• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S-Cross Launched at 8.34

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by WildWeasel View Post
      (Read - The S-Cross ddis 320 top end @ 12 Lakhs on road) cross-overs in the near future
      OT. That won't happen. In India prices never fall, and only go upward in case of cars (and real estate). MS might offer some discount, but would never decrease MRP of their only premium offering. S-Cross DDIS 320 is a brand building exercise for them. It is a step in that direction. If only they could bring Kizashi and GV back under Nexa, alongwith India based local manufacturing and non-premium pricing. Would that happen? Never. That doesn't happen in India. Examples are other luxury brands (Merc, BMW), which converted their CBU models to local assembling, and still no price decrease, or insignificant price reduction for their customer, but they just pocketed all the profits from CBU to local assembling.

Gearhead

Hungry

People who have checked out S Cross, please enlighten me why S Cross is a cross over and not a big hatch - like Fiesta or Golf.

1. If it is due to ground clearance, Punto has 200+mm GC as compared 180mm of S Cross.

2. If it is due to looks, then sorry it is as macho looking as Cross Polo, Etios Cross, Avventura etc.- nothing more nothing less. Skoda Yeti, Nissan Terrano etc. are much more rugged looking.

3. Only thing that I could make out that it has got a high seating position, unlike normal hatch.

4. It does not have AWD nor some common feature available in some cars like hill hold etc.

IMHO this cross over thing was to give the car a niche identity and is nothing but hype. All show no go.

Anyway, considering the overall price, dynamics and feautures of the car, DDiS200 Zeta seemed to be the only sensible option. But even for this model, one of the major hurdle would be the steering design.

Let me explain:

This car would be bought by only those people with a good understanding/love for automobile. Normal mango people would anyway pick a Ciaz/City/Creta over it without blinking an eye. Now for these people steering is not just a circular object - it is the thing which keep him connected with the car. Now for a 11-12 lakh OTR car, this steering (the vital part that allow him to control the car) is picked up from a 4-5 lakh Celerio car.

For me this is blasphemy, because I can not easily get rid of it. Those horrible looking alloys can be easily replaced (Revenge Momo alloy wheels would be delicious alternative), hideous grill can be blackened out, heck even those cheap looking switches can be easily given CF treatment. But airbag equipped steering is not easy to replace (AFAIK).
      Last edited by sanguine; 7th Aug 2015 at 12:00.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

because of the freshness
      You may be right. Not sure Duster / Terrano / EcoSport are here for last 3 years. And With all these pricing EcoSport has started looking an amazing VFM product. I am wondering if Ford is going to re-assess their EcoSport pricing and raise it by 1L or so.

Having said all that (freshness etc) - it still has to be packaged well to give that feeling. I mean, you can't mark-up by 40% for a car like S-Cross. I have seen this car in person in Phoenix mall, and it doesn't look massively different than lets say I20 Active. To me I20 Active is more sporty and nice looking vehicle with great build quality and features than a 17L OTR S-Cross.

I understand Maruti is going extra mile and introducing Nexa showrooms concept - but people want to buy the car, not their showroom.

Additionally, imagine what Swift and Ertiga buyers will think of this change. When they shell out 8L for a car, don't they deserve to be treated well? If I go to a normal MS showroom now, I'll feel like I am going to a below par showroom which even MS considers third grade. I am not on-board with their Nexa concept at all.

They should have tried what M&M has done - give special treatment to XUV and Sassyong buyers. Its the same showroom, but if you are buying a high-end car (and not only a high-end price alone), you are eligible to special care even for after-sales. Big THUMBS DOWN to Maruti Suzuki for their strategy on bifurcating their prospective customers and on basis of class! I wasn't a Maruti Suzuki fan - but this move has turned me into an MS - hater.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      OT. That won't happen. In India prices never fall, and only go upward in case of cars (and real estate).
      Kizashi prices were slashed. Honda Jazz Prices were slashed. Tata Aria prices slashed.

Quote Originally Posted by sanguine View Post
      Punto has 200+mm GC as compared 180mm of S Cross.
      Nope Punto has 195 mm ground clearance. Avventura has 205 mm GC. Some of the proper SUV also don't have more than 200mm. For that matter XUV has only 185mm ground clearance

why S Cross is a cross over and not a big hatch
      None of these. That's how Maruti Suzuki positions / portrays it atleast in advertisement. To me Aria is the only proper Crossover !

