• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise on the Next Car Please

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Advise on the Next Car Please

Dear Gearheads,

I am planning to buy a car in the next couple of months and analyzing what suits my requirements. I have a few of options to choose from and trying to make a decision (that’s where I am looking for some advice).

Requirements –

1. I am inclined towards an SUV or a cross over, rather than getting a sedan
      2. Need a diesel only within a budget of under 14-15 OTR ( at Mumbai)
      3. Since I normally put on some 30k on odo per year, I wud prefer the economy to be atleast 14+ ( that makes Scorpio & Safari ineligible – Plus my fiancé feels I look like a truck driver driving either of these )
      4. I also intend to invest on aftermarket audio install and hence nicer quieter cabin is desired
      5. Since I travel long distances too, would prefer good dealer network

Considerations –

1. S Cross – I have been pinning my hopes on Maruti launching this vehicle soon and that they would get 1.6 ltr options in India (and not the 1.3 MJD which would be quite small for the car). According to reports it was to launch in Dec/Q1 but now according to fresh reports it aint coming out until May. I know it aint an SUV but its close enough and ticks almost all check boxes for me.

2. Duster – I like the AWD variant however with this car they have moved the spare inside the cabin, that would make the audio install little tricky. The 2WD has the spare mounted below and hence leaves the entire boot to install the three amps and rest of the equipment with a false floor.
      Here are the questions that I have on duster
      a. AWD has a greyish dash, does 2 WD has it too?
      b. According to some test reports, there is a considerable transmission noise inside the cabin – is that true?
      c. How are the overall NVH levels inside the cabin (for both 2WD & 4WD).
      d. Overall – how is the long term reliability of the vehicle

3. Terano – Its essentially the duster underneath, hence not sure if extra money is justified for this vehicle. The same ergonomic issues still persists in this as well, and hence not too inclined towards it.

4. Scorpio – Well even if I convince her that it doesn’t make me look as if I am driving a truck, I still see some issues with it like – still has a bumpy ride, mediocre leg room in the second row, ergonomic issues and off course FE ( which I believe is still around 8-9).

At this juncture I am trying to decide if I should wait for S Cross (to see if the sanity would prevail and Maruti folks would launch it with 1.6 option) or if I should go for Duster. Guys, any comments/ suggestions/ Info would be very helpful.

Regards

Hungry for more POWER!!!

Hungry

Why don't you consider the XUV 500 W4. It should be in your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by abhi99 View Post
      1. S Cross – I have been pinning my hopes on Maruti launching this vehicle soon
      This one's definitely going to a long time.

Also heard the new scorpio is really good minus the rear side. Take a TD of all the vehicles. See which one suits you the best.

Thats the only way you can come to a conclusion.
      Last edited by The Flash; 31st Jan 2015 at 20:26.
      2005 Maruti Swfit
      2005 Skoda Octavia
      2008 Ford Fiesta Classic
      2013 Honda Dio - Pearl White
      2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDi - White Panther

"Try everything in life but don't get addicted to it"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bala4567 View Post
      Take a TD of all the vehicles. See which one suits you the best.

Thats the only way you can come to a conclusion.
      Yes Buddy, Thats what I intend to do as I land back in India by first week of March.
      In the meanwhile, looking to decide whether it makes sense to wait for S Cross, or something else that I can consider

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Have you considered the Ford Ecosport? I am asking this as you are considering the Duster.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Hungry for more POWER!!!

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by abhi99 View Post
      or something else that I can consider
      Hyundai ix25 is also going to release by march or april. You can also look into that.
      Last edited by The Flash; 1st Feb 2015 at 00:10.
      2005 Maruti Swfit
      2005 Skoda Octavia
      2008 Ford Fiesta Classic
      2013 Honda Dio - Pearl White
      2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDi - White Panther

"Try everything in life but don't get addicted to it"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      Have you considered the Ford Ecosport? I am asking this as you are considering the Duster.
      I also need a little spacious boot, I need something that will have some space left after I complete my audio install. Plus its tricky to install the aftermarket HU in EcoSport.

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      It was indeed my first choice, but looks like this car would not be out until August ( on the ambitious side) or by Oct. Different mags have different opinions, but all agree that this wont be out until August atleast.

Metal militia!!!

Awesome

I would recommend the duster for car like drivability,super smooth suspension and large boot space!...I liked the awd interiors but the boot space is literally nil compared to 2wd.xuv is also good but quality of plastics and the car is nothing to write about.
      If everything seems under control
      you
      are not going fast enough!!!

Life is too short to enjoy

Hungry

Well i would suggest the following cars in preference

1) Maruti ertiga - Spacious , Reliable , Audio upgrade can be done,good mileage .The only problem areas are beige interiors and 135 liter luggage capacity with all 3 rows of seats in place

2) Toyota Innova - Mod friendly ,Reliable , Good mileage, Good dealership network ,spacious .Only problem is that it is regarded as Taxi

3) Renault Duster - Not a very good dealership network , good ride quality and spacious, Not suitable 30k on odo per year. Reliability , spare parts can become a problem

4) Mahindra XUV5OO- Niggles, rattles may disturb you and audio upgrade is difficult . It is a comfortable , spacious vehicle .
      Last edited by AMG Style; 1st Feb 2015 at 14:29.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by metalmickey View Post
      I would recommend the duster for car like drivability,super smooth suspension and large boot space!...I liked the awd interiors but the boot space is literally nil compared to 2wd.xuv is also good but quality of plastics and the car is nothing to write about.
      Yeah, thats what I saw on those reviews too. Since the tire has been moved in, it ate up a bit of space. But I do like the interiors of 4 WD better than 2WD, the black and grey combination works for me better than black and beige.

For XUV, the FE and the fact that only w4 would fit in that budget keeps me from considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by AMG Style View Post
      2) Toyota Innova - Mod friendly ,Reliable , Good mileage, Good dealership network ,spacious .Only problem is that it is regarded as Taxi
      This would have been my choice but she is not a very big fan,

Quote Originally Posted by AMG Style View Post
      3) Renault Duster - Not a very good dealership network , good ride quality and spacious, Not suitable 30k on odo per year. Reliability , spare parts can become a problem
      I have been trying to find some long term ownership reports but did not find too many and hence looking for some feedback here.

jazz x -- best hatch ever

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by metalmickey View Post
      xuv is also good but quality of plastics and the car is nothing to write about.
      I agree to it only if we compare to similar priced premium sedans .
      And i bet it will be same or even better if u compare with duster.

Also isn't duster awd and xuv w8 almost at par with each other in cost ?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information