• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: My Home Theater

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I wish I had more time for Netflix and all that. Most movies that I see these days are training videos and how to videos and all that. Life is short and art is long and all that.

Hungry for more POWER!!!

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      It became disoriented towards the end.
      I agree too. Way too confusing.

I'm now watching Stranger things, Blacklist.

Watched Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Lost in Space, 13 Reasons why, Sacred Games, Mindhunter, Fargo, Better Call Saul, Atypical.

Lot more to watch. The list goes on
      2005 Maruti Swfit
      2005 Skoda Octavia
      2008 Ford Fiesta Classic
      2013 Honda Dio - Pearl White
      2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDi - White Panther

"Try everything in life but don't get addicted to it"

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Blacklist is GOOD!!! Blindspot started off nicely, but the last season was kind of too much.

Peaky Blinders is a good watch. McMafia, Bodyguard, Line of Duty, The Night Manager, London Spy, The Crown are also good.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      How many of you all have Netflix?
      No, I have not opted for the Netflix.

At 850 a month - I find it very expensive.
      Personally i don't think so, even if you watch 1 movie per weekend instead of going to multiplex, the cost is recovered.

Prime for 1k for whole year seem way too good
      It is a subscriber acquisition strategy for amazon that makes them give out prime membership almost free. I have free Prime membership offer from Airtel (1 post paid sim and 2 prepaid sims have one membership each), Jio (2 sims have one membership each), BSNL Fibre (1 membership each) apart from the one i have for my amazon account, which is the one i am using actually.

when i joined amazon prime, it was free for first year and then they started charging 1K per year, i can imagine, in future these charges might increase. so enjoy till it lasts.

Coming back to Home theatre viewing, i have been watching regional language movies especially bengali movies, (Vinci Da is the recent one i watched), Malayalam (Lucifer and couple of others), Marathi (almost all), Kannada (KGF and couple of others), Telugu (too much drama for my appetite), Punjabi (i started watching one and left in between). I feel this regional offering is really worth it as we will never go to theaters to watch those movies.

Thanks to World Cup, watching sports channel is back in vogue with senior citizen glued to the TV, i guess WC will be followed by Wimbledon and T20 series, so that much lesser consumption of GBs on the fibre. Still we have been hitting the limits every month consistently. We have reduced our Tata Sky spending per month from some 750 per month to 450 per month and now slowly it has inched back to 600. The a la carta selection is easy, we need not recharge for few days when we are not viewing the TV as we are not home.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Content continues to be the King and the Device becomes secondary.

Over the last couple of months the girls have over on from Vampires to Originals to Legends to Elementary. I skipped last seasons on Person of Interest and joined them for Elementary. I occasionally explore movies, sat through some initial portions of couple of Gujarati, Telugu, Kannada movies, learnt that unless there is a rally interesting and spectacular opening scenes, i may not continue with the movie beyond 10 minutes.

Youtube continues to be another source of content. Food vlogs, travel vlogs, gadget reviews continue to be my frequently watched content. cooking shows, baking, fashion vlogs are the additional ones by the girls. Somehow i just now realized that Car Reviews are not yet on viewing list.

mr.whoistheboss or Arun Maini is one of my frequently watched device reviewer. https://www.youtube.com/user/Mrwhosetheboss

Visa to Explore or Harish Bali is another one i like for his simple, extempore, style of vlogging. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...1P3eEAW8U-Dwjg

One Channel I avidly watch is Rick Steves Channel, i have so far covered Meditaranian, England, Italy, Czek, Turkey, Isreal, Jerusalem, Romania, and likely to continue till cover all parts of the Europe. There is a nice play list in sequence which one can play. Rick Steves Europe - Travel Guide - Full Episodes and Specials - YouTube

Another one i watch is train journeys through Russia to Mangolia to China and to Tibet. I made a trip to South Korea recently i also watched many videos on Korean Food, Life in Seoul, Korean wars, Japanese occupation of Korea, North Korea and it's Leadership, how South Korea grew to become one of the country among the most prosperous (per capita GDP basis) in just as many years of independence like India. I also enquired my hosts when i was in seoul, it was quite an enlightening to listen and learn from an 85 year old patriarch chairman of a korean enterprise. my wish to travel to North Korea-South Korea Border did not got fulfilled due to time constraints, may be next time. This trip i was glad that my stay was approx 6 days compared to last visit of just under 12 hours, out of which 6 were spent inside a conference room, and 4 hours in the car to & fro airport.

Generally on Sunday forenoon, daughter becomes the music-video jockey and for couple of hours, me and wife get to listen to the songs we generally may not listen by ourselves. this session immediately after the breakfast is generally quite educative as we get to also understand even if movies have been utter flops, how songs get picked up by teens and become popular. There was a question from the lady couple of days ago, where is our Karaoke Mic ? we have not used it for some time now. may be a session get planned around day of Bhai-Behen Din.

Frequency of Demo of the Home Theater has come down. Last occasion was when Brother and Family had come over a month and half ago. This visit and Demo, brought in many additional questions and request for answers since they moved into their new apartment last week. i sent a link to this thread to them and asked them to go through before they made their purchase. Still I got the question, Which TV to buy LG or Samsung or Sony or Xiaomi ? .... back to square one ... deja vu.

