• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Ikon 2002 Endura Engine

Wish I had time-machince!

Angry

Ford Ikon 2002 Endura Engine

Hi Folks,

I have Ford Ikon 2002 make, which has Endure Engine. Few months back I had coolant leakage, which eventually lead to engine overheating. Vehicle breakdown on a holiday forced me to get it serviced at near by local garage. Head gasket, thermostat and valves were replaced. Since then the Engine rhythm completely changed, pickup seems to be less and with A/C on the car gets shutoff suddenly. The mechanic who did the work mentioned that the Engine tuning need to be done after it runs for few days.

After running it for few days coolant hose started leaking due to cracks, which I replaced it myself. Following things need to be addressed:

1. Engine tuning / valve adjustment
      2. Coolant circulation and blockages if any
      3. Shutdown when A/C is ON
      4. Loss of pickup

I am from Hyderabad. Would be grateful if you can suggest a good Ford mechanic nearby L.B Nagar.

Thanks!

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by neoscorp View Post
      After running it for few days coolant hose started leaking due to cracks
      This used to be a problem in Malaysia. Could it be because of the hot weather? My brother had a Fiat 1500 in the 60s and he had trouble with cracked hoses. Most of the breakdowns were either overheating or punctures those days.
      You might want to check all the water hoses in your car and replace them if they are hard or cracked. Your should also glance at your temperature gauge and oil light once in a while when driving.
      Did he check the cylinder head for warping? Did he have them skimmed?

Angry

You might want to check all the water hoses in your car and replace them if they are hard or cracked. Your should also glance at your temperature gauge and oil light once in a while when driving.
      I always keep an eye on the coolant temperature. Since the head gasket was changed, I've not changed the engine oil. Its due for overhaul.

Did he check the cylinder head for warping? Did he have them skimmed?
      Yes, the head was skimmed. Its hard to get an experienced and professional mechanics here !
      Authorised service centre guys say its better to exchange and buy a new car since spare parts availability could be an issue.
      But I wish to make the car back to normal.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

neoscorp.. Sounds like you will have to do a complete engine rebuild. Pls have a wet and dry compression test done to confirm. The cost of the rebuild will cost you more than what the car is worth unfortunately!
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      neoscorp.. Sounds like you will have to do a complete engine rebuild. Pls have a wet and dry compression test done to confirm. The cost of the rebuild will cost you more than what the car is worth unfortunately!
      What would be the cost and reliability of rebuilding the Engine ? And let me know what is involved in the process ?

Global Moderator
      auto-correct!

Awesome

What would be the cost and reliability of rebuilding the Engine ? And let me know what is involved in the process ?
      Impossible to say without knowing the scope of work involved but can easily cost between 50k - 1lac (Rebore and new pistons or Resleeve and existing pistons.. condition of crank, bearings, head, valves etc.) Parts for the endure engine may be difficult to come by - and even if you do they will be expensive. Cheaper option may be to find a woking engine from the salvage market.

Reliability will depend on where you are getting the job done. (will be limited if you limit yourself geographically to LB Nagar and its environs). 007 will be able to guide you as to where you can get a decent rebuild done in Hyd.

First step is to diagnose...get the compression test done.
      Last edited by kb100; 26th Sep 2015 at 15:29.

Angry

Thanks for your response.
      Where can we get the compression test done ?
      I would like to witness the process and visit the garage whenever time permits. Far places prohibit me from doing this.
      Shall contact 007.
      Last edited by neoscorp; 26th Sep 2015 at 15:49.

Global Moderator
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Where can we get the compression test done ?
      Any decent garage will be able to do it. Just ask the garages in your neighbourhood if they can. If not, take it to the ASS - they can.

All you need is the tool. They remove the spark plug, screw the gauge in its place and crank the engine. The gauge will then show the reading. Simple really. There are a lot of videos on You Tube. Here is one ..
      Last edited by kb100; 26th Sep 2015 at 23:13.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      Any decent garage will be able to do it. Just ask the garages in your neighbourhood if they can. If not, take it to the ASS - they can.
      Sure, shall get it checked. Thanks for the information. Hope the Engine passes compression test. All I have is hope!

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

The person who changed the head gasket probably botched the job. Knowing what I do of how people fix overheated engines in Hyderabad, your head probably has been shaven by an unnecessarily large amount. That is material you cannot put back. The only way you can determine whether the engine is salvageable is by asking the mechanic exactly how much material was removed. Anything over 0.25 mm is bad news. It's even worse if the guy cannot give you a concrete figure.

Without detailed information about this head gasket change, I cannot be of much help. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information