Views:	28 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	208159

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	208160

The installation was done only at the front doors and took me nearly 10 Hrs, spread over a weekend to complete the work.

Stuff needed

- Puddle lamp. I used "Tufkote LLED-EE3W Eagle Eye Day Time Running Pilot Lamp (3W)" bought from Amazon.in.
      - Wires. Length as necessary.
      - Phillips/star screw driver.
      - Flat screw driver.
      - Drill to make a 10 mm diameter hole in the door panels.
      - Insulation tape, heat-shrink & zip ties.

The plan
      Tap the power for the puddle lamps from the stock cabin light, so that the puddle lamp function syncs with the cabin light. Run the power wire from the cabin light > head-liner > one of the A pillars > corner of the dash > door jamb loom > door panel. DO NOTE THE POINTS A, B, C, D & E in the below fig, which are referred later in this post.

Name:	IMG_20150609_161956.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	208168

Stuff to be removed for the installation
      Suggest to remove all below listed items before you go ahead with the wiring and drilling. However, to reduce the length of the post I am including the wiring, connection details etc. against some of the parts mentioned below.

1) Cabin lamp
      - Can be pried out as shown. The power wires (pair) for the puddle lamps can be placed between the bulb holder & its socket at the cabin lamp. Recommend soldering (if you are good at) the puddle lamp wires to the cabin lamp circuit right next to the bulb holder.

Name:  IMG_20150609_162514.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  73.2 KB

Bulb holder
      Name:  Holder.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  19.0 KB

2) Weather strip at the cabin side - Does not need to be pulled out completely. Only the section next to the A-pillar is good enough.

3) A-pillar trim panel - Held by 3 clips (approx location marked in red). Carefully pull out. It's very easy to break the clip holder at the center . Run the wire from A to B through the head-liner. B to C is easy once the A-pillar is off. Split here and send a segment towards D and E which are the points at the door panels.

Name:  IMG_20150609_162525.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  42.4 KB

4) Panel below the dash - Held by a metallic clip (marked in blue) and 5 screws (marked in red).

Name:	IMG_20150609_162909.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	208172

5) Door jamb loom - A rubber part; both ends could be pulled out fairly easily (do it carefully; do not tear) and you will see the cables going through it from the cabin to the front doors. Something as shown below; not exactly the same. Sending the wires from C to D & E can be done once the door panels and speakers are removed.

Name:  t_IB33040080.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  21.3 KB

6) Sail trim panel - This needs to be removed, in order to remove the front door panels. Rotate A (in the below pic) counter clockwise, almost half a turn to release the knob. Pull the knob (B, below) towards you to remove. Underneath you would find a press-to-release type set-up to release the adjustable lever from the plastic panel. Remove the sail trim panel by pulling carefully at the spot where the clips (marked by red circles) are located and then pulling it horizontally against the door.

Name:  IMG_20150609_162614.jpg
Size:  125.0 KB

7) Front door panel - Before you remove the door panel, find the spot where you need to install the puddle lamp. Make sure it doesn't mess up with the door, weather strip etc while you open/close the doors.

Held by a combination of screws (in red) and clips (in blue, approx nos). Screws are located under the below shown caps and a couple at the bottom of the panel. All are of the star type. The caps could be easily remove with a flat screw driver. Cover it with a piece of soft cloth or insulation tape to avoid scratches on the panels. Once all the screws are removed, insert your hand (covered by a cloth) in between the door panel & the door, run it from the bottom to the side top. You will hear a lot of loud cracking noises, while the clips come loose. Once all 3 sides (bottom and the 2 sides) are released, lift the panel upward and the door panel comes off. You will have to release the power window connector (held by a clip) and the door unlock lever (again on a clip). This should get the door panel off completely.

Name:  IMG_20150609_162608.jpg
Size:  97.0 KB

Screw caps
      Name:  IMG_20150609_162555.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  36.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_20150609_162559.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  31.8 KB

Make the 10 mm hole using a drill at the initially spotted location. Install the puddle lamp, hand tightening the provided nut should be enough. Though 10 mm is the exact size of this LED housing, I have used a rubber washer for a perfect seal.

8) Speaker - Held by 4 star screws. Connector clip to be removed before taking it out of it's enclosure completely.

Align the door panel back for re-installation. By now the puddle lamp wires would have reached point D where you need to connect the terminals of it to the power wires coming from the cabin light through the door jamb loom to the door. You will have to make a small cut at a preferred spot, in the vapour barrier (plastic covering underneath the door plastic door panel) to connect the earlier said set of wires. DO NOTE THE POLARITY while you connect them. Perform the same steps for the passenger side front door (point E). For this, additionally, you would need to remove the glove box lid. It is very easy and I believe the steps are available in the owners' manual. Power wires to run through the dash from C to E. Insulate all connections securely using tape & heat shrink and use zip tie wherever necessary.

