• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: My New Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4 Astern Black

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      is Rameshwaram to Bangalore possible in a single day?
      With your experiences I would say it would be difficult. its approximately a 600km / 10 hour drive excluding breaks. Forget the kids, you yourself won't be able to cope up with the tiredness.

I would suggest to take a break on return journey also at Madurai. For local attractions you can either visit Thirumalai Nayakkar Mahal in Madurai / Ayiram Kaal Mandapam in Madurai / Dindigul Rock fort enroute / Thadikombu Perumal Temple enroute. There are a couple of falls (Silver Cascade Falls or Thalaiyar Falls) if you're interested to visit, but they're a big detour from your route back to Bangalore and you've to go bit far inside Dindigul, there by increasing your road trip time, hence I didn't suggest them.

Don't forget to visit APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial in Rameswaram. If you've time, please visit Dhanushkodi. Your Safari is a 4x4 I believe and it can make it comfortably there. You might have to drive around a bit on the beach sands while you're close to Dhanushkodi (a couple of kms)

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post

Don't forget to visit APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial in Rameswaram. If you've time, please visit Dhanushkodi. Your Safari is a 4x4 I believe and it can make it comfortably there. You might have to drive around a bit on the beach sands while you're close to Dhanushkodi (a couple of kms)
      thanks. I will consider to take a break at madurai on the way back too.

Main purpose of visiting Rameshwaram is Dhanushkodi. and I think now there a a motorable road up until Dhanushkod, so any car can go till Dhanushkodi.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

speed79

you may route your trip as Bangalore - Salem - Tanjavur - Rameshvaram - Madurai - Bengalore. This way your time is better utilized and driving fatigue gets reduced.

Day 1: Bangalore - Salem - Tanjavur:

Visit Maratha Fort, Library, Museum and Big Temple, Stay

Day 2: Tanjavur - Rameshvaram

Visit sites, dhanushkodi and temple in the night

Day 3:

again visit the temple in the early morning (spatika linga darshan, have bath in different wells, visit temple, then go to Dhankushkodi again if you wish,
      Drive to Madurai, reach by evening, visit temple, stay in madurai.

Day 4:

Visit temple again, visit the fort, do some shopping, have lunch
      drive back to Bangalore by night

If you have already visited Tanjavur, then visit Trichy, Kumbhakonam or Chettinadu ( aka Kanadukathan) during onward trip.

Last edited by Nomad; 13th Oct 2019 at 20:20.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Main purpose of visiting Rameshwaram is Dhanushkodi. and I think now there a a motorable road up until Dhanushkod, so any car can go till Dhanushkodi.
      The last couple of kms is still in a beach soil. There's good tarmac till the last kms until before you hit the beach.
      Last edited by Lvramanan; 14th Oct 2019 at 07:40.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Nomad and Lvramanan gave right suggestions. Do stop once on return as well. Nomad's plan looks good. Should work out easily without any fatigue.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      you may route your trip as Bangalore - Salem - Tanjavur - Rameshvaram - Madurai - Bengalore. This way your time is better utilized and driving fatigue gets reduced.
      While the trip was on verge iof being cancelled as my wife could not afford to take leave on Nov 02, i pre-poned the trip by 2 days, after taking 2 more leaves from office. Booked hotels at increased prices. Decided to take directly to Rameshwaram via Madurai as i felt it is won't be too much for me.

Started at 6:00 AM on 29 October from Bangalore to Madurai. Reached Madurai at about 12:30 PM. The drive was good and traffic on Highway was not much, it being a working day (Tuesday) and being an odd day for travel. We needed some place to eat, so entered Madurai city. Google took though some really bad roads (narrow road and then smelly road along the river). Had lunch in 2 places in Madurai (2 different restaurants for kids and us). At around 2 PM started for Rameshwaram. It was beautiful drive, with spells of heavy rain and dark clouds in the sky. At around 5:15 PM we reached Rameshwaram, checked into Hyatt Place, order some snacks for kids and us, and took bathe. By the time we were ready to go, it was already 7 PM. We could only visit Ramnathaswami temple. It was huge, the largest temple i have been to. I think it is one of the 4 dham temples. After temple visit retired for the day.

We had planned for Dhanushkodi for Oct 30 morning 6 AM, but had to drop as i could not get anyone else to wake-up. So had a lazy breakfast, everyone took bathe and at around 11 AM we set out for Dhanushkodi. The weather was pleasant and beautiful clouds and spell of heavy rain on the way to Dhanushkodi. Once we reached Dhanushkodi (the ghost town), we came to know that Police were not allowing any vehicle to access last 3-4 kms. When we asked the reason, the policemen said that road is broken and is being repaired. So we took a stroll on the beach, and tried to go towards the Dhanushkodi point from there. We had hardly gone half km that we could see heavy rain in the distance. So we started back to the car, and were just in time to reach our car before the rain started pouring. With a heavy heart, we came back to hotel. The kids spent time in the swimming pool. We had lunch and then lazed around in hotel, with kids enjoying TT/carrom/chess and wife spending time reading Ramayana book from hotel. All this while it had been raining heavily due to Cyclone 'Maha'. Had dinner, and then we slept planning to visit Dhanushkodi once again in morning.

