Thread: Ford Figo Aspire TDCi Titanium Ownership Report

Just Chrome it !

Awesome

Thumbs up Ford Figo Aspire TDCi Titanium Ownership Report

• With reference to this video:

I was trying some DIY stuff.

Tell me if you experienced any of these:

1) Tyre pressure:
      My Titanium Diesel version came with MRF ZVTV and 40 psi air pressure measured on same day of delivery. At that pressure the steering felt very slippery - hardly any torque required to rotate the steering wheel, especially at low speed.
      Reducing the pressure to 34 psi lessened this feeling of looseness.

Queries:
      a) What is the air pressure you maintain for in-city driving
      b) What is the air pressure you maintain for long distance highway driving with mix type of roads
      c) For rough roads with potholes - should the air pressure be higher or lower - for comfort and for rim protection
      d) For rough roads under construction having big stones with sharp edges - should the air pressure be kept higher or lower to avoid tyre cut and puncture

Please note, though I have replaced the stock wheels and tyres since, the above questions still hold good

2) Spare wheel:
      Unscrewing the spare wheel is easy. But after having taken it out of wheel bay, and then again keeping it back, I struggled for minutes to locate the correct position where the clamp could be tightened securely.

Query:
      Have you faced this, is there a way of doing this more efficiently?

3) Low end power:
      Coming from a Santro, while engaging a higher gear when moving forward, I have this practice of immediately stepping on the pedal. Now the Aspire does not seem to need any pedal inputs and accelerates on its own for first 3 gears

Queries:
      a) Is it the power of Aspire, or is it the torque of a diesel
      b) Is there a different approach to driving diesels
      c) My bike, when it was new, had this character for its first 6 months. After first service, they tuned it such that it would behave normally. Is this something that I need to ask Ford service as well? For my bike reducing the eagerness of vehicle to accelerate resulted in better fuel efficiency. Is it possible for Aspire as well?
      d) Sometimes in dense traffic, need to apply brakes immediately after upshifting (say the 2-wheeler in front swerved into my line of movement). After this, that sweet torque does not seem to come on again. Is this because the engine RPM dropped? Now it needs a good amount of pedal push to make the same kind of progress
      e) Should the tyre pressure be 40 psi for better engine response in such stop and go traffic

Just Chrome it !

Awesome

Updates based on long distance drive of 900 kms

Came back last week from a Pune-Shani Shingnapur-Shirdi-Aurangabad-Shirdi-Pune trip

Data
      Duration - 5 days, 4 nights
      Road types - Pune-Shirdi - highway is good, took the Ahmednagar (with bypass) route. Rest of the highways were mostly terrible riddled with potholes.
      Travel aides - Mobile with 5 inch display housed in Ford Aspire Titanium smart dock with software Google map, MapMyIndia map; an electric tyre inflator with measuring gauge
      Number of people travelling - 3 (my kid, wife and myself)
      Luggage space consumed - 100%
      Average fuel consumption - 18.5 kmpl, which is similar to what I get in the city. I guess speed breakers in city are equivalent to craters on the highways, in so far as fuel consumption is concerned. AC was always on - the MAX ac function is very much appreciate when starting the vehicle in day time at open parking places. No lag in engine response noticed due to AC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myCar.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	213846

@ Tyre Pressure
      Got the opportunity to experiment a couple of combinations -
      38 psi at front and 35 psi at back turned out to be the sweet spot for me for the highway drives with butter-smooth to very bad roads.
      (For Pune city daily office commutes I keep 36 psi at front and 34 psi at the back).

Tyres are Bridgestone B290 185/60 R15 with speed rating T. Pretty grippy I must say.
      Since the run in period was on, anyways I did not want to drive beyond 100-110 kmph.
      Mostly rode within the 2000 rpm (diesel) range, with very rare (2-3 times) 2500 rpm stints.

I had to manage a balancing act - no one should feel too uncomfortable with a very high pressure in the tyres with the car acting too stiff, while on other hand, the rims should not get damaged when they bumped into the potholes (some of them were craters which one should absolutely navigate away from). There were some highways where I was driving on alternate layers of tar - so these were not potholes, but nevertheless there was constant thrumm of the wheels toggling between the layers at 100 kmph. Thankfully the Aspire has good suspension.

