• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Global NCAP - ZERO STARS for Indian Cars in 2016 Crash Tests.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Few facts and observations noticed while seeing Altroz 5 star safety ratings data and videos:

1. Altroz is the first Indian car where safety rating are released before it's launch like what happens in western countries. Hope this sets the trend in India and evey new car launched from now on comes with safety ratings and data.

2. Its just the second car from any Indian brand which received 5 star in safety ratings.

3. Both the 5 star rated cars are manufactured by Tata.

4. Base/entry level variant of any car model is tested for the crash ratings. So 5 star of Altroz means every variant including the entry level variant is 5 star rated in the safety department.

5. There are no black strips visible on the roof or Altroz, similar like VW Polo. These strips are used for hiding the welding marks. But the few manufacturers like VW use laser welding, even on their entry level cars like like Polo so they don't have to use the plastic strips because the welding marks are not visible. Laser welding increases the rigidity of the roof since the sheet metal of the roof also becomes seamless part of the monocoque body. Seems like Tata followed the same procedure with Altroz (more technical facts are awaited before confirmation).

6. European or American crash ratings don't apply on vehicles sold in India because the vehicle manufacturers here strip down or use the lower grade structural parts on the same global models which are sold here. GNCAP is India bound crash test program which randomly picks vehicles from the manufacturer's stock yard and tests them. Many of the International vehicle models sold here have miserably failed in the India bound GNCAP tests which have passed the strict crash test programs like Euro Ncap or IIHS. Tata Altroz has conducted India bound GNCAP and successfully passed it.
      Last edited by sgiitk; 19th Jan 2020 at 09:43. Reason: Typo corrected on RQ

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Another 5 star,
      another Indian,
      Mahindra XUV300 this time:

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Both TATA and Mahindra are hitting it out of the park, hats off to them.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Good cars take you to Point A
      to point B; Great cars, Well
      they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

Who would have thought that the first properly tested 5 start security ratings vehicle will be from Indian manufacturers for Indian market? First Tata and now Mahindra.
      Global manufacturers in India are just sitting on their laurels at least on safety front.

VW, FCA, Ford, etc: Our cars are safe since its build with laser welding and what not, observe thud while closing door blah blah..
      Tata, Mahindra: Hold our Beer!

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

And here is another one, Tiago/Tigor receive 4 stars:-

Best part is all this is happening without any govt regulation, companies are submitting their cars voluntarily, the testing agency is independent body.

If we talk about govt regulation then the existing vehicle safety test is useless which is otherwise pass by all the cars sold here. That existing govt test is about the assessment of steering column impact on driver's chest during some low speed crash.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 22nd Jan 2020 at 12:04.

Good cars take you to Point A
      to point B; Great cars, Well
      they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

And I can pat my back for choosing Tiago instead of Ignis/Gi10. The lure of getting more features was quite high though.
      Though the tested version is the facelifted one here, I hope there is no sheet metal changes since this is just a face-lift.

In any case, well done Tata!

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Update about Tata Tiago/Tigore crash test ratings:
      Body structure is declared 'unstable'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot-www.globalncap.org-2020.01.22-13_58_42.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	238787

More details: http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...ndiaTatTig.pdf

Note: Always read the full fact sheet of the crash test results also alongwith reading results and watching crash test videos.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Not surprising. I hope the new crash standards by our Government is as stringent, hopefully then Maruti will be forced to improve the safety of their cars.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Bored and tired!

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      Not surprising. I hope the new crash standards by our Government is as stringent, hopefully then Maruti will be forced to improve the safety of their cars.
      It is indeed sad that Indian Govt. is not making certain things mandatory for vehicle manufacturers. Sure, it will raise the cost. But the cost of lives lost (+ property and misery) is much more. I would say that airbags and abs should be absolute basic on all vehicles. All disc brakes and abs should be mandatory for all motorcycles and scooters. It will be costly to purchase a vehicle with such features, but basic question is would you buy a smart phone without camera in 2020?
      Pardon my lack of knowledge.

VW Polo Petrol (2012)
      Bajaj Discover 125ST (2013)

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread Information