• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian KTM Dukes - Building an OBD2 Cable for Datalogging the DUKE-200/390 & RC-200/390 - CODE 6 Tuning

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Indian KTM Dukes - Building an OBD2 Cable for Datalogging the DUKE-200/390 & RC-200/390 - CODE 6 Tuning

Recently finished development of Stage-1 ECU remap tunes for the KTM 200/390 at CODE 6 Tuning, and during calibration development, realized that there are no tools available for logging data from the Indian made Duke ECUs. This is quite surprising because Dukes are generally owned by tech savy bikers, and they usually trigger a demand for diagnostic cables etc. Probably too early in the life of these engines for the after-market to develop affordable diagnostic cables?

Pin out for KTM Diag cable from tune ECU folks, for the international version of KTM bikes-
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cable_OBD_KTM.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	198091

Note that they just use the k-line for flashing, and the CAN lines are not connected. These wont work on the Indian KTM because the Indian bikes uses the Bosch Value Motronic (Bosch ME 17.8.5), quite different from Keihins used by the other KTM bikes abroad.

KTM bikes internationally as well as locally use a non-standard OBD port, shown in the picture below, from an Indian KTM 200. Same is used in the Indian 390/RC 390 as well.

Name:	20141106_141701_Amrita University Rd.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	198090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141106_141619_Amrita University Rd.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	198089

Notice that there are 4 wires, for the initiated - +12v, GND, CAN-H and CAN-L and No K-line. Did not have a male connector for this socket, hence sacrificed a TUNE-ECU cable. The OBD Female connector was salvaged from an old Galleto-1260 clone from the old days when CODE 6 was not around and we were making merry with clones on our personal cars.

Here is a pic of the KTM male connecter -

Name:	photo_2015-01-02_19-41-03.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	198187

And here are the interconnection details

Name:	KTM-OBD_CABLE_DIY_www.code6.in.jpg 
Views:	1324 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	198175

KTM Duke Side - Male connector (Interfaces with female socket on the bike)
      1 +12V
      2 CAN-H
      3 CAN-L
      6 GND

OBD2 Female Socket (for plugging in the OBD Reader)
      4/5 GND
      6 CAN-H
      14 CAN-L
      16 +12V

And here is it rigged up -

Name:	20141203_115014_Amrita University Rd.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	198105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141203_115406_Amrita University Rd.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	198106

Available PIDs and other information from Torque/Dash Command Android apps -

Name:	Screenshots_2014-12-03-11-33-43.png 
Views:	335 
Size:	486.4 KB 
ID:	198112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshots_2014-12-03-11-32-39.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	198111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshots_2014-12-03-11-31-06.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	198110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshots_2014-12-03-11-30-46.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	198109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshots_2014-12-03-11-35-45.png 
Views:	289 
Size:	358.1 KB 
ID:	198113

Needless to say, any OBD adapter/logger can connect as long as it supports the CAN based protocol used by the Duke 200/390, which is literally any windows or Android based app that is out there. And yes, this can clear error codes / CELs. Saved a lot of time because the Duke is a modern engine, with all the right sensors, and does log all the right errors, for the right wrongs we did to it.

Name:	Screenshots_2014-12-03-11-32-17.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	198115
      The primary shortcoming is that there is no RPM PID. Which means that to data-log you have to use an RPM pickup. I would say use this - Amazon.com: Innovate Motorsports 3834 Inductive Clamp Accessory Kit - RPM pick-up for LM-2, LMA-2, LMA-3, DL-32: Automotive. But there are a lot of reports about this not doing its job on the internet.

And of course, to develop a tune you would need an AFR gauge with logging capabilities. We used sensors from Innovate and/or AEM. Here is a bike setup with an AEM UEGO -

Name:	20141203_162546_Amrita University Rd.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	198116

And in a video -

Both of them can be connected to a Tactrix Open Port 2.0 which can then log to an SD card. Topic for another thread if anybody wants to know. Here is my Tactrix logging setup being configured with EVOScan -

Name:	20141203_161017_Amrita University Rd.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	198114

Ps. If you need help to build your own OBD2 cable, let me know.
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

On board BW KESTREL

Awesome

Is the remap for the Duke 390 ready and if so what's the cost?
      The only people who have a problem with FIAT are those who have never owned one!

wheel victims.

