• Secret
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fables of the Penguin and ICE - \ Clarion \ SO Audio \ Brian \

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Fables of the Penguin and ICE - \ Clarion \ SO Audio \ Brian \

"Write something worth doing; or do something worth writing" – Benjamin Franklin

Indeed it’s been quite some time since I’ve written anything in this section. If I recollect it’s been more than 2 years since I have opened a thread on build log. To be brutally frank, my departure from ICE arena was mainly because I wasn’t enjoying it anymore. So I took a long break, spent time on other stuff like Rapid to Penguin Cosmetic makeover, Learnt a thing or two about Remaps ( Digital Vampire ), Driving Fast without breaking the car ( tadukuttan ), what is detailing all about (outsourced to baranjil), how to live life ( riyaz_cobra ) etc. and etc.. Actually the time I took off from ICE is the time, I learned a lot. About perspectives, about Egos, about pride and about people. So you could say that, I have ..err..well..kinda become ..matured in a way. I had learnt to enjoy music from crappiest of music systems, I had learnt to live on 128 kbps mp3, I had even driven long driving without powering on the music system. It may not be the best thing to hear, but it was probably what was needed for me.

My previous stint with a commercial entity may not be a great success story, but it gave me a lot of insights on different types of people. How their taste for music differs. I was lucky enough to interact with some of the finest people in Audio Industry. Home Audio crowd, Car Audio crowd, SQ Crowd, SPL Crowd, mp3 crowd, dubstep crowd, Bluetooth Crowd, Digital Crowd, Analog Crowd, RTA crowd, Alpine-is-the-Best crowd are some of the different and varied crowd subsects I have some across. Needless to say, their preferences on music and the way to hear too, was quite different.

This break from ICE, just made me much more Refined and Compact – In thoughts and in action. This break made me Taste success of Passion, This break made me forget and forgive past spats and spillovers. With so much to gain from this ICE break, let me give you a break now.

..to be continued..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14267114259671.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	203013
      Last edited by Mi10; 5th Apr 2015 at 19:35. Reason: Additions to Title
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

Audio Banned

Awesome

Looks like you are going to unleash a big one here ....
      Car Audio: 4-way active
      Home Audio: Passive

Multitasking = Screwing up
      several things at once!

Awesome

something really coming up!! interesting! good start
      TVS APACHE RTR 180 Black (2011) | Ford Figo Titanium 1.2 Diamond White (2014) - ICE'd by Harmonixx Audio Inc - DEH-80PRS | Zapco ST-1KDM | AP RAM3 | Helix H236 | Helix B4 Amp | Gladen RS-12 | AIV 4AWG | Damped with Dampmat. Installed by Top Gear Custom-Fit.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Bring it on Praveen. Have been waiting for a long time to read about your fabulous build logs.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

High End SQ setup coming soon
      !!!

Awesome

Much awaited build log from the masters of ICE.. Bring it on..

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Been missing your posts for a long time. Pity you don't write often. Subscribed!

FiiO X7 Mark II - HELIX DSP PRO MK2 - TRU Billet v2 B41-S - MOREL Elate Ti 602 - MOREL Ultimo Ti 102

venkidoesitmyself.wordpress.co
      m

Angry

ICE Maestro is Back.....waiting for more.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Logged into GH after a long time to check on after market break pads for the Fiesta. Was searching on Mi10's Fiesta and happen to see this thread. What's with the surprise? How much did you blow this time?

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

The Penguin is a car that so known and home bred at Gearheads. People recognize it instantly – Thanks to this rollicking thread:
      Mi10's Skoda 'Rapid' Fire Roulette - Now REMAPPED by CODE 6 Tuning

After a point of saturation with cosmetic and performance mods, I did yield to a minor ICE itch back in Oct 2013. I didn’t plan too much was things were brought off almost instantaneously based on availability. I had driven to hareshjethwani 's shop and asked for possibility of a P80RS II. I always wanted to own this unit, despite it coming a touch short in SQ and features when compared to the Eclipse CD7200 MK II. Picked up the Focal Integration Series component which comes with a 6db inbuilt crossover. Without slightest hesitation, threw off that crossover and connected the Mids and Tweeters in Network mode (Read 2 way active). A Simple setup that effectively served the purpose better sound than stock. I didn’t have inclination to do Damping or Amping this setup, since I wasn’t too bothered about the sound.