The suspension did bottom out few times on the bigger potholes, which was under very extreme conditions I would say. With the kind of road and speed being maintained, it speaks volumes of the good job that Ford does with the suspension and shock absorbers in India.

Because of the harsh conditions, after coming back I ensured to get the wheel alignment done.
      Turned out that the left front wheel had gone just out of tolerance zone, which was rectified at nominal cost of 200 rupees for the wheel alignment process (saved myself 7% of tyre life). Learnt that only front wheels can be adjusted for alignment in Ford Figo Aspire. A lot of modern vehicles come with similar setup for alignment, though some like SUV 500 have adjustment for the rear wheels as well.

@ Driving a diesel
      Gear changes are slow. However, when in correct gear at correct speed, especially the third and fifth gears are sheer fun.
      Because of the lighter weight of the vehicle (thumbs up to Ford), the 60-100 kmph pull in fifth gear is sheer nirvana.
      Please don't try this in the city..

Other Observations
      A lot of cars on the road were Swift/ Dezire.
      A lot of SUVs were Mahindra Xylo/ Scorpio/ Renault Duster/ Nissan Terrano.
      Large parts of highways were pretty isolated.
      Some trucks drive very rashly, in the presence of potholes in their line of travel, they will come very close into the path of oncoming vehicles from opposite side just to avoid potholes. The state of roads is a shame, especially if you compare it to Mumbai or Pune side.
      There are toll nakas that do not charge small vehicles, in stark contrast to tolls collected in Pune-Mumbai route.
      Personally, I think its better to pay toll and ply on smooth roads rather than damage the suspension system on unmaintained roads.

My vehicle being a dark colored one, a lot of dust settled on it.
      Got the vehicle washed at Ajanta Caves parking lot (100 rupees) at Aurangabad and felt better for it.
      Being a world heritage site, thought I should respect the image people carry away from the site.

Lastly, what rattles?
      There's a sound coming from the right side front door whenever the car goes over bumps. Something has probably become loose.
      Need to mention this at firs servicing, which is very near now.

Happy motoring !

Sedate...

Awesome

Sudipto Paul, Congrats on your acquisition.
      Wish you many happy (s)miles ahead.

Moved your posts to this thread. You can use this thread to share your ownership experience.
      Please let us know if you wish to have a specific thread title.
      2010 Ford Figo TDCi Titanium - CODE 6 Tuned - Our Colorado Queen :-)
      2012 Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG - Our Czech Princess :-)
      "Taking your seat is so easy. Leaving it, however, never is." :-) - Courtesy BMW 3 Series

Just Chrome it !

Awesome

First engine oil change and the First Service report

Thanks a ton, Evolution88!

Here's a collage I made tonight of the ambient lighting in the car's footwell:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Collage 768x434.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	214650

The car has come back from first service this week.

There were 2 points I had complained about:
      1) The rattling sound from right side door: It is not there anymore. The Service supervisor didn't mention anything at all about it, nor did the checkup routine list mention anything about it. So it must have been something minor I hope.
      2) The trunk lid opening: I had mentioned that when the vehicle is in the sun for a long time, the trunk lid has a tendency to open up too fast. I am told that this will be the case and I should not fear about it hitting the rear glass. I had read that this issue was sorted out in the recent batches and was hoping there would be a solution.
      Anyways, I'm now used to opening the trunk lid with the key when I need to operate it myself, or with the push button when the car is checked at the office or at the mall/s.

First service entailed no cost parts or labor. Only the vehicle pick-up and drop charges - Rupees 285 including taxes.

In the previous week, I made it a point to change the oil. I remember that for my previous car and for the previous bikes, the oil would get below normal level as the engine was run in, and the oil would be dirty.
      These days technology is king and facilities are there for the asking.
      So on the Sunday morning I went to the Shell outlet. They have an oil changing bay which lifts the car up to empty the oil into a drum. Engine oil capacity is 4 liters and it comes with mineral oil from the factory. So the emptying process started and the oil was all black and flowing.
      The oil changes are recommended at intervals of 10,000 kms for Aspire. For harsh driving its recommended to be changed at 5,000 kms. With oil change at 2,000 kms, I was being extra cautious here and it was solely based on experience with previous vehicles that I have run-in.
      The oil drained fast for most of the time, but in the last 150-200 ml, it was no longer oil. It was a very dense sludge that fell in big lumps.