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by P3T3R View Post
      Is the remap for the Duke 390 ready and if so what's the cost?
      Yes P3T3R, development on the 390 tune was completed a long time ago, and it is pretty awesome. Almost perfect.

Our prices are currently at 15k for the enthusiast crowd from forums. Although we have often sold it cheaper to guys from here who cant afford that price.

Who is the tune for?

On board BW KESTREL

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
      Yes P3T3R, development on the 390 tune was completed a long time ago, and it is pretty awesome. Almost perfect.

Our prices are currently at 15k for the enthusiast crowd from forums. Although we have often sold it cheaper to guys from here who cant afford that price.

Who is the tune for?
      Thanks. I'm planning to buy a Duke 390.
      The only people who have a problem with FIAT are those who have never owned one!

wheel victims.

Hungry

I'm planning to buy a Duke 390
      Great choice. Nothing beats the 390 for your money's worth in acceleration. Every time I take out a tuned 390 for a test ride, my heart skips a few beats...

Doubt anything else exists on this planet that can take you from 0 to 100 in 5 seconds, for this money!

On board BW KESTREL

Awesome

Now I know it's the wrong place to ask the question (It's like going to Chennai and asking a local "In what way is a Masala Dosa better than Tandoori Chicken?") but I'll ask it anyway.
      In what way is a Code 6 (or any other) remap better than the Race Dynamics Powertronics box?

Now I have read the countless threads in various forums on Remap vs Petes (or Similar) Box. I am aware of the pros and cons of each and that the Remap is indeed better than the Box (Just like the Masala Dosa is better than Tandoori Chicken).

- So is the RD Powertronics box any different from a Petes Box? If so what are the differences.
      - There are a lot of reviews all over the world of the RD box on the Duke 390 forums and most are quite positive.
      - Still haven't found any reviews on Remaps.
      - I am aware of a few Dukes in Goa running remaps from Kiirus and Tune-o-Tronics. Lets not debate on which remap is better, if I'm getting a remap it will be CODE6. Period.

wheel victims.

Hungry

So is the RD Powertronics box any different from a Petes Box? If so what are the differences
      Petes boxes are rail pressure boxes for Diesel cars. Rail pressure boxes are what you would use if you do not have access to a good tuner/remap. The power these can develop is pretty small compared to a remap. But still good enough if you cannot get your car remapped. And rail pressure diesel boxes cannot be used on a Duke, or any petrol car or bike, obviously. As a general rule, for a Diesel, use a Rail Pressure box if you dont have access to a tuner and you are looking for minor power gains. If you are looking for major gains, you have to use a remap. A Diesel box cannot give you large peak gains.

The RD box for the Duke is different, and it works just like a power commander. Extending and shifting fuel and injection pulses is how these operate. These are very useful when you do some mods that lean out the AFR and have no way of getting to a remap. Good intakes and exhausts often lean out AFR and you do need to correct fueling at the earliest. And if you cant get to a remap, then you should use a power commander or an RD ecu. The only catch is, these operate blind, as in with no access to sensor data, and unlike in a Diesel, operating blind with a petrol engine often results in blown up engines. But using one of these boxes to correct AFR after mods is any day better than running lean, on any petrol engine.

Check out how to tune using a Power Commander -

Summary for NA engines - use box/ecu if you are all DIY, and you need to continuously tweak afr yourself. Or if your engine cannot be remapped. Or if you dont have access to a tuner. In all other cases, you a remap. Remaps, just like the car or bike ECU knows what is going on with the engine, and can dial back when it detects non appropriate operating conditions. Boxes never do that.

For a modern turbo petrol, only use a remap. Working without access to sensor data on a modern TC car is a recipe for disaster.

On board BW KESTREL

Awesome

Another question. Are the remaps done only in Bangalore and do you do them whenever you travel to other places?

wheel victims.

Hungry

Are the remaps done only in Bangalore and do you do them whenever you travel to other places?
      Can be done anywhere as long as travel costs dont turn out to be more than what we charge for the map/s...

Rat in a race to don't know
      where...

Awesome

The connector used in the Duke is exactly the same as the age old Pulsar 220 Fi. Is it worth seeing anything can be done for the 220 Fi ?

I know for a fact that Bajaj uses the same OEM diagnostic tool to tune both the Duke and the 220.
      2007 | Bajaj Pulsar 220 Dts-Fi | 120000 Kms
      2005 | Fiat Palio 1.2 NV Sport | 29000 Kms

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information