• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: My New Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4 Astern Black

Awesome

Update 1:

On 2nd October Storme took us to Sivasamudra falls about 140 kms from Bangalore. Bangalore to Mysore road, there was heavy traffic. Off the Mysore road, the road was good and empty. On the way back, there was no traffic on Mysore road.

Update 2:

Last evening while from office to home, i got caught up in the downpour. The visibility was low in heavy rain, but i continued. As rain was still heavy, in Sadanand Nagar, there was heavy water logging. While the hatchbacks and Sedans took the inner roads, the SUVs and psudo SUVs continued. I was stupid to not know that for about 200 feet there will be about 2 feet (cant say for sure about the depth) of water. I had expected water to be only about a feet high, as i had crossed this water logged road 4-5 years back in an Alto. A Nexon was followed by Creta, my Storme, a Duster and a toyota etios taxi and so on. At one point of time, Creta gave up (probably water entered its engine or electricals shorted) even before the deep section of water started. Only heavy traffic including bus, truck and tempos was coming from the other side, creating waves. I was stuck after Creta as first i was not sure if Creta is waiting or is dead. The exhaust must have been under water, so had to revv up the engine to stop water from entering the exhaust and cause havoc. Also, i could not go back (in reverse) as there were cars behind, and could not take a u turn as the other side seemed deeper than our side. Waited behind Creta for 3-4 minutes (found out later from timestamp of car camera), and it seemed like a really long time. Finally the Etios from behind overtook us, and i also followed slowly, driving in 1st gear, and praying to God. Finally made to the dry land. The brakes were all spongy, and felt a loss of power too. but things returned to normal in some time.

The damages: The glass of both fog lamps cracked as it went under water, and i had switched on the fog lights to aid in visibility in heavy rain, but i had forgotten to stitch them off while entering water. The front number plated had been ripped off probably by the force of the waves created by oncoming trucks/buses. FOg lights are still working, but glass has cracked and fallen off. So a loss for me, but not too big like related to engine. This was an experience, and i would not like to repeat it if there is a way out. I could have shown some wisdom and followed the hatches, could have saved me some money which i need to spend on fog lamps.

Today morning inspected engine bay, and all seemed fine. Gave the car a quick wash to remove the much and smell.

Here are Youtube video links:

Forgot to add:

When i was waiting behond creta and the oncoming vehicles were passing by, Creta was floating. Even my Storme fishtailed many a times. Same with Duster as well.
      Last edited by speed79; 4th Oct 2019 at 15:35. Reason: Adding videos
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

500L water weights 500KG. Water is no Joke.
      Your vehicle is out of water does not mean that damage has been avoided. Electrical damage often comes a few weeks after water splash. Yes, It would be better to avoid water crossing no matter which SUV you have.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      Creta gave up (probably water entered its engine or electricals shorted) even before the deep section of water started.
      This is sad. Was it moving and suddenly stopped or it was stationery and refused to move? Ideally, if a vehicle is in motion, there are less chances of it being stuck like this.

Finally the Etios from behind overtook us
      ETIOS is an SUV in form of a Sedan? With such water level, I'd expect sedans to be literally floating.

FOg lights are still working, but glass has cracked and fallen off.
      Sorry about this. Indicates how strong the water force was.

I feel for that red color i10 in your video. I wonder if it survived the rains.

I crossed a similar water level near Amruthahalli lake area. Water level was so high that for a moment, it looked like lake is over-flowing and is on streets. I was in motion in first gear and Laali and I survived those 200 odd feet distance.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

This was an experience, and i would not like to repeat it if there is a way out.
      Of course, i can imagine what you went through. been there, done that and suffered. mostly when i was in mumbai, with earlier palio. now i avoid going into the water logging if water is more than couple of inches. Wait for it to subside, i should be able to see the earth surface below, then only drive further.

second rule is never enter heavy water logging in convoy, even that of only 2 cars. it causes water to raise couple of inches more and if the vehicle in the front gets stalled, the vehicle behind will suffer.

anyway, get the vehicle checked, serviced once. to get the piece of mind. do not go on a long drive without getting it done.

Awesome

As A preventive measure I would suggest-

1. Check for water entry-
      Fuse box,
      Air filter box
      AC Filter
      Scuff plate below area
      Carpets below area

2. Spray with WD 40-
      Any Engine electrical couplers in engine bay
      Alternator contacts
      AC clutch bearing
      Battery contacts

3. Wipe with clean towels-
      AC belts & Accessory belts
      Front wheel arches
      Battery

Also remove Fog lamp fuses until proper fix.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      This is sad. Was it moving and suddenly stopped or it was stationery and refused to move?
      It was moving, and then it stopped. Don't know if it died after the stopping or it stopped after engine dying. From the rear lights, it appears that he tried to restart the car atleast once.