4. It does not have AWD nor some common feature available in some cars like hill hold etc.
      To me AWD necessarily doesn't have to be on a Crossover. May be it could have been a feature on the top end. And FYI, its not a common feature available in the cars.
      Now for a 11-12 lakh OTR car, this steering (the viatl part that allow him to control the car) is picked up from a 4-5 lakh Celerio car.
      200% agree ! But that's Maruti you & we know of

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Kizashi prices were slashed. Honda Jazz Prices were slashed. Tata Aria prices slashed.
      Kisahi prices were not slashed, but discounted to clear inventry at dealers.
      Yes, Jazz prices were slashed, but when Honda brought it back, it removed all the good stuff, and again priced it on the higher side.
      Tata Aria prices were not slashed, it was lower variants which were introduced later at lower prices. If I rememeber correctly, Aria 4x4 Pride used to cost 17.xx L OTR bangalore at launch time. Now, without discounts, it is 19L OTR Bangalore.

For that matter XUV has only 185mm ground clearance
      Add to the list. Scorpio is just 180 mm.

To me Aria is the only proper Crossover !
      What about XUV? Is that not a proper crossover. Does the crossover has to be a BOF and not monocoque?

And FYI, its not a common feature available in the cars.
      I think you add to forget India. In Japan, almost all cars used to have AWD options available, even the 600cc ones as well. Anywhere where it snows, AWD is essential and too common.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

I am typically not a car basher. Even Fiat Punto which is hated by many is not in my "cars-to-hate" list. S-Cross just made a grand entry there. Ridiculous as it was.

The way I see it as - Maruti is making money from their 2nd grade showrooms and fueling that money to sustain the showrooms like Nexa which their "premium" customer would hardly visit. Do they have cute / pretty sales assistants there? That could be a motivation - you never know!

I think we should rename this thread to "S-Cross - Don't buy the car"!

Racechip ... loving every mile
      with a smile :-)

Awesome

Keeping S-Cross aside, assuming maruti has now started using the 1.6L diesel mill, i am praying they plonk this on the swift! That would make a good buy!
      My guess is even if they source the 1.6L engine to the Swift the prices will shoot up beyond 10lac mark .. taking away the value proposition that that swift is known for.

Pedal to the Metal....

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      I understand Maruti is going extra mile and introducing Nexa showrooms concept - but people want to buy the car, not their showroom.
      I am guessing few things here :

Maruti may have plans to enter the 16-20L segment soon or planning to throw some "luxury" in their upcoming models.

They may not want people to see other cars when one visits NEXA (atleast for now), so chances of booking SCROSS is higher.

With NEXA they may not franchise it to someone and spoil "MARUTI's" image, so probably a home-run business venture.

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Do they have cute / pretty sales assistants there?
      I am sure they will and hope they accompany us for TDs especially
      '14 Suzuki Swift VDi
      ICE - Done (Pioneer AVH-X5790BT, Helix B4 Amp, Helix H236 2-way Component system, Rainbow SL-S12 subwoofer, Dampmat)

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Kisahi prices were not slashed, but discounted to clear inventry at dealers.
      Yes, Jazz prices were slashed, but when Honda brought it back, it removed all the good stuff, and again priced it on the higher side.
      Tata Aria prices were not slashed, it was lower variants which were introduced later at lower prices. If I rememeber correctly, Aria 4x4 Pride used to cost 17.xx L OTR bangalore at launch time. Now, without discounts, it is 19L OTR Bangalore.
      Yes to the end customer, prices were reduced

Add to the list. Scorpio is just 180 mm.
      Yup just gave an example of XUV. All likes of SUV has the same lines of GC.

What about XUV? Is that not a proper crossover. Does the crossover has to be a BOF and not monocoque?
      To me XUV is more a Softroader like Honda CR-V just with aggressive looks of a SUV. I don't think Chassis by any means defines a vehicle type as such a Crossover or SUV. To me Aria fits is a perfect crossover in terms of practicality, looks, features, etc.

I think you add to forget India.
      Yup sorry, pretty much India !

Quote Originally Posted by abhinit.hazarika View Post
      taking away the value proposition that that swift is known for.
      Swift is not a VFM car ! Its damn costly for what it offers. And it doesn't deem the Luxury sticker which is tagged to it by Maruti !
      Last edited by Lvramanan; 7th Aug 2015 at 14:15.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

People who have checked out S Cross, please enlighten me why S Cross is a cross over and not a big hatch - like Fiesta or Golf.
      Who told it's a cross-over? Apart from the 'Smoking' Maruti guys nobody else is terming it as cross-over. For everybody else it's a big-hatch.
      TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information