• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Indian Italian Jet...FIAT Linea Tjet

Need more power

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
      While I definitely agree that gear shift feel is not quite delightful as VW's/Hyundai's/Suzuki's, but this certainly isn't/shouldn't a deal breaker.
      Similarly, though clutch travel is long, but at the same time is extremely light. One has to get the priorities right.
      As you rightly said, one cant have best of both the worlds.
      Drove a Fiat for 5 years. Was a 90HP diesel though, same color as yours. Wanted to stick to Fiat so first drove T-jet extensively. Clutch & gearshift are better than Fiat diesels but didn't cut it for me. And then I tried the TSI+DSG and that hit the home run for me. As you correctly mentioned, one has to get the priorities right. I wish more people would have that amount of self awareness as they either end up defending a bad purchase or keep complaining constantly. I miss the hydraulic power steering and I miss the suspension/GC to literally fly over anything. Oh, and the build quality was out of the world. Not a single rattle in 5 years. VW rattles everywhere.
      But then, I am always flying on the TSI/DSG bullet and those other things are a trade off.

BTW, any plans for a remap of that Jet? It has so much more potential than the stock version.
      Last edited by TurboTurbo; 27th Dec 2017 at 10:59.

Good cars take you to Point A
      to point B; Great cars, Well
      they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurbo View Post
      BTW, any plans for a remap of that Jet? It has so much more potential than the stock version.
      As I was out of country for couple of years and back recently, I am yet to experience the full potential of stock Tjet. So, no remap in near future.
      Also, I can vouch for all things mentioned by you regarding massive GC( I am yet to scrap it anywhere) and 0 rattles.
      I recently switched to Michelin's from the shitty oem Good Year and the silence in cabin is just mind blowing to say the least. The only sound I can hear is of turbo spooling which, no matter how hard I try, was not able to in erstwhile GoodYear's.

Punter for life !

Awesome

Both Linea and Vento will be soon discontinued in India. Linea will go first.
      I believe Fiat Egea is going to succeed Linea here, i do have a full year before i look into other options as well but i haven't got a solid source around Egea. DSG is one crazy invention that i would love to see in the 2018 Polo, unless fiat launches a sedan with Auto-transmission(wishful thinking).

Need more power

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by abhinov View Post
      DSG is one crazy invention that i would love to see in the 2018 Polo, unless fiat launches a sedan with Auto-transmission(wishful thinking).
      FCA does have a twin clutch auto in the 1.4 petrol Jeep Compass. They may introduce it in the new Fiat cars as well. I have no idea how it compares to a DSG though.

Good cars take you to Point A
      to point B; Great cars, Well
      they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by abhinov View Post
      i haven't got a solid source around Egea
      I really doubt anything new coming from FIAT before 2020; and that too only if Jeep continues to do good.
      I so want myself to be proven wrong here.

A FIAT with an AT transmission(a bit reliable as well) is the need of hour. Jeep is too costly for an average Joe.

No More Half Measures

Awesome

VW rattles everywhere.
      That's shocking to hear about VW.
      I own a fiat that has 90HP inside a hatch. I can vouch that the Fiats with HPS just invigorates driving pleasure to the full extent.

Need more power

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KPR1 View Post
      That's shocking to hear about VW.
      Why is it shocking? Every premium car manufacturer is struggling to provide a decent quality budget car in India. A 15Lac rupee Vento TSi or a 12Lac rupee Polo TSi may be cutting edge performance powertrains in India but they are still budget economy segment for VW. The overall quality improves significantly with a Jetta/Passat/Octavia etc. It is my opinion that it is hard to build a sub 20lac car in India that an enthusiast will enjoy straight out of the showroom. All of them have a trade off. How I wish I could stretch my budget to a 26L OTR Octavia vRS

Quote Originally Posted by KPR1 View Post
      I own a fiat that has 90HP inside a hatch. I can vouch that the Fiats with HPS just invigorates driving pleasure to the full extent.
      It's certainly a good start for an enthusiast.

DSG rocks!!

Awesome

I guess I'm not going to miss the best of both worlds. Got a Fiat Linea T-Jet waiting for me in my hometown once I reach there in my Polo GT TSI! Having a little of creature comforts isn't that bad
      - In Omnia Paratus -

Brio SMT

Secret

Both Linea and Vento will be soon discontinued in India. Linea will go first.
      Anyway, T-jet is not an upgrade if you drive a Vento TSi. Where Fiats score is hydraulic power steering and the stiff suspension/high GC. The build quality is certainly better than Vento. However, Linea has a super frustrating long travel clutch and a rubbery gear shit. They should have opted for a short shifter. These two cars are a perfect example of how hard it is to get everything right in a budget car. One has the the best engine+gearbox combo but the suspension, brakes, build quality are probably as bad as Maruti. The other is built like a tank, has a class leading steering & suspension but the clutch+gearbox are an extreme let down.
      It will be sad if they discontinue it or leave India market. We need more competition. Having said that after sale service, reliability, maintenance cost is as important as the car. I think these are the main problem rather than car itself

Need more power

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KimiRaikkonen View Post
      It will be sad if they discontinue it or leave India market. We need more competition. Having said that after sale service, reliability, maintenance cost is as important as the car. I think these are the main problem rather than car itself
      If we are talking about Fiat, the after sale service/maintenance cost/reliability are class leading. Their cars are like mini trucks, can go anywhere and you never have to slow down. Service costs were minimal over 5 years of my ownership of a Fiat. The recent crash test giving zero stars to Punto has to be seen through the right perspective. The car is indeed dated. The same car was awarded 5 star rating when it was launched by the same agency. The car has not changed but the standards of safety have gone up and Fiat has failed to keep up. If only they could throw in a bigger/more refined engine instead of that 1.3MJD, the cars would be relevant today. Damn thing has no low end grunt and bottoms out quickly. Who wants to drive all day in mid-range? Anyway, I am digressing. The car, service, spares, ownership costs & reliability are second to none at those price points.

VW service, spares, reliability are a whole different discussion. I have a feeling their lower than global standard is exclusively for India and maybe countries like Mexico. However, the engine+geabox are "Magic". Pure magic!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information