Last edited by Nomad; 14th Aug 2019 at 15:06.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      even if movies have been utter flops, how songs get picked up by teens and become popular.
      I am sure this has popped up in many brains. I have listened to songs in repeat belonging to movies I had never heard about.

Bhai-Behen Din
      It was also a "Deshbhakti-ke-gaane" Din.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Short Films are the future

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.58.41 AM.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	434.7 KB 
ID:	237524

Social Media is transforming the Content. after visuals and voice, video is becoming the killer app.

Twitter transformed the way we communicated, short crisp, to the point, messaging with instantaneous reach, ability to trend and become a viral is huge promise and potential to the person who wants to reach out to society or to escalate the topic.

Initally movies used to be really long 4+ hours, which comedown to 3 hours, then 2.5 hours. Hollywood Movies are now approx 90 minutes +/- Bollywood movies are now about 120 minutes.TV broke the content into 1hour, then down to 45 minutes and now to 30 minutes out of which 10 minutes is advertisement slot and 20 minutes is the episode.

this requirement to tell a story in 20-30 minutes seems to have created opportunities for Short Movies on social media. I understand this trend started about 2 years ago,It does not require Censor Certification I guess, gives absolute Creative Freedom. I absolutely love the format. It is similar to Novels Vs 2-3 page Stories.

I started with Nasir's Rogan Josh sometime last year, and have seen probably 40-50 short movies so far. Some of the You tube Channels for Short movies i have watched are

TerriblyTiny Tales
      LargeShortFilms
      HumaraMovie
      PocketFilms
      SonyLiv
      Six Sigma Films
      WWI Films

Top 50 Short Film Youtube Channels for Short Film Lovers provides the list

I have no doubt that Video is the next Killer APP. One can watch it on the "In-pocket theaters" or Smart Phones as well Home Theaters

Last edited by Nomad; 23rd Aug 2019 at 10:28.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Was not surprised to read this news clip yesterday.
      Are Indians going to the movies to escape slowdown? PVR's CEO thinks so | Business Standard News

And this one few days ago.
      Nearly 20 million viewers opt out of DTH services as bills start to pinch - The Hindu BusinessLine

Most of the content through these TV channels had become stereotypical, rhetoric and boring. why pay money to watch such a content.
      In our home, we have stopped re-charging the Tata Sky every month , but have retained the box and recharge it just to keep the subscription alive.
      Similar is the case with the cable connection, the channels we want are not available, the ones they provide are not worth watching.

OTT streaming has taken over completely, what ever little time available in front of TV / Home theatre.

On Dasara day, i stumbled upon the two videos from one of my most admired musician Ustad Zakir Hussain.

Ustad @ Google, he explains the evolution of sound system and how it has helped musicians (and of course listeners),

Ustad @ Kolkata Literary meet, about the classical music still being popular and how fusion is ah ethernal happening.

Ability to explain complex things in a simple way is the hall mark of Mastery or being a Ustad. of course when it combines with child like spontaneity, curiosity about the topic and discussions, being present now and engaged with the audience, and able to connect and enthrall the audience make him a level above the rest. Most important not being worried about becoming a master, but remaining a student and learning continuously differentiates real master from others.

of course you can watch Ted Talks, Google Talks, Think Tank Speeches, Product Launch events, on your home theater live streamed or just streamed. I have been consuming a lot of such content off late, even as part of my work. It is much easier to absorb what is being spoken, being in front of a large screen than in front of a small screen.

Last edited by Nomad; 10th Oct 2019 at 09:41.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Was not surprised to read this news clip yesterday.
      Are Indians going to the movies to escape slowdown? PVR's CEO thinks so | Business Standard News

And this one few days ago.
      Nearly 20 million viewers opt out of DTH services as bills start to pinch - The Hindu BusinessLine
      Both were interesting articles. It is eqully surprising that PVR head is interpreting it in this manner. There is no way to substantiate his claim but definitely an interesting observation.

DTH is useless to say the least. I am still recharging though for my mother. She watches it at times. Though I see her spend more time on YouTube on her phone. DTH is crazy expensive to say the least.

I am yet to convince myself to spend 800 INR on a Netflix subscription. Airtel Xtreame and Prime Video are keeping me fairly busy.

Hello friends

Awesome

Most of the content through these TV channels had become stereotypical, rhetoric and boring. why pay money to watch such a content.
      In our home, we have stopped re-charging the Tata Sky every month , but have retained the box and recharge it just to keep the subscription alive.
      Similar is the case with the cable connection, the channels we want are not available, the ones they provide are not worth watching.

OTT streaming has taken over completely, what ever little time available in front of TV / Home theatre.
      Completely agree with this. I rarely switch on the cable TV and when i do I find some error and have to call the cable operator. Thinking of getting it disconnected. An android box running hotstar, YouTube, prime video is far better than set top box in quality as well as the content.
      Hotstar prime costs 1000rs for an year and you get a lot of live channels as well as the capability for our mothers to watch their favourite daily soap without ads and the ability to pause and play.

I just hope that TRAI doesn't f##k with ott pricings too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread Information