Spot chosen
      Name:  4.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  72.9 KB

The clearance

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	208179

Guess I have covered pretty much everything I did. Do point out, if I missed any.

NOTE
      - DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL BEFORE STARTING ANY ELECTRICAL WORK ON YOUR CAR.

DISCLAIMER
      - This thread is for knowledge sharing. Should you want to try the same, please do it at your own risk.
      - The installation was done on Ford Figo ZXi (non-electrically adjustable ORVMs & power windows). Necessary changes to installation steps would be applicable on models with electrically adjustable ORVMs & non-power windows.

Mods, please move/merge this to other section/thread if needed.
      Last edited by alexshom; 9th Jun 2015 at 20:39. Reason: Set the pics right
      Ford Figo TDCi ZXI May '12 | Hyundai Accent CRDi Nov '05 | Honda Unicorn Mar '10 | Hero Honda Passion Sept '02

<invisible>

Awesome

Thanks for sharing this work buddy. A lot of work and you did it quite a neat way and look. Cool.
      Would it be easier to have light on side mirror than door , like in the video shared by someone on another thread in the forum (not able to get to that post , Sorry ) ? If it can stay on with delay technique, may be further useful...

"Omelette du
      fromage"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
      Would it be easier to have light on side mirror than door , like in the video shared by someone on another thread in the forum
      The one here?
      DIY done by the members so far. - Page 15

The reason I didn't do it on the ORVMs is because of the risk of water/moisture entering through and start rusting. One can go ahead with this idea, if confident enough to seal the OVRM panels post the installation.

The mirror & its panel is held in place by a 10 mm regular bolt, T25 bolt & a small press-to-release type plastic clip. The body coloured part on the ORVM can be pried out to make the wiring/drilling easier. Do check the space for puddle lamp installation on the inside of the mirrors on both the sides before finalising the drilling spot, as they are not symmetrical.

Quote Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
      If it can stay on with delay technique, may be further useful...
      As mentioned in the initial post, the puddle lamp is in sync with the cabin light and below are some of the conditions for it to light up & turn off, while it works on the door switch mode.
      - Lights up when all doors/tailgate are closed & unlocked via remote/key. Dims off after about 30 secs or so.
      - Turns off when all doors/tailgate are closed & locked via remote/key.
      - Turns off when all doors/tailgate are closed & key is moved to the ignition position.
      - Turns on when one of the doors/tailgate is opened though the key is in ignition position.
      - Turns off when all doors/tailgate are closed and locked from the inside via the lever.

Assume points 1 & 2 should give the function you were referring to ... turn off & turn on the puddle lamp remotely when needed, right?
      Last edited by alexshom; 10th Jun 2015 at 10:48.
      Ford Figo TDCi ZXI May '12 | Hyundai Accent CRDi Nov '05 | Honda Unicorn Mar '10 | Hero Honda Passion Sept '02

<invisible>

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by alexshom View Post
      turn off & turn on the puddle lamp remotely when needed, right
      You got me right. Thanks for the clarity. All these DIY though look easy, it is not that. I always appreciate the details cared to ensure the pro quality in DIY like this, which really is inspiring.

Detailing on my mind..

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by alexshom View Post
      Puddle Lamp on Ford Figo - DIY Installation
      woow ..Thank you for writing such wonderfully detailed tutorial.
      Now after reading this, its on my to do list the moment i get a chance.

Coasting...

Awesome

alexshom

Nice work, clean install; made the whole thing seem easy. Should be very useful.

just asking.... is there a plan to do the same for the rear doors?

"Omelette du
      fromage"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by derfaultier View Post
      is there a plan to do the same for the rear doors?
      Nope. After spending time on this project, I am banned from spending time near the car unless it is to drive or a 10 min cleaning session before a drive

Seriously, I was too tired after getting this done. Moreover installing it on the rear door needs the kick panel (which runs from the front to the rear), B-pillar trim panel (maybe), seat belt anchor (maybe) removal. Was not confident to take up that much of work.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

On a safari 3.0 we have individual red/door open LED lights for each door. front has factory puddle lamps and rear doesn't. can I pull power from those LED's(I think it is an array of 10 LED's)
      for SUMO Victa Di Turbo GX I want to add puddle lamps by using the "White LED Strips", tape them with wide transparent tape and should check wiring if doors receive individual power for door open like safari.

Thread Information