ETIOS is an SUV in form of a Sedan? With such water level, I'd expect sedans to be literally floating.
      Actually that Etios was stuck behind the duster (Nexon->Creta->Storme->Duster->Etios). The water level increased suddenly for Creta and for me when Creta died. The duster and Etios were in relatively shallower waters. Even i could not judge is it OK to go ahead ot not. We were stuck behind the Creta for 3 minutes, i was scared as i did not know what depth lies ahead but i did not panick. I was just waiting there to assess. Etios might have probably panicked or might have become impatient and overtook all the three cars to go ahead. Once Etios crossed the water, i could gather courage and cross the waters. After the water crossing, Etios stopped on the side of the road and there was water flowing from everywhere from inside Etios. Probably the floor of Etios got flooded.

I feel for that red color i10 in your video. I wonder if it survived the rains.
      That red i10 was parked on the footpath. i think it would have survived the rains easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Wait for it to subside, i should be able to see the earth surface below, then only drive further.
      I could have easily taken the detour to avoid this road, but the lack of experience took over.

second rule is never enter heavy water logging in convoy, even that of only 2 cars. it causes water to raise couple of inches more and if the vehicle in the front gets stalled, the vehicle behind will suffer.
      The next day, it again rained heavily and i took OMR-ring road route instead. There was a point (about 30-40 feet length under railway bridge on OMR where water was slightly higher, and all hatchbacks etc were taking that route, and there were traffic policemen who were sending the cars only one by one to cross that water. I took the time for the car infront of me to clear the road so that i could take it without stopping in water. Previous day of being stuck behind Creta was scary.

anyway, get the vehicle checked, serviced once. to get the piece of mind. do not go on a long drive without getting it done.
      I had some deliveries to be made today, so i am now relatively free and plan to give car for servicing on Monday/Tuesday. I have plan for a long drive after Diwali, so i hope it should not be a problem.
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      1. Check for water entry-
      Fuse box,
      Air filter box
      AC Filter
      Scuff plate below area
      Carpets below area
      I had checked area around fusebox and airfilter box (from outside) the next morning, and it felt as if water did not reach there.

The carpet was dry. There is no damp smell inside the car. So i think it is all OK.

I don't know where is AC filter is. But i am feeling smell of outside pollution/fuel fumes inside the car, Could it be due to AC filter getting damaged? Is AC filter made of paper?

Scuff plates were dry as these are inside the cabin.

3. Wipe with clean towels-
      AC belts & Accessory belts
      Front wheel arches
      Battery
      The next morning on Oct 4, i had washed the car splashing with plain water. Though i did not rub it or make it dry. I did not want to get any infection from the gutter water. On Dusshera (October 8) i gave it a good shampoo wash.

2. Spray with WD 40-
      Any Engine electrical couplers in engine bay
      Alternator contacts
      AC clutch bearing
      Battery contacts
      Battery did not come in contact with water. I will ask TASS to check these. I think i should have used air-blower to dry the electrical couplers which might have come in contact with water, but i was lazy.

Also remove Fog lamp fuses until proper fix.
      I have a question: is it possible to replace just the glass cover of fog lamps, as everything else is fine. Or would i need to get the whole units replaced?
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx

Awesome

give car for servicing on Monday/Tuesday
      in my view TASC would be least concerned to check the fine points. Only DIY approach works here.
      I had checked area around fusebox and airfilter box (from outside)
      Outside does not matter. Also outside dries due to engine heat. Inside is what you want. Is the Air filter Damp?

Could it be due to AC filter getting damaged? Is AC filter made of paper?
      XUV has 2 paper like filters below dashboard-Footwell area. Not sure about Storme.
      Scuff plates were dry as these are inside the cabin.
      Safari has some of the worst scuff plates design. They appear dry from the top. But they are vented to below. Nasty design.
      I think i should have used air-blower to dry the electrical couplers which might have come in contact with water, but i was lazy.
      A couple of sundays ago, I took a can of WD40 and sprayed practically every electrical coupler I could find easily (After undoing them). Prevents moisture and also solves many ghost problems in Safari.

is it possible to replace just the glass cover of fog lamps, as everything else is fine. Or would i need to get the whole units replaced?
      I don''t think they'll be available. Or you'll have to look at junk yards and make jugaad using fevi quick.

Awesome

I am planning to visit Rameshwaram this weekend with wife and kids (6 and 12 yrs). while going we are going to halt at Madurai for a night. while coming back, is Rameshwaram to Bangalore possible in a single day? if not, any other place midway, where we can take a break for a night and can visit some place there. Problem is that it could be a bit tough for the little one, and I start feeling sleepy after driving 400-500 Kms. mostly I will be driving, but wife might give me a break from driving if I am tired, but she is not too keen to drive now a days. earlier we used to fight a bit to take the wheels on the highways.

the longest I have driven was Bangalore Hyderabad. and I was too sleepy for last 100-150 Kms while near Bangalore. I never do night driving, and start only after 6 am.

Nomad rksingh1
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx

Awesome

I am planning to visit Rameshwaram this weekend
      correction.. not this weekend. planning for end of the month. leaving on October 31 morning. stay at Madurai. visit Meenakshi temple.leave on 1 Nov for rameshwaram. 2 nights stay there. start back on Nov 3 morning for Bangalore.

one more hitch. Nov 3 is Sunday, and traffic towards Bangalore could be high. I can advance whole trip by a day, if it looks logical
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread Information