• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: New tires for Eon?

The Terminator

Awesome

New tires for Eon?

A friend of mine is looking to get new set of tires for his Hyundai Eon. Size is 145/80 R12. Any recommendations?.
      Rabid Dog Club - Bite First, Bark Later.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

You may go for Good Year Duraplus. I am using the same for a couple of years in two cars and happy with the same. The first time I selected is for replacing the tire in my first car, after doing some research over the internet and time proved that my decision was right.

Why I recommend this because its a balanced tire at a moderate price. What I mean balanced is its neither a hard tire or a soft tire, comes in between.

Tires uses fillers like Carbon Black or Amorphous Silica or polymers and these fillers determines the hardness and many other key properties of tires.

Hard tires are resistant to wear and tear, but may not be a good performer for providing grip, especially at slippery surfaces at higher speeds. Also it makes more road noises. But a better tire life is guaranteed. Generally trucks prefer these tires as they get more mileage and trouble free in long runs.

Soft tires gives better road grip, riding comfort, control and lower road noise, but wears out quickly. Also they are more prone to punctures especially the side wall damages. But these tires are really useful in slippery and icy situations (like winter tires, racing tires).

At normal Indian conditions, for a regular use, we neither need a soft nor a hard tire. In my Eon which use Goodyear Duraplus, I just had only one puncture during last two years of use even though I goes at a fairly bad roads, especially with lots of sharp items on road (like nails due to metro railway work). Regarding the wear and tear, which covered about 30K in my Santro, threads are still solid and will easily go more than 25K. At the same time I am getting fairly good braking at highways @ 80 - 90kmph.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
      A friend of mine is looking to get new set of tires for his Hyundai Eon. Size is 145/80 R12. Any recommendations?.
      Michelin XM2. No other good options available in that size.

Thread Information