This led me to dig more on the net.

Here's what I found:
      1) Get Ready for More Soot In Engine Oil
      2) How Soot in Engine Oil Affects Wear | HDDEO
      3) Synthetic Oil Test on | Heavy Duty Engine Oil (HDEO) - Diesel/Gas Pickups/Trucks/Vans | Bob Is The Oil Guy

My take aways:
      Extreme driving is not just driving above 100 kmph. Extreme driving is also the way Indian traffic moves - bumper to bumper in the cities.
      Synthetic is hopefully better. I am using Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 synthetic motor oil.
      Last edited by Sudipto Paul; 8th Dec 2015 at 16:59.

Just Chrome it !

Awesome

Pune - Bhimashankar return trip on Christmas eve

Type of road: pretty narrow on a lot of sections
      Road quality: Potholes are mostly filled up, but there are a lot of these on a lot of sections.
      With the plush suspension of Aspire, the ride is ok. Try to avoid high speed drives, as the roads have constant and gradual ups and downs and are not very flat. I was mostly in the 50 and 80 kmph range. Would have touched 100 kmph for very short duration, about 3-4 times in the full trip. There are blind slopes and blind corners, where one cannot see if there is car or cattle after the bend.
      Density of traffic: As we move out of Pune, the traffic starts to thin down. Since its not an industrial corridor, there are less number of heavy vehicles on the road.
      Passengers: Dad and myself
      Distance covered: 104 + 104 km
      Fuel efficiency (D) for trip: 20.1 kmpl

We started late in the morning after having breakfast at home. It took us around 2.5 hrs to reach Bhimashankar. The drive is very scenic with the trees mostly green after the late showers this year. While going I was using Google Map on Android. Since it always tries to give the shorter route, there was a section where it took us through a town interior. While coming back I switched to MapmyIndia on Android, because I remembered how it tries to stick to the more prominent roads; thankfully I could stay on proper road this time. It took us around 3 hrs to reach Pune. Of this 40 min was spent at getting out of Bhimashankar parking - its very narrow road with long queue of vehicles, and here I could make ourselves comfortable in the snail-pace traffic with the excellent AC and music system of Aspire !

Ghat section: its a 2 way road, so expect oncoming traffic. The roads are broken in the top layer at a lot of sections, but very rare deep potholes to worry about. Again, the Aspire navigator dock remained rock solid and never let the phone down (or my confidence in it)

I think there is something very different about the Aspire suspension. Even after a 5.5 hrs drive (in total) we were still very fresh and relaxed.
      Last edited by Sudipto Paul; 30th Dec 2015 at 21:19.

Just Chrome it !

Awesome

2D1N trip - Pune-Mumbai-Pune

Post new year's eve, what better place to go than amchi Mumbai

Distance travelled: 327 km
      Fuel efficiency: 19.1 kmpl
      Places visited: Gateway of India, Mount Mary Bandstand, Chembur, Paragliding center Kamshet (base of hill)
      Persons travelling: Wife, daughter and myself
      Type of Roads: Mumbai-Pune Expressway with mild traffic, city roads with choc-a-bloc traffic, old Mumbai-Pune highway
      Travel was very comfortable for all of us. Excellent roads every where. Several (8-10) stints of 100+ kmph. Highest of 130 kmph.

At the start of Day1 I realized that the wiper liquid was not spraying - the blades were running dry.
      It was a bright and clear day, so it did not require immediate attention.
      At the back of my mind I realized that I would need to do something about it before dusk.

First we visited the Gateway of India. Barring a wrong exit from the Eastern Express highway and subsequent retrace of route, the journey was pretty simple to execute. We started from home at 8:30 am and reached the Gateway at 2:30 pm. Of these 6 hrs, upto 1.5 hrs was spent on 2 breaks - the first one at Khopoli expressway stop over, and the second one at Cafe Madras at Matunga.
      We spent an hour at the Gateway (including 15 minutes to look for parking). Being a long weekend, the place was so full.

