• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Orange Cheetah!!! - Mahindra XUV 500 W10 AWD

To go quick, you need to know
      when and how to go slow

Angry

Is there anywhere to procure a parcel tray for the XUV500 (with the last row folded).
      Fuel in the veins....
      Polo GT TSI
      Fortuner AWD
      Ciaz ZDi
      Cruze AT,Swift ZDi - code6d,A-Star AT
      Baleno RedRoosetered,Hyundai i10 1.1
      Zen Estilo, Zen D, 800 MPFi

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by SGM View Post
      Is there anywhere to procure a parcel tray for the XUV500 (with the last row folded).
      Such product is not yet launched even though they've provided Mounting Tabs since inception.

Awesome

Hello guys. I am looking to buy the W10 FWD MT variant this April. Would like to know your longterm ownership experience. I am buying from Trivandrum. Would like to know how the service in Trivandrum or Kochi is.

To go quick, you need to know
      when and how to go slow

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by drnikhil94 View Post
      Hello guys. I am looking to buy the W10 FWD MT variant this April. Would like to know your longterm ownership experience. I am buying from Trivandrum. Would like to know how the service in Trivandrum or Kochi is.
      Mine, though AWD = has done about 44000 kms now, in approx 20 months. And so far, there has been no major niggles. There were a few minor ones with infotainment and so on, which Mahindra has been very good at sorting out. Other than the routine service, the car has been mostly good. But if you are coming from a Japanese/German car like I was, please be prepared to own an Indian SUV and accept its minor quirks here and there.

Also the issues with the rattling of the older cars- I did not have much of a problem. There were some, but not as bad as the older ones. I'd done damping on all the doors as a part of my audio upgrade, which has further reduced outside noise coming in even. Would recommend anyone with an XUV to do a basic damping.

Regarding service, I am not sure about Thiruvananthapuram, as I have not visited the service centre there. But the one in Cochin was good and I have been there a couple of times. The one in Kottayam is also decent, though having a good connect with your SM would help at both the places.
      Fuel in the veins....
      Polo GT TSI
      Fortuner AWD
      Ciaz ZDi
      Cruze AT,Swift ZDi - code6d,A-Star AT
      Baleno RedRoosetered,Hyundai i10 1.1
      Zen Estilo, Zen D, 800 MPFi

Awesome

Just noticed that the speeds you're driving in Gear (1st post photos) are quite lugging the engine. That would coke the engine and destroy it pretty soon.

Here are recommended cruising speeds per gear-
      1- Launch or large speed breakers
      2- Till 35 KMPH or Small speed breakers
      3- 40~50
      4- 60~70
      5- 80~100
      60 110 and beyond.

These are Economy shifts. Performance shifts are very aggressive in upper 3 gears.

love my country and love my
      vehicles

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      Just noticed that the speeds you're driving in Gear (1st post photos) are quite lugging the engine. That would coke the engine and destroy it pretty soon.

Here are recommended cruising speeds per gear-
      1- Launch or large speed breakers
      2- Till 35 KMPH or Small speed breakers
      3- 40~50
      4- 60~70
      5- 80~100
      60 110 and beyond.

These are Economy shifts. Performance shifts are very aggressive in upper 3 gears.
      Could you please elaborate your point? what I understand is that do not change gears quickly till the time u attain a specific speed? Secondly coking up means what exactly with reference to gear changes?
      regards

Awesome

XUV engine is meant for speed (as name suggests- Cheetah) and its really designed to deliver at slightly Higher RPM. If you've never revved your engine till 3.5k RPM in 3rd and 4th gear- You're really missing some serious fun buddy.

I saw from your shots that you driver at 40 in 4th and just 60 in 6th! Thats just IDLE rpm and you're lugging the engine heavily. A diesel never loves to be lugged and will soon destroy it.

Watch this video to the end and see what sir Andrew White has so say about lugging (Its in the middle of video somwhere)-

awesome video.

vehicles

Awesome

XUV engine is meant for speed (as name suggests- Cheetah) and its really designed to deliver at slightly Higher RPM. If you've never revved your engine till 3.5k RPM in 3rd and 4th gear- You're really missing some serious fun buddy.

I saw from your shots that you driver at 40 in 4th and just 60 in 6th! Thats just IDLE rpm and you're lugging the engine heavily. A diesel never loves to be lugged and will soon destroy it.

Watch this video to the end and see what sir Andrew White has so say about lugging (Its in the middle of video somwhere)-

awesome video.
      Nice video....highly educative. But still my question is unanswered...what exactly is "coking" up with reference to gear change? As far as I know lugging is at times unavoidable because of gear ratio and traffic conditions including road. if I am not wrong and have understood Mr White correctly making lugging an habit is not good for the engine. I agree XUV is absolutely delight at higher speeds but for that one does not have to revv the engine at 3.5-4k.....it easily attains speed gradually just under 2k rpm. I do agree, opening up the accelerator during running in, as it is required for the engine but making it a driving habit ...think again!!
      Secondly XUV or for that matter any diesel engine produces high torque which is not good for clutch in lower gears. My take on starting from red light would be go slow in first and second gears and then third onward can attain better speed (let the petrol guys move ahead we catch them in third gear).
      Thirdly more RPM at lower speeds will kick in the turbo which I feel should be avoided unless you are overtaking, as frequent use of turbo and not following the idling rule for a minute before switching off the engine may coke up the turbo.
      Gurus....need clarification on this as I may be 100% wrong and eventually learn a new thing!
      Regards

Awesome

1>These two videos will show what exactly happens when lugging Engine-

1st video is practical demonstration how its hurting the turbo.
      2nd video clears the theory and explains very well.

