• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: DIY - LINEA T-Jet - GAS STRUTS TO OPEN BONNET

DIY nut

Awesome

DIY - LINEA T-Jet - GAS STRUTS TO OPEN BONNET

I have this habit of cleaning the engine bay as frequently as I clean the car. I also check the fluid levels every week, sometimes more often, depending on the car usage. While the boot lid is held open by gas struts, sadly we have to use the OE prop rod to hold the bonnet open. I had noticed the bonnet being held open by gas struts in luxury cars and wanted the same for my car too.

After checking the engine bay for options and ensuring feasibility, the first step was to do some calculations and decide on what struts will be required. Here is how the calculation is done:

Name:  Force-Calculation.gif
Views: 297
Size:  14.1 KB
      The above calculations with some physical measurements taken from the car, led me to the conclusion that I will need struts about 430mm - 440mm extended length, 160mm - 180mm stroke length and rated for 325N. I searched for such struts and then realised that our own Punto boot struts are an ideal fit - 436mm extended length, 170 mm stroke and 350N rating. That it was readily available from FASS/99RPM was an added bonus. The Punto also has a screw type ball pin on the tailgate, which can be used.

It was time now to design brackets. The Linea has a raised metal strip along the inside edge of the fender inside the engine bay, with three unused holes. It would make sense to design a bracket to fit inside this point. Also, the bracket that fits on the bonnet itself, will need to be designed to make use of the two screws that the hinge uses now. That way, the installation will be completely reversible, with no permanent changes to the car. With these parameters in mind, after a few iterations of failed prototypes, this final design was arrived at. This was then laser cut from sheet metal, CNC bent and powdercoated in matt black.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brackets.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	559.2 KB 
ID:	215894

To be as professional as possible and to not have to worry about rust, I decided to get the brackets made of 2.5mm stainless steel sheet, use stainless steel fittings and also use a silicone sheet sandwiched between the bracket and the body, to avoid damage to the car surface. The nuts chosen were nyloc, to avoid loosening over time due to vibrations.

Parts used with cost -

1. 2.5mm SS brackets, powdercoated in matt black - ₹ 300 each x 4 = ₹ 1200
      2. Stainless steel fittings - ₹ 75 per side x 2 = ₹ 150
      3. Fiat part number 51778432 Strut - ₹ 904 x 2 = ₹ 1808
      4. Fiat part number 51762519 Pin - ₹ 79 x 4 = ₹316

Total cost of the project - ₹ 3474.

A couple of fellow Linea owners and a Punto owner were also interested, so we got the brackets made in bulk.

Installation process -

Step 1 - Fit the top bracket to the engine bay as shown in picture

Name:	IMG_20160110_084130095_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	215895
      Step 2 - Fit the bottom bracket as shown in picture

Name:	IMG_20160110_084139775_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	999.9 KB 
ID:	215896
      Step 3 - Screw in the ball pins to both brackets
      Step 4 - Pop the struts in
      Step 5 - Stand back and admire your work

Additional Pointers-

1. After fitting the top brackets to the bonnet, close the bonnet and check alignment. Adjust if required.
      2. Remove the OE prop rod. It is just held in place by one plastic clip.
      3. You will also need to either remove or trim the rubber pieces on either end of the engine bay, where it meets the windshield area, to accommodate the struts in the bonnet closed position.
      4. While I went with two struts, one strut will also do the job. It will also cut the cost in half.
      5. It is not possible to fit two struts on the Punto. There is insufficient space on the passenger side.

These brackets will not fit the EVO. Only the Linea and the old Grande Punto. If any of you want to go for this setup, you can get the struts and the ball pin from FASS/99RPM. If you need the drawing for the brackets let me know. I can share it and you can get it fabricated in a nearby friendly fabrication shop.

Thanks for reading.

Learning each day

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Rengarajan B View Post
      It is not possible to fit two struts on the Punto. There is insufficient space on the passenger side.
      And 1 strut should be enough to take the load of the bonnet for GP ?

Please share the bracket drawings as I would love to get this done . Is there any possibility that you would have extra of the brackets and other stuff ( other than the struts ), considering you probably had planned to put 2 on Punto, but only 1 could fit in ? If so , would be great if you can ship it to me as done have any ( rather dont know of any ) good fabricator in Gurgaon.

I have a GP 2014 year. PM'ed you my email account.

DIY nut

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kunwar.g View Post
      And 1 strut should be enough to take the load of the bonnet for GP ?

Please share the bracket drawings as I would love to get this done . Is there any possibility that you would have extra of the brackets and other stuff ( other than the struts ), considering you probably had planned to put 2 on Punto, but only 1 could fit in ? If so , would be great if you can ship it to me as done have any ( rather dont know of any ) good fabricator in Gurgaon.

I have a GP 2014 year. PM'ed you my email account.
      Yes. One strut would be enough to hold the hood up. Considering that the hood is not opened as frequently as the tailgate, the stress levels would be pretty less. I do not have any spare brackets left and getting just one set made can be expensive. I can get it made, as long as I can get at least a requirement for five sets. Here are the drawings -

Top bracket - suitable for both Grande Punto & Linea

Name:	P00029-001-HatchLiftTop-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	215904

Bottom bracket for the Grande Punto

Name:	P00030-001-HatchLiftBottom-Punto-Driver.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	215905

Bottom bracket for the Linea. Two need to be made and bent in opposite directions to make mirror images of each other

Name:	P00031-001-HatchLiftBottom-Linea.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	215906

Cheers,
      Rajan

Learning each day

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Rengarajan B View Post
      Yes. One strut would be enough to hold the hood up. Considering that the hood is not opened as frequently as the tailgate, the stress levels would be pretty less. I do not have any spare brackets left and getting just one set made can be expensive. I can get it made, as long as I can get at least a requirement for five sets. Here are the drawings -
      Thanks for the drawings. Will try . Will Jpeg images be used or would need the actual vector file or some other format to load it up to the actual system.

If dont mind PM me your contact details and I will get back to you if I am able to get 5 sets ( I understand this as each set consists 2 pieces ). Is it possible to get pics from your Punto Owner friends who have installed this, just to get a better idea of how to fit it

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by kunwar.g View Post
      Will Jpeg images be used or would need the actual vector file or some other format to load it up to the actual system.
      You'll need the vector drawing for a CNC machine.

<invisible>

Awesome

Nice DIY. Your DIY and details in publishing it is great. Thanks a lot for sharing .

Is there any special consideration needed for choosing struts, considering the hot and hostile environment they would spend their life in this install?

Learning each day

Awesome

Rengarajan B please share the vector files at kunwar.g@gmail.com. Thanks in advance

DIY nut

Awesome

shyamhegde - Heat is not a problem. These struts are rated for -40* C to 80* C. I measured the temperature after a 4 hour non-stop highway run, when the coolant temperature was at 82* C. The surface temperature of the sturt was at 37* C.
      kunwar.g - Sorry buddy, I do not have the vector files. These were created by a product designer friend of mine and he only shared the .JPEG files.

Thread Information