• Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Effect of tires on brake pads and rotor

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

Effect of tires on brake pads and rotor

For some reason today was suddenly wondering what the effect of the tires are on brake pads and the rotor.
      I had my verna's rotor's skimmed at 23000km for steering wheel judder and the front brake pads changed at 26000km due to uneven wear.
      I am running michelin xm1+ and I found that the grip level is probably not as satisfactory as I would like it to be.
      To what extent does the grip level from the tires affect the components of the brakes? Poor grip from the tires would obviously mean more stress on the brakes. But how much stress?
      Likewise, would poor alignment mean that one side would be under more stress than the other during braking?

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

You will never be able to *quantify* how much more stress crappy tyres can have on your brakes. But to be on the safer side, it is always better to have good tyres and keep your brakes in good shape.

If you got your rotors skimmed at 23,000 I would say something was seriously wrong. Knowing how you drive, the rotors shouldn't have taken such a beating that soon.

Having said that, good tyres do make a phenomenal difference in the braking ability of a car. Which again can only be felt, not quantified unless you have a VBOX to measure the timings.

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Rotor warping can happen very easily, even from 10 mins of fast driving. I have screwed up brand new rotors too. Experience on Hyundai and Honda only though. But I have a feeling the rest of them would suffer the same fate if you push the car?

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

Would alignment affect brake pad wear? These guys have given me another 15000 to 20000km for the rotors to last. Wouldnt 50000km be too less a life for rotors?
      I know that shyam just had his skimmed at 55000km. Mine was done at like half that time!

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Why skim the rotor at such early stage? Skimming will reduce the thickness of the rotor. And only two to three skims per rotor and you need to replace.

In a passenger car the rotor should last for more than 1 Lakh km. Skimming at 15k / 20 k seems unnecessary.

Can somebody post photos of defective rotor. I will help clarifying the subject. Atleast it will help others before skimming.

Pedal jumping while applying brakes is something different. If it is original rotor, then it must be mfg defect.
      Last edited by thilak.kmb; 23rd Dec 2010 at 05:55. Reason: layout
      I am on right click mode. Always. For more options.

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

The verna's rotors are not that great. Ours needs skimming too, but that's at 70k kms.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      The verna's rotors are not that great. Ours needs skimming too, but that's at 70k kms.
      If you have not done it yet, pls take a snap and post.

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by thilak.kmb View Post
      Why skim the rotor at such early stage? Skimming will reduce the thickness of the rotor. And only two to three skims per rotor and you need to replace.

In a passenger car the rotor should last for more than 1 Lakh km. Skimming at 15k / 20 k seems unnecessary.

Can somebody post photos of defective rotor. I will help clarifying the subject. Atleast it will help others before skimming.

Pedal jumping while applying brakes is something different. If it is original rotor, then it must be mfg defect.
      thilak.kmb - Skimming was done because of steering wheel vibration while braking. As you say 20k km odd seems abnormal for this.
      What is pedal jumping?
      Catch me if you can.....
      '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
      thilak.kmb - Skimming was done because of steering wheel vibration while braking. As you say 20k km odd seems abnormal for this.
      What is pedal jumping?
      Pedal jumping is due to uneven surface of the brake disc. When you apply brakes the disc unevenness will push back the pad which will be reflected in the pedals.
      But you say steering wheel vibration while applying brakes. I dont understand. Please elaborate.

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by thilak.kmb View Post
      Pedal jumping is due to uneven surface of the brake disc. When you apply brakes the disc unevenness will push back the pad which will be reflected in the pedals.
      But you say steering wheel vibration while applying brakes. I dont understand. Please elaborate.
      Nothing to elaborate sir I mean what I say. But I think that this happens in any car as the brake pads wear out and/or the discs start to become uneven. Once it gets heated up and you brake from speeds of say 60 or 70 upwards, you can feel heavy vibration in the steering wheel.
      Catch me if you can.....
      '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

Thread Information