• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Gearshift for new Duster RXE dci

A diesel amateur

Awesome

Gearshift for new Duster RXE dci

Hi,
      I bought a Duster Rxe facelift recently. It has a gearshift indicator attached with the tacho. Now here is the shift generally I do (used to do with my previous car-wagonr) - 20-2nd, 30-3rd, 40-4th, and 45-5th.
      With the new one i find a lag and a early-shift gear vibration sound while i follow the above gear shift rules. It responses good (also in accordance with shift indicator) with the following shift pattern-40+-3rd, 50+-4th, and 65+-5th.
      I want to know the shifts to have optimum fuel efficiency.
      Kindly help me out.

Thanks in advance.
      Debojit

It's not how fast you drive.
      It's how you drive fast.

Awesome

That indicator is giving you indications to shift correctly. Those are your shift points and translate to better FE figures too.May I ask the FE that you are presently extracting?

"Omelette du
      fromage"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Debojit Kundu View Post
      a early-shift gear vibration sound while i follow the above gear shift rules.
      You are lugging the engine and it's not good.

It responses good (also in accordance with shift indicator) with the following shift pattern-40+-3rd, 50+-4th, and 65+-5th.
      Going by the dyno chart of a Duster 85PS at TBHP, the peak torque on a stock map is generated at 2800 rpm. Cruising in top gear at this rpm should give you the maximum efficiency. Up shift points can be chosen slightly above 3000 rpm and higher in case there is a need for better acceleration.

TBHP link: Renault Duster : Official Review - Page 212 - Team-BHP
      Ford Figo TDCi ZXI May '12 | Hyundai Accent CRDi Nov '05 | Honda Unicorn Mar '10 | Hero Honda Passion Sept '02

A diesel amateur

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
      That indicator is giving you indications to shift correctly. Those are your shift points and translate to better FE figures too.May I ask the FE that you are presently extracting?
      This was my second fuelling where I took 45 ltr of normal diesel, I drove for around 560 km, not good I would say, but for most of the driving, i had to drive in 2nd or 3rd gear mostly (more than 70% of thr time), so i think i can't expect more. What I came to know from other people that after 1000-1500 kms running they get 15-16 in city and in highways it crosses even 19.

A diesel amateur

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by alexshom View Post
      You are lugging the engine and it's not good.
      I totally agree as I also feel early upshift is not good for the engine. So you mean to say (also as megazoid says) that, following the shift indicator is advisable to get better efficiency.

Up shift points can be chosen slightly above 3000 rpm and higher in case there is a need for better acceleration.
      I generally upshift @2000 rpm, are you saying i should always upshift @2800 for every gear and can get max efficiency at 2800 rpm on top gear, I believe at 5th gear + 2800 would be much beyond 50. I will check and post accordingly.
      Thanks for your advice.

Debojit

"Omelette du
      fromage"

Awesome

So you mean to say (also as megazoid says) that, following the shift indicator is advisable to get better efficiency.
      Exactly.

I generally upshift @2000 rpm
      Way too low. I guess your turbo spools up at 1900 rpm or so. If so, at each up shift at 2000 rpm, you fall back below the turbo spool rpm again and runs under performed/inefficient. At the same time you are using only an rpm range of 100 units in each gear, while you have roughly a range available from 2000 - 3500 rpm. This is based on the dyno chart, not from real life experience. Experts here can comment more.

Real life experience - 1.4 TDCi with peak torque at ~ 2200 rpm is up shifted between 2200 - 2500 range. At ~ 3000 on hard acceleration. Downshifts by ~ 1700 and the turbo spools at ~ 1500 rpm.

are you saying i should always upshift @2800 for every gear and can get max efficiency at 2800 rpm on top gear
      Other than the 1st gear (may be the 2nd too, if it doesn't lug), I would suggest you shift between 2800 - 3000 rpm. Haven't driven a Duster, hence not sure if the engine would get too noisy at those rpms .... guess not.

Downshift if you are under the min rpm for the turbo to spool up.

I believe at 5th gear + 2800 would be much beyond 50.
      Obviously, which will let you cruise on the highway in top gear at 100 - 120 kmph all day and return the max mileage. Would recommend you forget about the speeds for up and down shifts, just follow the tachometer or the shift indicator. Tacho gives you a better idea.

You cannot have max mileage while driving in the city. For now, forget about the mileage too, follow the tacho/shift indicator and enjoy the new car

I will check and post accordingly.
      Curious to know at what rpms does shift indicator suggests for a down & up shifts under sedate throttle.

P.S. Hope you have gone through the owners manual completely.
      Last edited by alexshom; 24th Jun 2016 at 15:11.
      Ford Figo TDCi ZXI May '12 | Hyundai Accent CRDi Nov '05 | Honda Unicorn Mar '10 | Hero Honda Passion Sept '02

"Omelette du
      fromage"

Awesome

Going by the dyno chart of a Duster 85PS at TBHP, the peak torque on a stock map is generated at 2800 rpm.
      Happened to go through the latest brochure of Duster and I see the peak torque is 200 Nm @ 1750 rpm. The TBHP link posted earlier is probably the dyno chart from the earlier generation of Dusters, with the peak torque at ~ 2800 rpm. So what has changed in the new Duster? Just a different state of tune?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	219977

Debojit Kundu, Apologies. I may have to take back the suggestions made on the up shift rpms. Looks like the fuel efficiency would be the highest at ~ 1800 rpm.

A diesel amateur

Awesome

Looks like the fuel efficiency would be the highest at ~ 1800 rpm.
      Thats what I was saying, beyond 2200 it gets kinda uncontrollable because of its insane acceleration. So my shiftings are kinda acceptable.

"Omelette du
      fromage"

Awesome

Curious to know at what rpms does shift indicator suggests for a down & up shifts under sedate throttle.
      Got a chance to capture this?

Thread Information