Next morning, i tried to wake my wife up at 6 AM, but she showed reluctance so i left it thinking that its OK, as we have come here to relax and other things are secondary. At 7 AM, wife woke up and asked me why i didn't wake her up at 6:00 AM as we had planned for Dhanushkodi. at 7:15 AM we left for Dhanushkodi. Daughter (6 yrs) slept peacefully in her baby car seat. Once we reached Dhanushkodi (the ghost town), the policemen were not there. We asked the shopkeepers, and they said that policemen come at 9:00 AM and we could walk up to Dhanushkodi point and be back before policemn arrive at the checkpost. So we took on foot to Dhanushkodi point which was 3-4 kms away. When we had walked about a km, we saw 4 bikes and then a Tempo traveller headed to Dhanushkodi point. We asked for lift, and the family (from Maharastra) obliged probably after seeing the kids. So we could finally visit the point. The bikers and tempo traveller had apparently removed the rope blocking the road, and had drove on. We were so excited to have been able to visit. We got down, took a stroll and took few pictures. Within a few minutes, we had a Tata Sumo heading towards us. It was a police vehicle. They asked everyone to get inside the TT and head back to checkpost. Once we got back, we thanked the family and the driver, and got off the TT. We were so happy to have been able to visit Dhanushkodi point. THe TT was God-send for us, as we would not have been able to walk those 6-8 kms with the kids. We went back to hotel, had breakfast and took bathe, checked out of hotel and visited Pancmukhi Hanuman temple where they claimed floating rocks (which were probably dried corals) used to build Ram-Setu to Lanka. By about 1 Pm we set out to Madurai...
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Seems like a wonderful drive and time well spent. How did you like the long drive to Rameshwaram in one day?

How is the road condition from Madurai to Rameshwaram? Last I heard, it was under repair for conversion to 4 lane highway. Images pls

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Seems like a wonderful drive and time well spent. How did you like the long drive to Rameshwaram in one day?
      The drive was easy. Though i had slept for just 4 hours the night before, i did not feel sleepy.

How is the road condition from Madurai to Rameshwaram? Last I heard, it was under repair for conversion to 4 lane highway.
      The roads were good and 4 laned, with no/low traffic and beautiful clouds. Roads good for 100+ kmph drive.

Images pls
      Haven't yet downloaded from camera. Shall post few once i have them on phone.
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx

Awesome

By about 1 Pm we set out to Madurai...
      Reached Madurai @ about 5 PM on Oct 31. Checked-in to Heritage Madurai. Heritage Madurai is like an Oasis in desert, a green and calm place within the chaos of the city. There was almost no choice of snacks, and we headed to have snacks outside. Came back at about 7 and decided to go to Meenakhsi temple. As wife was not feeling well, and she had been there earlier as a kid, i took an auto and visited the temple with the kids. Deposited phones at locked outside the temple gate, and had darshan of Goddess Meenakshi and Shiva. Came back and had dinner at Heritage. Next morning had a lazy breakfast, kids drove cycles provided by the resort and played a bit. At 12 noon we started back from Madurai to Bangalore. The drive was good, with less traffic. It being Karnataka Rajyotsava day on 1st November and also it being an odd day to return to Bangalore, the traffic was very less even in Bangalore. Still last 40 kms of journey were not so enjoyable. Took road HSR and the ORR all the way to kasturi Nagar. At 7 we were home. We had to attend a BDay party of a close family friend, so we got refreshed had pizza for snacks and headed out to friends place at 8:45 PM. At 12 in the night were were home. For me it was a long day as i wake up at 6:00 AM, irrespective of it being a working day or a holiday, and had taken a nap or two sitting on Sofa in friend's house.

Some points:

I felt that Madurai is a city of autos and bikes only, and everyone has a hand permanently on the horn.

On journey from Bangalore to Madurai, i had to abruptly to come to standstill from a speed of 110-120 at a barricade. I was overtaking a truck and could not see the barricades as a Pajero was in front of me (me not tailgating but), and could see the barricades once the Pajero cut sharply in front of the truck. The truck driver had seen me braking hard and tried to accommodate me by making space as much as possible. Very thoughtful action from the truck driver. But i preferred to brake and stop, and Storme performed very well, and stopped in a straightline without any drama.

I told my wife about Sir J.Ravi visiting Leh 3 times in 3 different cars: Linea, XUV and Nexon, and she was impressed. After this drive is is more confident of doing more than 600 kms in a day. Once our daughter starts eating a bit spicy food (target next year), we plan to drive to NE. Before that, a drive to Goa and couple of more drives (Mangalore, Kanyakumari etc) might happen. Lets see how things pan out. She survived this trip on Dosa-butter, Aloo-paratha-butter and roti-panner-butter-masala/palak-panner and butter, butter being an indispensable part of her meal. She had hard time eating during our Dharamshala-Dalhousie trip in May this year.

The Storme odo reads 23,700 Kms now in 4 years and 1 month.
      Last edited by speed79; 4th Nov 2019 at 15:45.
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread Information