.
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

Vroom ... Vroom

Awesome

Let the pictures do the talking !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8472.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	197888

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	197889
      Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI AT 2017
      Honda Brio Vx AT 2013
      Volkswagen Jetta 2011 Code6 DSG/TCU tuned
      Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCI (2011) Code 6 tuned
      i20 CRDI ASTA (2009) Pete's box

love to drive thanks to
      wonderfully sounding system.
      Thanks Gearheads.

Awesome

Congrats Doc on the Ecosport.

Further, congrats on the remapped Ecosport.

Whats the power post the remap? Pls elaborate.

Driving a Code 6 remapped
      Fiesta Classic

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      I'm so glad I lost control and Remapped it.
      Happy to know about your satisfaction and the response of the ecosport for the remap.

Keep munching happy miles...

Boom 'n Vroom !!

Awesome

Great to know that it's working well. Congrats on that. A quick question though. Were you flooring it without running the engine in?

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

deepfusion, haven't dynoed it, so don't know. Power is more than adequate. That's all I can say. Abhay Zutshi, didn't bother with a strict running in, this time. I'd done it in my previous cars and didn't see any special benefits.

Hungry

I did Cochin-Kulamavu in an hour with a full load of passengers on stock tires, suspension and brakes, easy.

The fastest I've done is 1 hr 10 minutes in Cruze

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Well, I've been doing that route one or twice a month for many years, so it's no big deal. I still got beaten to the top by an bilstein + psi box Innova with a full load of passengers. Depends on the driver, I guess.
      We were traveling on a Sunday morning.

The ecosport is surprisingly fun to throw around the ghats. Not as nimble as a Figo, but still confident, in spite of it's height.
      Never needed to use 1st gear in the hairpins because I could carry considerable speed into the corners.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

I could carry considerable speed into the corners.
      Pooah passengers. They must have been relieved the driver is a Doc - or worried that you may practice like you drive!
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

<invisible>

Awesome

Ecosport that does this is excellent !

Accelerates similar to the Fluidic Verna that I drive occasionally.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information