During mid of 2014, is when my passion got ignited again. During a chat with PZ, I happened to audition the brand of drivers called SO Audio. The first thing I noticed is it was sounding quite different from all the various brands I have heard. However, I was quite skeptical, since it was an unknown brand (like anyone would). As the talks divulged more and more info, my devil inside was getting more and more restless. Still going commercial with ICE was the last thing on my mind, especially after the fiasco of the last one. So I decided to take my own sweet time to test these drivers out. Whenever I got a chance I used to visit Power Zone and do some listening tests with different Amp and Head Unit combinations. After some 3-4 months of hearing these, I was completely convinced about the drivers potential. I was also quite conscious that i don't want to represent any mass market, run of mill brand - it just doesn't work from a enthusiast perspective. I liked the fact that these are niche, unique hand made drivers at a small scale. I liked the fact that they kept is plain and simple by just having one product offering rather than confusing people with lots of products at 10 different price points. I decided that for any enthusiast to sustain commercially, he needs to pick carefully what suits his style and taste. Because internal satisfaction more often than not will be a tacit mandate !

We were gearing up on signing the formal contract and just as luck would have it, we happened to hear about MOC competition that happened in Bangalore just 3 days before the event. After some pondering, we decided to take part in it with a simple 3 way active setup. More than the event and the competition, we wanted to check on how third parties who have zilch knowledge about the brand react to the sound signature (sort of a Blind test). PZ also wanted to compete in SPL and hence we were left with 3 night and 2 days to complete two cars. Mine was simpler of the two, since the Innova had lots of work with external batteries, 4 amps and a dozen subs. We didn’t have time to even damp the car, such was the time constraint.

The Equipment we used as follows;

Source + Processing: Pioneer P80 RS II
      Amplifiers: 1 x Celestra RA475x for Front stage
      1 x Celestra RA275 for Sub
      Midbass: SO 165-2.8
      Tweeters: SO 19 neo V
      Subwoofer: SO 250 (10”)
      RCA: Techernov Junior for Front Stage
      Sinus Live for Sub Stage
      Wiring: RF + Sinus live

Some pics of the equipment’s

Decent, Clean source on budget that can do 3 way active

Name:	IMAG0628_1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	817.3 KB 
ID:	203037

6.5" Midbass with good linear response till 5.5 Khz

Name:	IMG_9791.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	203031

Fs of 57 Hz helps in crossing over lower - I usually prefer 63 Hz @ 6/12 db slope

Name:	IMG_9808.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	203032

Honey dripping tweeters with a Fs of 990 Hz

Name:	IMG_9692_1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	543.1 KB 
ID:	203033

Our Pod for the tweeter

Name:	IMAG0631_1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	751.6 KB 
ID:	203036

After couple of taxing nights, we finally set off to Bangalore. As usual, the Penguin was so eager to fly off the block, thanks to the code 6 tune ! However our companion in Innova had a real tough time to get to respectable speeds. The weight was so much that the car just refused to go past 90 kmph. Finally we chugged our ways to the event. We met lot of our regular ICE members from Chennai and Bangalore. Since ours was relatively simple setup, we decided to participate in the SQ basic category. I was more keen on the feedback the judges as well as others presented back. Indeed it was extremely pleasing to hear good, positive feedback all around. Ultimately we ended up winning the title.

It may not be the most professionally organized event, it may not have proper rules, the prize money was not too enticing too, still we felt very happy and satisfied. Not because of the win, but because the setup was liked by most people out there.

Key Takeaways:
      • Follow your passion – with all your heart. There will be hiccups but never retreat.
      • Respect people’s efforts (some of the modded cars there were just mind blowing, although they didn’t win any prize)
      • Plan and aim for a goal that is pragmatic and achievable.
      • Be prepared to lose to win bigger goals

Some pics after our win

Your Truly, with Penguin

Name:	IMAG0569_1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	755.9 KB 
ID:	203039

SO 250 Sub in custom Enclosure, 2 Italian beauties doing the Amplification part
      Name:  IMAG0557_1.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  173.3 KB

With Saravnana from Power Zone - That Innova swept the DB drag too

Name:	IMAG0571_1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	977.1 KB 
ID:	203038

It was a excited drive back home. Although the body was tired with sleeplessness and Fatigue, the soul was just waking up for something more, something better, something bigger.

..to be continued..
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Penguin back in ICE.. Waiting for more updates.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information