Next we went to Bandstand. The road was again very simple to follow. The drive on the majestic Worli-Bandra sea link was breathtaking and we reached Bandstand within 40 minutes. At this time of the day, the place was just starting to get crowded. I was looking for a place to park at Mount Mary, and then it happened. Bird poop on the front windscreen. Something had to be done immediately. I took a tissue paper, put some water on it, and wiped off the mass. For full cleaning, I now needed the windscreen spray in real earnest. Several trials at pressing the sprayer knob in the morning had failed. Now I checked the water level and there was plenty of it - I had topped it the previous night. After putting down the bonnet, I raised the wiper blades and tried the spray again, hoping for a miracle. And my prayers were answered at Mount Mary - the spray came full on. I lowered the wipers and cleaned the glass with several full wipes of the wipers. I am currently using Sonax Clear View 1:100 concentrate (a 25 ml bottle for 2.5 lt of water) and it cleans very well.
      Name:  Sonax Clearview - Copy.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  57.5 KB

We then went to the Bandstand sea shore (a rocky shore line). It was not very clean, I thought they empty the local drains in that part of the sea. Next we visited the Mount Mary Church. We had missed the Christmas eve celebrations, but we did get to see the Santas.
      Name:  _DSC1009 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1899
Size:  238.7 KB
      We spent some time in the Church and it was a very serene atmosphere.

After this we went to Chembur and it was the end of Day1 for us.

On Day2 we started back for Pune.
      On the way at Kamshet exit, we got off the expressway and continued on the old highway upto the Kamshet-Pavananagar road. We took this road to the base of mountain for the Paragliding center. There we booked a bigger vehicle (Sumo) as the road is very poor and plying vehicles need very high ground clearance. Besides, its a very narrow road. I thought it was a one way road, but later realized that its the same road both up and down hill. Probably that's why its called Slopes of Hell!

We saw a lot of people - 30-40 - some just visiting, and some flying the parachutes.
      On the way back to Pune, we had lunch at Tony da dhaba. They have the bird Emu in their premises!

At the end it was a very fulfilling trip. Thank you Ford for a super vehicle.

Just Chrome it !

Awesome

Quick update at 4558 km

Total distance covered: 4558 km
      Latest City cycle distance logged (primarily home to office and back, some weekend chores and some visits to the grocery stores, for around 3 weeks in January ): 441.8 km
      Fuel efficiency recorded: 20.1 kmpl of diesel

Name:  IMG_20160126_163931.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20160126_164035.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  119.2 KB

Notes:
      1) Have started using System D for better combustion of fuel.
      2) On the severe winter days, the issue of windshield spray not working persisted (funny though, is the fact that raising the bonnet surely brought back the spray, each of the 3 days). So have used up the spray liquid and now moved from Sonax to Proklear WWC for windshield spray. The days are now warmer and the spray is coming up regularly. Will wait and see how this pans out..
      3) I am now seeing this vehicle, in various colors - near my society (in red), at my office (in silver, red). Younger sibling Figo at the grocery store (in blue). Guess people are warming up to it
      Last edited by Sudipto Paul; 9th Feb 2016 at 05:47.

Hungry for more POWER!!!

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Sudipto Paul View Post
      I am currently using Sonax Clear View 1:100 concentrate
      I remember reading somewhere that this thing is to be used in summers only.

The reason I didn't buy this.
      2005 Maruti Swfit
      2005 Skoda Octavia
      2008 Ford Fiesta Classic
      2013 Honda Dio - Pearl White
      2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDi - White Panther

"Try everything in life but don't get addicted to it"

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bala4567 View Post
      I remember reading somewhere that this thing is to be used in summers only.
      Does it fall below -4 degrees in India? I use the same concentrate summer and winter but not to the recommended mixing ratio. I mix 1:10 and for winter the water is mixed 50% with alcohol.

Hungry for more POWER!!!

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      Does it fall below -4 degrees in India? I use the same concentrate summer and winter but not to the recommended mixing ratio. I mix 1:10 and for winter the water is mixed 50% with alcohol.
      The temperature in my city doesn't go less than 20 degrees atleast.

Alcohol? Any reason?
      2005 Maruti Swfit
      2005 Skoda Octavia
      2008 Ford Fiesta Classic
      2013 Honda Dio - Pearl White
      2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDi - White Panther

"Try everything in life but don't get addicted to it"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information