I am not exactly guru at internal engine operations. But what I understand is it lets coke/Carbon build up inside engine, which means you use more fuel and inefficient burning. Over time, this habit will destroy the engine by destroying pistons etc.

Higher EGT (Exhaust Gas temperature) very quickly kills the turbo.

2>Now moving on,
      I have personal experience, where I have suggested people who have felt their engines as "DULL" and consuming more fuel- I suggested to take a nice blast on Highway at 120+. They came back happy that their Engines opened up very well.

When I brought i10, it was extremely dull and unresponsive. I Blasted the beast till 140 and now , its very nice & peppy.

3> Gear change relates to the Engine RPM. Engine RPM relates to Lugging. Lugging relates to Coking. Coking means build up of carbon, Gunk, Oil droplets inside engine block.

4> Lugging will be unavoidable only if you run out of lower gears. Many I times I drive in traffic in 1st. And I have to shuffle a lot between 1st and 2nd. Its a task and I do miss AT at those times. But as an enthusiast, I love shifting gears and knowing that I can save my engine/turbo by this good habit makes me happy.

5> My XUV engine does not feel right below 1800 RPM. You can hear turbo struggling. I downshift at 1500 max. Only cruising is allowed at 1500 and not revving up.

6> There are TWO types of driving style.
      At times You STOMP the pedal to metal at 2k Rpm, and take it to 3 or 4k RPM. This is useful for overtaking. Esp on two way undivided roads.

At times, you come to 1.8k or 2k RPM, Gradually raise speeds to 2.5k RPM. THEN only you upshift. This is useful for highway cruising.

I use both for my cars as when needed.

7> The OEM clutch is designed to handle all torque till 330NM (And beyond for margin). So unless you're half clutching, it will not affect. My XuV has done 67k Kms on Stock clutch. And SVC guys expect it to last 1lac km or more.

8> I go slow from Traffic lights to let all the scum go ahed. I do that to save myself from the scratches and not for clutch etc.

9> Not using the turbo. This is wrong method. Turbo is always spinning. revving up opens up the VGT vanes. Just like you exercise for getting better biceps, use the turbo. Let it be well lubricated. Let it spin freely.

10> Idling rule is important. Both Before starting and before stopping. Family finds it hard to understand. They think I am doing time pass in car. I often set GPS/ Music when idling.
      Last edited by bhvm; 28th Apr 2017 at 10:42.

vehicles

Awesome

But what I understand is it lets coke/Carbon build up inside engine, which means you use more fuel and inefficient burning. Over time, this habit will destroy the engine by destroying pistons etc.
      Agreed point taken and well understood but again if the driver is flooring the pedal at low RPMs then he is making the engine work harder causing engine lugging. and gradual opening up of pedal isn't lugging (.31 of first video). The best example I think is fully loaded truck trying to move up slope with loads of black unburnt fuel as smoke in first gear and still not able to move up despite driver using the pedal fully.
      nice blast on Highway
      Agreed and well taken but what I understand is that you don't have to exactly take a "blast"...long drive reaching good optimum temperature for a sustained time with good speed actually reduces carbon build up due to city traffic drive.
      Gear change relates to the Engine RPM. Engine RPM relates to Lugging. Lugging relates to Coking
      Only if a driver is flooring the pedal at lower RPM he's lugging which amounts to hammering of pistons, inconsistent ignition timing, high exhaust gas temp resulting in coking.
      My XUV engine does not feel right below 1800 RPM
      Well I guess you are using more pedal and thus sound of turbo...My XUV does the same if I try and use more pedal. On highways I drive generally upto 110 kmph and RPM hardly reaches 2k. Result excellent fuel economy (Did some research today....data taken 02 Jan 17 to 28 Apr 17. Preceding 4 months distance covered 3986 kms, fuel filled 228.26 in tank, start km reading 12889 Km end reading 16875 Km total distrance covered 3986 kms avg obtained= 17.46 KMPL out of this highway driving was 2488 kms and city driving was 1498 kms still I have fuel left in tank DTE 223km). The point is my driving style is very similar to the photographs pointed out regarding gear shift but I never floor the pedal and make my engine struggle ....if I was lugging the engine I wouldn't have got this FE.
      At times, you come to 1.8k or 2k RPM, Gradually raise speeds to 2.5k RPM. THEN only you upshift. This is useful for highway cruising.
      absolutely!!
      The OEM clutch is designed to handle all torque till 330NM
      My point was be gentle to it, have seen lots of guys at red light just revving their engines to get ahead....what for? We catch such drivers just a little ahead at next red light by gently moving.
      I go slow from Traffic lights to let all the scum go ahead. I do that to save myself from the scratches and not for clutch etc.
      That's the best policy...rouges go ahead we are better slow!
      Not using the turbo. This is wrong method.
      Am owning a diesel car for the first time for that matter a turbocharged vehicle so my knowledge is very limited as far as turbo is concerned, but have been following the idling rule however its not that turbo isn't used... on overtaking it does get kicked on.
      Lastly please do not take these points as if I am trying to show my knowledge and prove a point...its just the greed of learning more.
      regards

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information