• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handbrake seems to get stuck

Yawn!

Awesome

Handbrake seems to get stuck

Hello all,

I have been seeing a peculiar problem with my Linea for a few weeks now.

Each time I park the car in the apartment garage, I park it in neutral and engage the handbrake. The next morning, the car feels like something is holding it back a little whether I use the reverse gear or the first gear. If I give it a little more throttle, there is a clunking sound from the wheels and the car moves.

I do not see this problem or hear the sound when I park the car in the office, or anywhere else. When I disengage the hand brake the car moves easily as if nothing was blocking it. I see this problem only at the apartment.

When a Fiat SA had come over to see the car, the problem mysteriously vanished that morning. I have also seen sometimes that if I switch off the engine and engage the first gear, the car moves a bit and comes to a stop. If I change to neutral and use the handbrake, the wheels aren't so tightly held the next morning and the clunking sound is lesser.

What could be the problem?
      | Hero Honda Splendor 2000 | Royal Enfield Thunderbird 2002 | Maruti Suzuki Baleno 2000 | Fiat Linea 2014

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by arunj View Post
      Each time I park the car in the apartment garage, I park it in neutral and engage the handbrake.
      Why use handbrakes on flat ground? Its enough to park in first gear with handbrakes off. Handbrakes are need only as a security when you park on slopes. I think you are pulling the lever until it goes no further.
      When I park I engage first gear and pull the handbrake just 3 clicks to keep the links from getting stuck in the winter. In the summer I hardly use the handbrakes.

Yawn!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      Why use handbrakes on flat ground? Its enough to park in first gear with handbrakes off. Handbrakes are need only as a security when you park on slopes
      The parking is on a slight slope, and it has become a habit to engage the handbrake. There were times when I forgot that the car was engaged in first gear and started it. So...

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      When I park I engage first gear and pull the handbrake just 3 clicks to keep the links from getting stuck in the winter.
      I don't engage the handbrake all the way, just a click to stop it from moving.
      | Hero Honda Splendor 2000 | Royal Enfield Thunderbird 2002 | Maruti Suzuki Baleno 2000 | Fiat Linea 2014

When the light's go out, the
      bullshit stops!!

Awesome

Does Linea have rear disk brakes? If yes, get the brake serviced! I had faced a similar issue with my i20. Got the brake serviced and the issue was resolved.

Even otherwise, get it serviced, there is a possiblility of your rear brakes binding!
      When the lights go off! The ******** stops!! ... Mark Sanjay

Yawn!

Awesome

The funny thing is that this problem didn't crop up till I moved to another apartment. And it always (well, almost) happens only when I take the car out of the parking spot. And no, I cannot change apartments so soon!

If someone can tell me what could cause this to happen, then maybe I could explain it to the Fiat guys again. The two times I showed it to a Fiat SA, there was no sound.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

The funny thing is that this problem didn't crop up till I moved to another apartment. And it always (well, almost) happens only when I take the car out of the parking spot. And no, I cannot change apartments so soon!

If someone can tell me what could cause this to happen, then maybe I could explain it to the Fiat guys again. The two times I showed it to a Fiat SA, there was no sound.
      Is it basement parking? Or there may be some other reasons for high humidity in your parking.
      It may be rust.. Get the rear brakes cleaned.

Yawn!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by muztariq View Post
      Is it basement parking? Or there may be some other reasons for high humidity in your parking.
      It may be rust.. Get the rear brakes cleaned.
      It is basement parking, but the humidity isn't high. I take the car out almost everyday so if it is rust then it should not be building up so much to cause this problem, would it?

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

It is basement parking, but the humidity isn't high. I take the car out almost everyday so if it is rust then it should not be building up so much to cause this problem, would it?
      Rust forms almost instantly! I would park my car, wash it, and by the time I dry it I can see rust beginning to form - (brake disks will start browning over ever so slightly).

I wouldn't worry about it.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

After 9 hours a completely clean machine looked so much rusted that we used a polybag to collect the rust. This is how rust grows overtime and a change of just 10% humidity can play havoc on materials prone to rust.
      In your case the brakes are prone to rust. Clean them and park for a few days on ground floor to see for yourself.
      You cant make out the difference in humidity if it is 70% in place of 50%.. You need a hygrometer to do the same.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

It is basement parking, but the humidity isn't high.
      I dont think humidity has anything to do with it if at all something is wrong with your brakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information